Champ Post-Game Presser

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by akaijenkins1, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    miami's D line dominated fla's o-line---that QB sneak had no chance.
  2. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Your right. I was being disrespectful and I should not. I openly admit his defenses are incredible. I's be a fool to argue otherwise. However, his offenses have been riding the coat tails of his D. His offense is flat out terrible. The fact that he is a great D coach, IMO, makes him mule stubborn to the point of denial on offense. It is pretty common phenomina by the way. People who are elite level at one discipline, think they can do everything at the same level. If things don't change on offense Uf will lose a lot of games this year.
  3. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    UF bested UM statistically in total offense (413-212), passing yards (291-162), rushing yards (122-50), first downs (22-10), third-down efficiency (.400-.090) and time of possession (38:20-21:40).

I'm sorry but that is not terrible, that's pretty damn good. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.

There's a few little nagging things about the O, but on a macro level it works when we don't turn the ball over 5 times.
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,455
    Agree that players turn the ball over, not coaches. But- gosh and I hate to use them as an example- Bama doesn't turn the ball over. Coaching, clarity of play design, not enough reps, ??? I don't know, honestly.
  5. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

FYI, I am a long time Bucs fan and was witness to the Tony Dungy years here. I can honestly say it is possible for a defensive minded coach to ignore the offense or have such a conservative philosophy it is detrimental. I'm not say CWM is the that way but I am saying that it is possible. We had to fire him to take that next step in Tampa. Dungy was completely hands off in Indy with the offense btw.

Just food for thought.
  6. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    You are absolutely correct. Sadly though, and based on what we have been reading on this board the past week now--even IF we had not turned the ball over 5 times and would have won the game by a nice, wide margin.....there would STILL be grumbling about the offense, even with those numbers you posted.

Those offensive numbers above are exactly as you said--pretty damn good. But whether or not it would have appeased those who want to be entertained...even WITH a win yesterday...remains to be seen. Sadly this is the state of too many fans around here now. Put out substantially dominating offense stats across the board... and win the game---it would still be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The difference in a win and a loss yesterday were the turnovers. Period. Everything else was right up there where complainers have been clamoring for offensively, and they STILL don't see the offensive production for what it was.

Our offense--in and of itself--did not lose the game yesterday. Untimely turnovers did, but not the offensive production.
  7. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    LoL, how do you know what people would have said if we won? You dont. I don't think anyone was clamoring for better offense after we beat LSU 14-6 with only 60 yards passing on just 12 attempts and 237 yards overall with two turnovers. Was anyone complaining about the O after it played well and we won by a nice margin over UT and FSU? Heck no.

The only job of the offense is to produce points. Not yards, first downs or TOP.

We had decent stats against Toledo too, but guess what? We didn't produce a lot of points for all those stats we accrued. And the people that observed that weren't going to be "just happy with the win" because they could see that the offense was a unit that was lacking in the big play, was prone to mistakes like penalties and turnovers, and lacked a nose for the end zone while inside the 20. And all of those things came to fruition, and caused us to lose to Miami and will cause us to lose in the future, no matter how many wins we eek out in the meantime. You can't just say, "well a win is a win". I mean, you can but I choose to be a little more nuanced in my thinking than that.

That being said, its only fair that I dont take the view point that "a loss is a loss". And you are right, I did see some nice things out of the offense. We just need to start eliminating the mistakes and generating a lot more points. And SOON.

Perhaps if we took the same game plan of throwing the ball downfield more against Toledo, JD could have worked out some of the kinks last week instead of opening it up for the first time on the road against Miami. In our 3 "meltdown games" (UL, UGA, and UM) we hadn't had a real strong performance from the offense (especially through the air) for about a month preceding those games. So maybe it is lack of practice in live situations and trying to "flip the switch" that is proving difficult for us.
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,796
    Exactly right.
  9. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Maybe last year was fluky and Boom's offenses are turnover prone, look at 2011.
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    Totally agree. I would rather lose to LSU than this game.
  11. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    After the Toledo game everyone was saying how good our RBs were and how much depth we had at that position. Now our RBs aren't very strong.

If I could pick between us and UM as a team to play our schedule the rest of the season I'd pick us over UM and it wouldn't even be close. We outplayed them in almost every facet of the game. They didn't stop us from scoring, we stopped ourselves with the TOs and penalties.
  12. socraticsilence

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Given that Champ focuses all his time on the defense, puts the majority of our recruiting emphasis on defense and that when we bring two way players in we only try them on offense as an afterthought (Purifoy, Gideon, C. Burton, Orr, etc) is it possible he's too defense heavy to ever let a truly great offense develop because a great offense takes risks and that might hurt the defense where the vast majority of the talent is?
  13. socraticsilence

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Also is Mcneely the next great walk-on superstar? He plays as much as Fullwood and Robinson so I figure the guy must be a stud.
  14. socraticsilence

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Our running game has just gone against two of the worst run defenses in America.
  15. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Penalties have been killing us for a long time. Under Urban we at least had enough offense to overcome that. Against toledo penalties killed a couple of our drives and extended a couple of theirs, even resulting in points for them if I recall. Georgia does not seem like a fluke any longer. It is now becoming a pattern. We have seen Driskill get hit in the pocket and fumble over and over. It happened with Toledo. Sometimes it makes no difference, and sometimes it results in a loss. Part of it is the offensive line/running backs and part of it is the quarterback. It should have been fixed long ago. The fact that it still happens is quite disturbing.
  16. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    The object of offense is to score points.

UF had 9 points vs Miami until Miami went into a prevent. UF had 24 points vs a crappy Toledo team. UF played crappy offense vs Louisville and was a turnover machine.

It is getting ridiculous to hear the same "we need to clean a few things up" description of the offense and it will be fine... the offense is a disorganized mess that dabbles is 4 or 5 different concepts and has zero continuity. The defenders of the Offense have the "ifs" and "buts" ready to explain/ justify the errors. Maybe the sun was in the coaches eyes. What we see on the field is not a fluke it is habitual.

The O does the same thing over and over and over again and somehow expects different results.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. swampgator89

swampgator89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    This! So true. Matt Jones looked slow to me.
  18. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Well said. That prevent also led to a chunk of that "total yards" figure posters keep extolling.
  19. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Did anyone else find it odd how much WM was harping on the defense's slow start? Spoken like a true defensive coordinator I suppose...

I thought the defense played lights out. They played like a dominant pitcher who pitched a complete game and gave up 2 solo home runs and lost 2-1 because the offense was so inept. And really even the other Miami TD was only a 50 yard drive after Jones' fumble.

They held Miami to 200 yards. Basically only gave up 14 points. Duke Johnson under 3ypc. 1-11 on 3rd down conversions.

It's a shame that our defense can't make one slip-up without costing us the game. IMO, they deserved nothing but praise. If our offense made only 1 big mistake like the defense did we'd be talking about a 31-14 win right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    The problem is more every 4th and short is a QB sneak.