Cell Phone Data Use

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by G8trGr8t, May 7, 2014.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,712
    Since yesterday am my wife's galay s2 has used over 12 gb of data even though she uses little to no data. No new apps added, nothing obvious but at&t is showing over 12gb of use even though it was connected to wifi all night.

options, suggestions??at&t hasn't been much help, just trying to sell her more data even though in last 2 years she has not ever used over 300 mb in a month.

thanks
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,820
    tell her to turn off her blue tooth-and make sure all her apps are closed
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,712
    too much usage for just apps and/or bluetooth
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +7,820
    probably but we found my wife using her pandora all day long made her data use go batchit crazy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. umcpgator

umcpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    In settings there is data usage, you can check what apps are using all the data for both mobile and wifi, just scroll down. You can also set quotas for the phone to warn you at a limit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,234
    She would have to be streaming video almost continually for that. Pandora would not do that.
    Pandora only uses about 60mb per hour. My guess is there is an error.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    12gb sounds extremely high. I am on my phone all day long and barely ever get close to my 2gb limit. Is it possible that her phone is being used as a hotspot somehow? I dont know if its possible to hack into someones phone and use it that way but I wouldnt be surprised. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge of phones can help you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,712
    she doesn't even have pandora. what kind of error? could the phone have been cloned and the clone is using all the data??
  9. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    we as a family(2 teenage girls!) get 10 gigs a month they're on their phones non stop plus I'm guilty myself. We went over once, last two days of the cycle. I leave a ton of my apps running in the background also. Leaf may be onto something w/the hot spot hack.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,234
    My guess is that the bill might not show that data usage, and it may correct itself. If it is just showing up on the phones log...I had that happen before I had an unlimited plan back when i had a data limit. It never showed on the bill.

If ATT is showing it on their end though, than its an issue.

There is virtually no way she used that much data without constant video streaming.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,234
  12. 1992tel

1992tel Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Does she watch video or movies over wifi? I ask because you want to turn off the AT&T data setting while using wifi because the device defaults back to AT&T data if the wifi connection is lost. Also keep in mind data usage can take up to 48 hours to update.so the notices being sent can reflect usage from 2 days ago.

Streaming high def video is the most common reason for that much usage in that short of a time frame. High def uses about 3 times the amount of data as standard def. Using the portable hotspot to tether another device like a gaming system will also use that much. Actually more

I work in tech support for AT&T so I see this all of the time. Most of the time usage is due to wifi not being on or connected while streaming video ( Netflix, youtube etc). Any app that allows you to stream audio or video can also cause this. Navigation apps will use a lot but, probably not that much.

The real question is what does she do with the device while on wifi and has she started using any new apps recently? Also does anyone else have access to the device?

Your phone leaves a trace on the network when it connects to data so the amount of usage can be verified but, not what was used in terms of apps and websites visited. I've seen a few situations where a faulty device caused the issue but that is rare to be honest.

If all else fails you can always call back and speak with a manager because if this has never happened before you may be able to get a credit for the overages.

Hope this helps
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 1992tel

1992tel Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    If you use mobile hotspot on you device I recommend going into your hotspot settings and changing your SSID. That is your hotspot name. Then, if your phone allows it hide your hotspot.

When others look for wifi your hotspot won't show up on their list. They can search manually but will need your SSID to find it. Of course make sure you password protect it.
  14. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    Yeah that's a good point all my video apps(netflix,vudu,TV apps) are set to wi-fi only. It'll pause playback or else it can easily go unnoticed
  15. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +7,820

love that picture-was at that game
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,712
    thanks for all the feedback. notice of data overages still showing up today. att store wiped phone but they were non-committal on charges. wife is going to go ballistic if she gets charge. still cannot figure out what could have caused it unless she got some kind of virus that was routinely sending stuff. found a blog post on att about some phoens that had a failure in some of their firmware code that would occasionally cause this problem. from the blog

If you have the SGH-i777 (aka the original Galaxy S2), there was a known bug in APMboile app that will use a lot of data. This bug was patched in 2.3.6 update. If your phone still runs the original 2.3.5 firmware, try (1) update to the new firmware (but it has other bugs that cause excessive battery drain) (2) call AT&T to credit your data overage back because it was caused by their App and you can not remove it (require root).

Yes, if you're on UCKH7 (the original factory firmware, prior to the OTA update), you should be able to get your data overages refunded due to the usage being caused by a misbehaving app that AT&T put into the firmware, which is not removable without voiding the phone's warranty.

The Galaxy S2 has this app called "AP Mobile" which takes a HUGE amount of data from the phone, and the only way to remove it is to root your phone...it really sucks...I used to have the S2 and it was horrible, and it was one of the main reasons I switched my phone...i now have the S3 and NO problems

You can see people with the same problem here

- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1098206

- http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-ii/124256-ap-mobile-constantly-using-data.html
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    AT&T needs to be investigated, AFAIC. Overcharging is an art form for that crap-a$$ company.