Champ says we are Atlanta bound

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by largartos, Jul 22, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    Oh well now that's just NASTY! Get your head out of the gutter man.:D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    The whole 'new QB' argument is old and tired. People that insist a new QB is a huge disadvantage are stuck in the 80s. You can't argue with data, and the data clearly shows a new QB is not a big disadvantage when that QB is skilled and has good players around them. I'll take a smart, skilled first year QB over an average 5th year senior all day long.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,253
    Actually my head was........awww, never mind! :cool:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,253
    I actually agree with you. I'd like to have more experience for the big games, but normally by the time they are playing that game, they have gotten their feet wet. In the ideal world, you'd like to not be in that situation. That's why playing time early is soooooooooo important.
  5. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    TMI..... just way TMI. o_O
  6. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    But that's just it, we were talking about a 5th year senior, Hutson mason, who also happens to be a "new" starting qb. He obviously isn't super talented if this is his first starting season in 5 years on campus. Don't think we have us a manziel, tebow, winston kind of guy here. I hope I'm not wrong, but his showings last year didn't send chills down my spine.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,253
    True, but Murray was a stud as well. Hard to overcome that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Exactly. People that still hold that belief are probably the same people that still use screensavers, thoroughly rinse their plates before putting them in the dishwasher, and pay in cash everywhere they go. Welcome to modern day.
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,253
    Hey now.......I still rinse my dishes off!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    But's not the argument some folks are making here. The argument is we are in good shape because many of our opponents have first year QBs and we don't. The data simply does not support that argument. It's also not just the Tebow's and Manziel's, who BTW didn't even win their divisions on their first year. It's guys like McElroy, Flynn, Marshall...not exactly once in a generation type talents, but still good enough to lead their teams to SEC championships as first year starters.
  11. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    True, but I think k the argument got a little construed through the last 9 pages or so. It should have never been our qb vs. Their qb because qb's don't effect each other. It should have been our defense vs. Their first time starter. There won't be many defenses better than ours in the whole Country let alone the sec. Bama and maybe, maybe lsu but even those 2 have holes and question marks they haven't had to worry about in recent years. Now regarding georgia, their defense isn't ever really dominant and now they just kicked off practically their entire secondary, just booted another player , DT taylor for a second arrest this summer, and they have a brand new D coordinator in pruitt. That might cause them some issues, at least some growing pains s along the way, the guys McElroy and Flynn by far were not game changers, but more game managers, they had dominant defenses and a stout running game to bail them out and as long as they didn't cough up the ball they were straight. Marshall I would consider a bit of a game changer because of his scrambling ability. He can bail his team out of 3rd and longs and keep drives moving if the offense tends to sputter not to mention auburn ran the same play, the fly sweep over and over to perfection and for some reason no one stopped it. Georgia, although will have a very stout running game barring any issues with their oline, but the defense may just put them in a hole mason may not be able to dig out of. McElroy never really had to pull bama out of large deficits, same with flynn, and Marshall was down against lsu and couldn't come back and they had some luck to come back on UGA and bama. We will see. The guy may just be the next big thing like Samsung or he may end up like a prepaid phone, thrown out like garbage. :)
  12. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,768
    Who from OUR team has 4 career TD kickoff returns, you ask?

[​IMG]
  13. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    If we are using that to base our decisions on, how many players are coming back from injuries for our team? I believe the player on our team that many are pushing up to be great (Driskel) is coming off a very serious injury of his own and folks aren't even considering it being a factor in his performance for next season. We don't know how any of our injured players will be when the season starts. That's why I said it is crazy to just automatically think that the team will be better and the other teams will be worse. We don't know what players might step-up and be the next star on these teams.
  14. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    Sure! So lets say it's a wash. That's where your fandom kicks in and you (we) become a little biased, because we are fans and our team needs us to believe in them. Besides is it really that far fetched to think we can beat 2 teams ( usc & uga) that last year with a third string QB we lost to both by a td combined when we return our key pieces as they are working to find who will be theirs?
  15. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    I mentioned 1 guy, wr byrd from usc who was injured near the end of the season and has yet to even practice yet if I'm not mistaken. That's a little different than driskel who has been deemed 100% healed, participated in ALL spring practices, workouts, and O&B debut, he's picked up a new offense fairly well in only 15 practices and has looked pretty decent while doing it. Yeah he still needs to prove it when it counts but those are all better indicators than a guy coming off of surgery and has yet to practice.

Man some of you guys try hard to kick our team while they're down and some even go of their way to criticize our gators. When is it time to just band together as fans and just friggin get behind our team.? :)
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    It is for Georgia. They were missing key pieces last season, and return a lot of key pieces as well and are 3-0 against Muschamp. I need to see proof on the field before I really start to believe our team is truly championship ready. I will cheer for the team no matter what, but I won't believe until I see it on the field.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    sounds fair enough to me . :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    is it just me or is it crazy the very idea of anybody who is a fan of our team would actually have a problem with the head coach showing confidence and saying we are getting to atlanta! What is so wrong about that? It's certainly better then him walking around with his tail between his legs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,020
    We do have to prove ourselves. No doubt.

But the last time Champ had a team with good experience coming back, we won 11 games. With very little in the way of offense.

If Roper gets Driskel (and the whole offense) performing to potential, we should expect to win double digit games this year even against this schedule, because Champ will put a very strong defense on the field, and we have a lot of ST talent.

Fingers crossed.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,183
    Sounds OK, but can you demonstrate that with some data? To use one anecdote:

In 2000, we had a solid starter and an extraordinarily talented first year RS Freshman at quarterback. having watched them both play, there is no doubt that the RS Freshman was a far more talented quarterback than the senior.

But had that RS freshman started from the beginning, chances are good that we would have lost to Tennessee, Georgia and USCe, in addition to Miss State, as the hotshot RS freshman didn't have the experience of the senior and tended to throw to other jersies when pressured in the effort to do too much. Against Georgia and USCe, the wins were preserved with the senior coming in to relief pitch.

This is why it is safe to say that both Jesse Palmer AND Rex Grossman led the Gators to the SEC title in 2000, just as it is safe to say that both Terry Dean and Danny Wuerffel won titles in 1993 and 1994.

I am sure there are many, many more.