CBS "experts" Conference Selections

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Sep 30, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +58
  2. VTGator

VTGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    You linked to 2012-2013.

2013-2014 is here. All 6 pick UK to win SEC, and 5/6 pick Gators to finish second.
  3. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +58
    I know. After I saw this years today, I looked up last years. I posted them first for all the people who love to slurp slurp slurp UK hype.
  4. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    Glad I chose the Kentucky and Tennessee games as part of my 3 game package.

Not part of the SEC, but funny who was the only guy who didn't pick Kansas in the big 12
  5. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +58
    Everyone picking KU at least has the excuse that they have won at least a share of the title for over a decade, I think. Gottlieb picking his alma mater is funny, but then again he knows people and has relatives there so why not.
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    I should do a correlation between these picks and the games that CBS is showing. I bet it is really high.
  7. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    So last year they almost all picked UK as well? Glad Insti accidentally posted last year to give us a bit of perspective.
  8. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +58
    And almost all pick UK also the year before too. That means they were not able to distinguish between the team that swept through the SEC regular season and won the NCAA tourney from the team that limped into the NIT and lost in the first round. I would say it is established that those picks have NO predictive value.

Really it is not that much of a surprise. UK has little track record in college basketball each year. So each year is a crap shoot as to how good they will be.
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,118
    Gottlieb has Missouri?

That's rich. :smoke:
  10. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +801
    I'd pick Kentucky as well, but that could easily change after the first few games of the season. It's hard to imagine that team not being good/great, but we'll see. They may not have the experience needed.
  11. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +406
    OK State in the Big 12

(And he didn't pick Notre Dame in the ACC. He did play for them until expelled.)
  12. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +58
    Why?

My thought are this year:

1. UK missed on the top rated frosh, Wiggins, and the second rated frosh Parker.

2. Noel left and there is not a shot blocking type frosh in this class ala Davis/Noel.

3. Unlike Calipari's first several years, they again have zero guard experience and it is not clear they have a PG on their squad at all. (And yes I know some A. Harrison is said to be the greatest PG ever or something. I have found over the years that the 6'4" high school PG is more often than not a SG in college. Just like the elusive big CB in football, the high school 6'2" CB who is more often than not a safety in college. Certainly this skepticism cause you to doubt Earvin Johnson, but you end up right to be skeptical more than wrong.)

4. The best of their frosh, Randle, is in some ways a comp to the best frosh last year or at least the top NBA draft pick Bennett who did not lead UNLV anywhere last year. Great PG and post players are usually the guys that get you somewhere. 3s, 4s, and 5s are usually more complementary.

So those are some of my reasons not to slurp slurp slurp the UK hype again this year. I have yet to hear a good reason to buy into their class.
  13. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +922
    There is a lot unknown -- to me -- about the Gators. Want to see DFS and Harris play with the returners, and I want to see how Hill and Carter play (and hopefully Walker). I can see us being a strong team with a lot of depth that gives UK everything it can handle. I can also see us being mediocre.
  14. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +406
    Wilbekin and Frazier are very solid High Div 1 players. WY and PY are also very good. 4 of 5 spots are locked down with proven talent. We would really have to suck bad at the 3 to be mediocre even with spotty back-up at the other 4 positions.

We know this Gator squad will be very good. It is a question about how good.
  15. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +58
    Exactly and add in that:

1. Finney-Smith and Harris both are solid high major D1 players who put up numbers that dominate or are arguably better than Yeguete.

2. Prather is a capable high major D1 player too.

That gives UF 7 proven high major D1 players. Five of these 7 have started at least one year in either the SEC or ACC. The only position UF does not have a proven starter is at the two guard and I have not counted Carter in this yet. He is a proven college SG.
  16. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +663
    The great thing about basketball is we will all find out soon enough. I personally think both Florida and Kentucky will give teams hell.

Jeff
  17. jdubb34

jdubb34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I would add too that most reports from those that had a chance to watch practices all have said DFS may be the best player on the squad, including last years team. Also, it isn't like the transfers are just coming into the program, like Eli. They have had over a year to play and acclimate to Donovan's system and the rest if the players. I think this team has a high ceiling.
  18. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +58

Well the problem with the reports that Finney-Smith is the best player on the squad is we heard the same reports with Macklin and Rosario but they were not when they actually played. Sort of like the UK frosh being the best players in the history of the world every year. BTW, did you see Pitino thrown gas on the UK hype fire today?

I do think pointing out that Finney-Smith and Harris have been in the program a year is a very good point. There is of course some uncertainty how well any new player will fit on a team. As you say, when they have had a year to learn to play with the other players, then everyone has a better chance of fitting together.