CFN: Florida Gator Preview 2014

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Aug 3, 2014.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,044
    This preview was released in May and I honestly don't know if abyone posted it here previously but I think it IMHO is a fair and accurate analysis of the team and what to look for this season.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1404479.html
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    Great catch! One of the most accurate and comprehensive reviews I've read.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DBCooper

DBCooper Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    McGee will be a huge addition in Roper's offense. Hope he and Driskel have been playing a lot of pitch and catch. Also pray Debose comes back healthy.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,791
    Good read, but they didn't mention Robinson at wr. That's a bit odd
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    He didn't do anything last year. Sounds like he is ready to step up this year, though. Hope so. He has play maker written all over him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,395
    Nice write-up . It seems pretty accurate, though I don't agree with the following:
    I think most Gator fans understand Jeff has not had much of a chance yet. As true freshman, both he and Brisset were thrown into the fire. He had a good season for a sophomore in '12. His junior year was when he was really supp0sed to start to show something, but he was injured too early.

And many Gator fans, if not most, understand that we've had issues at the OL and offensive skill p0sitions. Jeff hasn't had enough of a chance for Gator fans to "love to blame" him. I don't see why other SEC fans want to mock him either. They haven't seen enough of him to mock him.
  7. ironhead1

ironhead1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    If we are 5-1 going into LSU with a strong showing in Tuscaloosa I will be ecstatic.
    Good article but I'm not sure they gave the hire of Roper and the new offense enough credit or even coverage.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ironhead1

ironhead1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Sorry 4-1
  9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,129
    Pittman didn't do much last year either I don't think. I think Robinson, Fullwood, Dunbar, Thompson, Debose, and TE's McGee and Goolsby will have the total bulk of all the catches this year anyway. NOTE: It almost gives me shudders to mention that many WR's and TE's for us that could be reliable playmakers this year. :D

Notice the wroter didn't delve into the internal coaching problems that caused some of our problems too. Also, Driskel doesn't just have a mid-range arm. he can launch the deep ball very well when given time.

Needless to say, as a former QB, when I think of all the Nth degree potential Driskel has, and a proven QB developer like Roper to mentor him... just let me say that with Jeff's experience and physical development at the college division level QB position (4 years now), I think he's going to literally look like a totally different player this year, and resemble a senior, veteran leader. I think he has a very good season. I'm not saying "spectacular" (he'd need a full year under his belt in this new O), but I'm thinking very good nonetheless.

I think he's going to surprise the heck out of a lot of us this season.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,044
    Gray, I agree with what you've said about Jeff. The guy I'm looking forward to also seeing in action is Treon Harris. He took his HS team to 2 state championships and a consensus National Championship. Thanks to Roper who took him away from the Noles. He's a special and dynamic player that can really makes things happen. He's played in a system similar to Ropers in HS-an uptempo spread so he should be able to adjust quickly here!
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    Good stuff.

This offense should definitely fit JD better and that has to help his game. We have much better skill position talent as you point out. Hopefully the work they did on accuracy and touch for deep throws will pay off... if so, we'll stretch he field both vertically and horizontally, and put a lot of pressure on defenses. The final piece is him having the right mindset in the red zone.

If all of that comes together, we will have a great season, and JD could get some Heismann votes. Realistically, I am not expecting all that. Hope he picks it up in the red zone, and protects the ball. That will take us a long way.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,791
    Agree, he has the most upside though which is why I found it odd they didn't mention him, it's not like fullwood and Pittman did much either..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,105
    I'm looking forward to see in what Alvin Bailey does as well?.had an awesome spring and caught everything that was thrown his way.
    • Like Like x 1