Champ Post-Game Presser

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by akaijenkins1, Sep 7, 2013.

1. jbaker07

jbaker07 Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I agree with you for the most part here, the two picks that Driskel threw in the red zone were 100% on him. I was in the stands, and on the first pick there was nobody open, so that ball needed to be thrown to the fans. Instead he tried to force a late throw over the middle of the field, both of which are no-nos. On the second INT it looked like Driskel again threw the ball late. Even if that pass had been completed it was going be well short of the first-down, so I put some of the blame on the play call in this situation.

I cannot agree with Muschamp on this one. When we lined up to attempt the two point conversion, I initially thought that we would just motion all the players to the middle of the field and attempt the PAT. So I could not believe it when we actually attempted the two-point conversion.

I just do not see the purpose of going for two points in that scenario. Miami had just capitalized on Matt Jones' turnover with a touchdown, and had all the momentum in their favor. Then we block a punt, which we promptly converted into 6 points. Why risk missing the two-point conversion and giving some of that momentum back to UM? I realize he said that we missed the block, but to me that is a high risk, low reward play, and one that I do not want to see in the future (unless necessary).

I understand why you would be frustrated by this; I was somewhat annoyed watching Robinson and Fullwood running off the field constantly. However, it appears that the top wideouts are 1.) Dunbar 2.) Burton and 3.) Patton, with Robinson and Fullwood as the next best options. It is pretty scary to think that one of our top wideouts has played numerous positions since he arrived on campus (Burton) and the other has a frame smaller than Chris Rainey. One can only hope that our freshmen wideouts develop at a rapid pace throughout the season.

I noticed this from the stand as well. There were a number of times where there appeared to be a nice cutback lane(s) available to Jones (in particular) and he instead plowed straight into the line of scrimmage. Hopefully it was a case of him being rusty from having missed all of camp, but he definitely missed the chance to make some bigger plays.

It is hard to say whether Taylor/Herndon have better vision than Jones at this point given the limited number of game reps that both have received, but some of the runs today had me wondering. Muschamp went on record and called Matt Jones "and elite SEC tailback," so I am hopeful that Jones will improve in this aspect as the season rolls along.

I was also disappointed with the offensive line today, I know that we have had to shuffle personnel around due to injuries, but they did not generate the type of push that I expected. Given the way that we were able to run the ball against SEC teams when the offensive line was healthy last year, I expecting them to have their way with UM's front seven.

However, the line seemed to pass protect well today, so hopefully when Halapio comes back from injury they can put a complete game together against Tennessee.
  2. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +70

But did anyone grade out a Champion?
  3. slocala

slocala Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I agree with the OP. The turnovers are the story of this game. Coach will get them ready for UT. Watch the player interviews. I'm proud of those kids, even in a loss.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Bad plays by a qb arent always the qbs fault....some of you need to look closely. The first pick was definitely his fault it seems...but Im not sure what routes were called and it looks like Driskel just tried to force it. Second pick...the sideline pass could have been avoid if Trey Burton turns his head and since he was already at the sideline...why not turn your head?

The TE group is beyond mediocre and should only block. We recruited two top TEs in the country 2 years ago and Im not sure whats going on.

The OL did ok for some plays...and we did run a lot of finesse run plays out of necessity...the canes crowded the line and wanted us to throw. Third and longs are killers. We got one pick and could have had more....and dont understand why we arent stripping the ball...but our defense is the best in the country.

This loss reminds me of 1989 opening game of the season when Kyle Morris was qb and Emmitt was our jr rb...we out gained Ole Miss by a LOT and it was a home game too. We just played giveaway and lost. Head scratcher ,,,,Morris was later suspended for gambling along with some frosh qb named Shane Matthews.
  5. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    the SEC is all that matters--losing to some acc team early will not hurt UF in the title chase---if they win out, they will play for the crystal--book it.
  6. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    This.
  7. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    That game means a lot to people who live in South Florida. This was a hated rival and their is no "next year" to make it up. This will hurt for years.
  8. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    I think even Jeff would take responsibility for the plays today. Poor decision making - it happens. Everyone has a bad day.
  9. panamagator

panamagator Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Coach strong
  10. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    It's not on the HC because we don't have a good backup to put in if we pull Jeff. Maybe you can blame the HC for that but not for leaving Jeff in the game. We don't have anyone else.
  11. rmonteag

rmonteag Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    How do you Muschamp is meddling? You dont...
  12. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Yeah, but we kind of know he is though don't we.
  13. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Why don't we have a good backup?
  14. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    You do realize that we were down 2 starting linemen for the whole game and 3 in the second half. I Ashe
  15. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    "No penalties or else you're not getting a paycheck this week" said Nick Saban to his players before the game
  16. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,079
    Exactly....that sounds like the 'PD apology/explanation tour' scheduled to take place every Monday.
  17. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Did you just say that? Were the yards not dramatic enough to safely round it up to 3.5 yards per carry? If the yards were heroic, could we safely round up to 4.0 yards per carry? Seriously? Are there inherent dangers in rounding numbers for running backs?
  18. Loco

Loco Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    My liver did.
  19. docspor

docspor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    ^^^^ awesomeness
  20. Taxg8r00

Taxg8r00 Member