Champ says we are Atlanta bound

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by largartos, Jul 22, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    Very poetic Bear Bryant! Thank you. :D Seriously though I agree but one question, would you be happy with a 9-4/ 8-5 year if we avg 35+points and became exciting football again playing well in each of those losses? Because there is a whole thread of posters that would love to disagree.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +321
    Pssst. I think his point is that a team that plays well every game won't lose 4 or 5 games per year.
  3. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    It depends what one means by 'play well.'

In 2012 we played EXCELLENT defense and special teams. So if someone says we didn't play well in 2012, I can only assume they are talking about our crap offense.

But you can lose a ton of games playing well on offense. We had the #1 offense in the SEC the year Zook was fired. We were near last in offense in 2012 but went 4-1 against top 10 teams.

Playing well means winning games... the great majority of games aren't won (or lost) by luck.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    As a fan of football I watch it for the enjoyment of the game. Love seeing it played at the highest level in the college ranks. Sure wins and championships are nice but for me personally I get my enjoyment from watching the game played beautifully and find myself intrigued by the Xs and Os of a great play. For me that's why I watch. So a crappy win doesn't do much for me except make me wait for the other foot to drop.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Zook could never get the team to play a complete game. We would either look dead in the 1st Half and come out smoking in the 2nd Half, or look great in the 1st Half and fall apart in the 2nd Half. We won in 2012, but you aren't going to have sustained success playing that way. Especially not in this conference. Barely surviving against ULL is not going to cut it in this league. You might have 1 or 2 good seasons, but sustained success comes from playing well on both sides of the ball. You are always going to have that game where your great offense gets shut down or held in check by a great defense, or a great defense get blasted by a great offensive performance.
  6. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    NO! The bottom line is we went on to a bcs bowl game and was one win or even one ND loss from playing g in the big game. If the playoffs were installed that year we would have been one of the 4 teams. So apparently wins and losses are the only thing that matters to achieving our goal and when we went into Jacksonville we were undefeated and we went into Doak campbell stadium and whipped the clowns. Wait wasn't that after the Georgia game? Looks as if UGA wasn't the only one to play well after the cocktail party. :)
  7. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    1 out of our last 5 games?

Again like I said in my other post. Playing that way may lead to success in spots, but it can't be sustained in this league. You have to play well on both sides of the ball. That means putting points on the board, and stopping the other team from scoring.
  8. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,197
    Or to put it simply..style points are gone.
  9. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,866

In spots? We finished our regular season Co - division champs and going 11-1. That's not in spots, that's a whole season. The problem is you are measuring "success" off of our offense and not our actual game results. Which 11 of 12 were victories.

I suppose I'm having a hard time figuring out how we played 5 top 10 teams out of 12 games, going 4-1 against them with our only loss coming by 8 points in a close game yet we were not a good team? So what we're the 4 top ten teams we BEAT if we were not good?

I fully understand our offense was limited to rushing for 200+ yards per game and was stagnant a lot of the time, but our Sp. Teams and defense were stellar which provided us the only thing that will get us to our goal: WINS!!!

There's no wrong way to eat a reeses!!!
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    You do realize I am talking about multiple seasons right? That was 1 season where barely surviving games managed to go in our favor. That philosophy would never be sustainable across multiple seasons. Because it would only be a matter of time when the SP.teams breaks down(see 2013), defense meets a team that has found ways to move the ball and score against them(see Louisville), or the very conservative offense makes several mistakes that lead to a defeat(pick any game). That may have worked for 2012, but it would not have worked in 2013, 2014, 2015, etc.....
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    really?

Ummm......

Soooo....
    Yeah, I think I might have missed that part. :)
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  12. Traemoo66

Traemoo66 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,803
    You're confusing ugly football (pounding the rock) with bad football. The two are far from the same thing.

In context of the roster we had, the football we played in 2012 was not just good, it was out-freaking-standing.

What you are looking for is not just playing well, but both playing pretty and playing well. I certainly understand as a fan why you'd want that. You're spending money to be entertained. But let's not confuse the desire for a certain style of entertainment with quality of football being played.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Traemoo66

Traemoo66 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    WM in my mind can turn it around and save his job. He will have to trust that Roper can get productivity out of the QB spot. I feel the most important thing WM needs to improve on is player development across the board..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Yeap looks like you did.

You know when you cherry-pick things, you tend to miss key parts of posts such as....

16. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,866

Yep! It's the funnest part. Relax, I'm just bull sh*ting with you. I knew you mentioned a couple other seasons with in the last few pages. :) and in general probably were meaning more. But what me and you were discussing as well as with other poster's was about that season, the last half in particular.

I'm telling you what my friend, one day you are gonna shock the hell out of me and actually say something positive about this team, I think it(success) is coming so you just enjoy being mr. Negative willie while you still can cause (hopefully) soon you won't be able to contain your excitement and enthusiasm. :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. buckalito

buckalito New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    New offence that fits Jeff. Great defense;. = sec east champ and playoff.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    Show me just about any national champion and I'll show you a team that barely survived some games. Gotta take the good (beating LSU, FSU, dominating USCe) with the bad.
    • Agree Agree x 4