Champ says we are Atlanta bound

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by largartos, Jul 22, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,940
    We had a bad game against Mizzou last year, and no doubt we'll play better this year.

Mauk is for real though. I'll be surprised if he doesn't lead them to a victory or two this season that they have no business winning. Hope we aren't on the receiving end.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,903
    I like to think of it as an art :)
    You are not to bad yourself :) FWIW, I rather enjoy your post. Generally good point of views.
    Just to clarify, I'm not arguing your original point, I just stepped in the cross fire between you and another poster saying usc and uga, even with their long time starters haven't really been offensively threatening to our d. We just couldn't seem to score.

Now on your list of "new" QBs I didn't say any of them were "lucky" , I said they were exceptional players who are more the exception than the rule, guys like manziel, tebow, winston, murray. Those guys were really good qbs. There is a reason they stood out which is because they are better than most. McElroy I would say benefited from a great overall team but otherwise those guys you listed were good.

After last season I don't sell anybody short. But I don't sell our defense short against those guys either. Damn it man I'm trying to get you positive, only about 40 days left or less. We all need to band together for our team :)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,903
    Tell him congrats! And to always remember this rule : "in a argument with his wife, he can either be happy or he can be right, he generally won't be both"
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,903
    Well it's about time you showed up. o_O
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    Agreed. But this isn't the 1990s anymore when you have only one good team (Tennessee) to oppose. He has two or three these days. And unlike most of the 1990s, we also have a far stronger LSU to play than we did back in the Glory Days. From 1992-1999, when LSu was any good, we went 1-1 against them.
  6. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,940
    I like to be fashionably late. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    Good? They went 8-5. Since 2000, every time we went 8-5, we wanted to string up the head coach (or the OC).

Georgia also went 8-5. In Florida terms, that is mediocre.

We'll see how well they do week by week. Thompson doesn't have Shaw's incredible ability to turn 3d and 15 into first downs with desperate scrambling. Had Thompson been the starter, USCe's offense would have been ranked in the 80's rather than 36th. History of USCe's offense under Spurrier supports that.

Time proves all things.

Perhaps, but I am not sold on USCe. Their 11-2 records coincided with Connor Shaw's starts. They will have to convince me they can do it with someone else.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    Mizzou has lost...FOURTEEN...STARTERS. Seven on each side of the ball. C'mon. They recruit as well as Arkansas. This isn't Bama we're talking about.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,940
    I understand that.

And Mauk is a difference maker at QB. My statement is that he will win them a game or two they have no business winning. And with a team that lost 14 starters in the SEC, there should be several on their schedule that they have no business winning (including against us).

With most QBs, you just mark down the L, but not so with this guy. IMO. He's the next closest thing to Manziel in this conference this year... and no way the Aggies put up the records they did the last two years without Manziel.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,903
    Thank you worm! I feel as if I've been saying the same thing.
  11. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Exactly. Look at how Auburn had to go through Georgia, Alabama, and Missouri. They didn't use the old "Well they are good" excuse and lose a hard-fought game. They fought hard and won all 3 games.
  12. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    So now we are saying that he didn't have any experience against SEC teams? Experience is experience. The point is he has playing experience and knows what to expect in game situations.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,032
    Worm... it doesn't matter that the division is harder. Cry me a river! He has said, repeatedly, that success is measured at Florida by making it to Atlanta. Frick the 90's. It's been 2 decades. Everyone knows things are harder and UF can't win the east every year. But being 4-7 right now against the 4 other decent teams in the east just isn't good enough (Vandy, Mizzou, UGA, and USCe). It just isn't.

At the end of the day, it is about results. And yes, the competition is harder, so you can make some allowances, certainly, but at some point you'd like to at the very least win as many as you lose. I don't think that's too much to ask.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,032
    Semantics. Fine, it was an above average team, and Dylan Thompson orchestrated a game winning drive.

I don't get your point.... Hutson Mason started two of those, against two average to above average teams, playing with a beat up roster, and was 1-1 with a very good stat line.

This is my point. Everyone is saying UF has the advantage at QB now, but the fact is, we'll have to see how well ALL of them do, including Driskel, week by week. I'm not counting out Driskel, but I'm not biased enough to count out these other decent QB's as well. We've seen nothing from Driskel on any kind of consistent basis that should lead us to believe that he is better than these other QBs. Or worse.

Yes

They have to convince you but Florida doesn't? How does that make any sense? Especially with UF going through another off season of coaching changes?

The point I've been trying to make that everyone seems to think is some big negative, is just that UF is in the same category as all of these teams this year in the east.

