Chamber of Commerce to the House: Knock it off

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    In a letter today also signed by other trade associations, the chamber told the Congress to quit the toddler tantrum which is damaging the country.

"WASHINGTON -- An unusually broad coalition of trade associations and lobbying groups, led by the powerful U.S. Chamber of Commerce, issued a letter Monday to members of Congress, urging them to fund the government and raise the nation's debt ceiling.

Coming from groups like the U.S. Chamber, which contributed millions of dollars in 2012 to help elect Republicans to Congress, the letter was a strong rebuke to the House GOP leadership. Late Monday, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) was still threatening to shut down the government unless essential provisions of the Affordable Care Act were dismantled or delayed.

The letter acknowledged the importance of reining in federal spending, a key Republican priority that some in the party have used to justify their dogmatic refusal to fund the government starting Tuesday unless Obamacare is defunded. "However, with the U.S. economy continuing to underperform, the federal government needs to maintain its normal operations pending a successful outcome of broader budgetary reforms," the 251 groups wrote. "It is not in the best interest of the employers, employees or the American people to risk a government shutdown that will be economically disruptive and create even more uncertainties for the U.S. economy."

The wide swath of trade groups that signed the letter reflects a deep fear among American businesses that a U.S. government shutdown, which would immediately furlough approximately 40 percent of the federal workforce on Oct. 1, would harm exports, shut down vital services that industry relies upon and potentially cost the U.S. economy hundreds of millions of dollars...

.The letter made it clear that Republican lawmakers who refuse to fund the government will find themselves at odds with the undisputed king of special interest groups, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which spent more than $30 million bolstering Republican candidates in 2012."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/30/chamber-of-commerce-government-shutdown_n_4018959.html
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    Is that is what you call compromise? Demand, demand, demand... yeah, we know....
  3. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +168
    Democratic compromise...our way or the highway.
  4. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Compromise what? What's the offer?
  5. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    How about cutting spending back the 2007 levels for a start.
  6. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,058
    If any part of government succeeded at revisiting something they didn't like over and over again, next to nothing would ever get done.
  7. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    That's not a compromise. No wonder your party is busy shooting itself in the foot.
  8. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    I understand the "what compromise?" sentiment, but that statement had me more wondering when the Chamber of Commerce apparently became Democrats?
  9. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,198
    Damn bunch of commies. How dare they talk to the House like that
  10. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Reminds me of the "My Cousin Vinnie" poolroom scene:

Vinny Gambini:
    I understand you played a game of pool with Lisa for two hundred dollars, which she won. I'm here to collect.

J.T.:
    How 'bout if I just kick your a.s?

Vinny Gambini:
    Oh a counter-offer. That's what we lawyers - I'm a lawyer - we lawyers call that a counter-offer. This is a tough decision here. Get my a.s kicked or collect two hundred dollars. Let me think... I could use a good a.s-kickin', I'll be very honest with you... nah, I think I'll just go with the two hundred.

J.T.:
    Over my dead body.

Vinny Gambini:
    You like to renegotiate as you go along, don't you? Well here's my counter-offer... do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever loving sh.t out of you?

J.T.:
    In your dreams.

Vinny Gambini:
    Oh no no... in reality. If I was to kick the sh.t out of you, do I get the money?
  11. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    The Chamber of Commerce in my area is dominated by a bunch of fat white liberal lawyers living off of the government. It's not your father's COC by any stretch.
  12. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    Let it blow up and start over.

Last election you bashed the chamber, now they say something you agree with and they are preaching the gospel.

Hypocritical as hell. Typical.
  13. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    Spending our children's future is un-American.
  14. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Vinny later becomes Obama's WH counsel and walks into Congress:

Vinny Bambini:

You guys need to pass this CR so the president can continue running the government like he's supposed to.

Boehner:

How 'bout I just throw a fit and make a mockery of my position, party, and the country?

Vinny Bambini:

Oh, a counter offer. That's what we lawyers call a counter offer. This is tough decision - we could use some help in the midterms, what with your making a mockery of your position and party, I gotta' be honest. Hmmmm, you throw a fit or we get the government funded. We'll take the funding.

Boehner:

Over my dead body.

Vinny Bambini:

You like to negotiate as you go along don't you? Well here's my counteroffer. How 'bout we just let you throw a fit and wait for your handlers to slap some sense into you?

Boehner:

In your dreams.

Vinny Bambini:

No, in reality. When your handlers slap some sense into you, we'll get the funding.
    Anyone see this ending some other way? You know - in reality?
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The republican proposals all raise the debt as does the cost of this tantrum.

[​IMG]
  16. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,545
    dems believe the only way they compromise is for pubs to come their way-they NEVER move towards the pubs-NEVER
  17. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    Again, when did the national Chamber of Commerce (a huge source of GOP contributions) become the "dems"?
  18. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I feel your pain bill, but what is the offer? You can't come to a "compromise" empty handed. How about raising the top tax rate to 1950's levels or maybe a single payer health plan?
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +515
    Since you are running on the other thread are you willing to man up and answer how a "single payer health plan" or adding over 200 million people to the government healthcare liabilities will help our debt and deficit problem here?

Let's hear how the federal buget will be helped by adding over 200 million people to the governments healthcare liabilities.
  20. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,004
    Republican negotiating. There's a gun to your head, you need to make concessions!