Wait and See.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,903
    I think its not so much we have a advantage at our qb spot with driskel, but more so a disadvantage with there relatively new qb against our defense. New QBs have a penchant for mistakes, it's natural and expected, a great defense can turn those mistakes into points. Our defense did well against those guys predecessors( connor, murray, mettenburger) , who were far more accomplished than them (so far) so I like our chances.

As far as driskel, I'm not sure he gives us any advantage except maybe his athleticism, and maybe his baptism by fire, being thrown into the fray so early, but only time will tell with that, our defense on the other hand, I have full faith they will cause fits for some of these "new" guys.
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    With utterly dominating performances against Georgia and Alabama. Luck played heavily into their gameplan.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    Florida's annual goal of "making it to Atlanta" was established in the 1990s, when it was a LOT easier to "make it to Atlanta." It certainly DOES matter when you have 2-3 opponents with fewer than 4 losses than you do with one:

Year-------Total----# SEC EastOpponents with < 4l/ties--------SEC West Opponents < 4 l/t-- Atlanta?

1992................2..........................2 (2-0)..................................................................0 (0-0)............................Yes (lost)
    1993................2..........................1 (1-0)...................................................................1 (0-1)..............................Yes (won)
    1994................1...........................0 (0-0)..................................................................1 (0-1)..............................Yes (won)
    1995................1...........................1 (1-0)....................................................................0 (0-0)............................Yes (won)
    1996................2...........................1 (1-0)....................................................................1 (1-0)..............................Yes (won)
    1997................4...........................2 (1-1)....................................................................2 (1-1)................................No
    1998................2...........................2 (1-1)....................................................................0 (0-0)..............................No
    1999................2...........................1 (1-0)....................................................................1 (0-1)...............................Yes (lost)
    2000...............0............................0 (0-0)..................................................................0 (0-0).............................Yes (won)

2001................3..........................2 (1-1)....................................................................1 (1-0)................................No
    2002................1..........................1 (1-0)....................................................................0 (0-0)...............................No
    2003................4..........................2 (1-1)....................................................................2 (1-1)................................No *
    2004................3..........................2 (0-2)...................................................................1 (0-1)................................No
    2005................3..........................1 (1-0)....................................................................2 (0-2)...............................No
    2006................2..........................0 (0-0)..................................................................2 (1-1).................................Yes (won)
    2007................2..........................1 (0-1)....................................................................1 (0-1)................................No
    2008................1..........................1 (1-0)....................................................................0 (0-0)..............................Yes (won)
    2009................0.........................0 (0-0)...................................................................0 (0-0)..............................Yes (lost)

2010.................2.........................0 (0-0)...................................................................2 (0-2)..................................No
    2011..................3.........................1 (0-1)....................................................................2 (0-2)..................................No
    2012.................4.........................2 (1-1).....................................................................2 (2-0)..................................No *
    2013.................3.........................2 (0-2)....................................................................1 (0-1)...................................No

* Shared SEC East title

Average # SEC opponents when UF goes to Atlanta:.......1.3
    Average # SEC opponents when UF doesn't go to Atl:.....2.8

Spurrier had great teams in 1997, 1998 and 2001 and didn't go to Atlanta. Conference strength MATTERS.

For some years, it is too much to ask. For others, not so. Let's suppose that Florida finishes the season 11-2, and returns a strong team with only, say, 8 new starters. For such a team, it WOULDN'T be too much to ask to be competitive with everyone.

But the 2013 Florida team was not deep and experienced when the season started, and was a train wreck with injuries. We don't KNOW how the new OC and a bunch of new faces will respond to the challenge. Neither do a lot of other teams. USCe had three 11-2 seasons, but lost the quarterback that guided them to all three seasons. Georgia lost their great QB, as did LSU and Bama. LSU and Bama have so much depth and talent that they generally reload. We generally do as well, but after last year, it is no longer a given.

We cannot EXPECT to be highly competitive with everyone just because we be Da Mighty Gators. We have to earn it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,032
    They are not new QBs!!! That's my point! Hell, Dylan Thompson started a road game against undefeated Missouri last year. He probably has over 300 snaps as a QB in D1. Mason probably has about the same, maybe a bit less and the same with Mauk! Worley has almost as many starts and snaps Driskel.

At what point do they stop being new?
  19. keypox

keypox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    I like the returning starters, and the excitement around the new offense. We got some solid backs, and a strong QB. A defense that should be top notch. My biggest concern is coaching... can this staff actually produce.
  20. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,032
    Ok, worm, you are arguing past me. I told you, I don't give a crap about the 90's. That was 20 years ago. I'm not comparing today to the 90's. I'm not asking for a trip to Atlanta every single year.

I don't give a crap about steve spurrier, either. He hasn't been here in 13 years.

Coach Muschamp has said, that anything short of Atlanta, is a failure for Florida football. So maybe someone should tell HIM that his expectations are unrealistic.....