CBB roundtable: Are the Gators a top five team?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 08gatorbait, Dec 12, 2013.

1. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    We are better than WI, and UConn.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    Nice to finally be in the discussion.
  4. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I don't really get the Wisconsin hype. They're undefeated, but what's their best win? A close win against a UF team without Wilbekin or DFS? They've beaten a bunch of decent teams (UVA, Marquette, St. Johns), but haven't really done anything to show that they're good enough to be in the discussion for the top five.
  5. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Agreed. Still unbeaten so they do deserve some credit but they did face a crippled UF team..like very crippled. It's okay though, we got Memphis next, win that and we prove we are legit. I think most people know we beat both Wisconsin and UConn if fully healthy.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +650
    Eh, but who are the 5 teams with clearly better resumes? Ohio State's best win is against a 4 loss Marquette team. Syracuse's best win was against Baylor. Louisville lost to the one ranked team they played. We're running out of contenders here. I'll give you Michigan State and Arizona, but even MSU isn't light years better resume wise.
  7. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    nobody had Auburn in the national championship game after they lost to LSU
  8. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Yea..it is kind of hard to know who's real, and who isn't. I mean there is potiential, and there are teams who've done more in the beginning..it's hard to actually know right now..I think Arizona is legit. Kansas and UK are finding their footing but they clearly have the most talent, as long as they get it together of course. Michigan State and Florida have the experience and depth and two good tourney coaches. Louisville still plays sick defense, UNC may have found the right touch, Duke is like Kansas and UK almost in finding themselves. I think Wisconsin, UConn, and Syracuse will drop some to be honest. I think Arizona and Ohio state are very strong. Louisville still iffy about because of the zero good wins, but I think petino will be fine and his team dangerous. Basically...who knows.
  9. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I don't think anyone is really ranking teams based on resumes at this point. Way too early for that. They're deserving of being ranked in the top ten simply because they're undefeated against a decent schedule, but I just don't get why they're being hyped up as a legitimate contender. I think Villanova is more deserving of the hype than Wisconsin, to be honest.
  10. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    i do think the ranking are based off teams resume's at this point. because when you look at the top teams they are the ones that are still undefeated. i do get you're point and i think through the season things will shift as teams mature and get into conference play
  11. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +584
    I'm surprised by the Wisc hype too, because I think we would have croomed them if we had DFS and/or Scottie. We almost won with Kurtz playing extended minutes.
  12. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Rankings are about resume right now and somewhat perception. Kentucky is there only because of expectations, not actual performance with no big wins and 2 losses to the best teams they've faced. But UConn, Wisconsin, and Villinova are all ranked based on what they've done. Kind of a mixed bag of nuts O_O.
  13. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,400
    I think the makeup of this team (senior laden) and showing poise by playing good D and an O that plays within their skill sets has to be taken seriously. Now can they progress to March and get a good rotation? We shall see.
  14. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +389
    The only time this becomes a legitimate discussion is after the season and the conference tournaments are finished and everyone knows how crippled teams will be going into the NCAA tournament.

Until then, basketball is simply such a streaky, momentum dependent phenomenon that any such comparisons have some legitimacy, but there simply are too very many unknowns. For example sometimes teams will 50% of their 3s one game and 15% another, or 75% of their free throws one game, and 38% another, with the home cooking phenomenon leading to losses like the Gator's against Connecticut, etc., etc. Even in the NCAA tournament, precisely the same sort of phenomena occur.

The only time one can make legitimate statements is when you have absolutely dominant teams like John Wooden had a few times at UCLA.

So, regarding are the Gator's top five. Well, my opinion is that, barring injuries to the thin front line, this lies somewhere between very likely and perhaps, with the edge toward very likely.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. maleko83

maleko83 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    I feel like we've heard this Wisconsin story before. Really good in the regular season with that style of play, but the postseason comes along and somebody always finds a way to pick up the pace and beat them (much like how I would've suspected UF to do it with a full roster). Bo Ryan has not led Wisc. to a Final Four, and only one Elite Eight. Until I see this style of b-ball make it to the Final Four, it would be hard for me to ever put this team in a top 5.
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +654
    Every team has flaws. Arizona is only going 6 or 7 deep right now, struggles shooting the 3, and we're only shooting .667 from the FT line thanks to Aaron Gordon, who shoots a horrible percentage. With that said, we're winning games because we are excellent defensively, out-rebound teams by a large margin, and our defense/rebounds lead to a lot of easy buckets. We're definitely a top 5 team right now, warts and all.

I don't think, however, that means Arizona is a top 5 team for 2013/14. We could maintain it, but there are about ten to a dozen teams that belong in the conversation. Arizona, Syracuse, Ohio State, Louisville, Florida, Kentucky, and Michigan State to name a few. Then there's the usual suspects like Duke and UNC that can make a run, and some experienced teams that can do damage come March, like Wisconsin and Michigan. Not to mention "mid-majors" like Butler and Memphis.

The best thing about college basketball is it will all sort itself out on the court in March. I think with all the pieces together, Florida deserves to be in the top-5 conversation, but it's too crowded to make a call. But we'll find out soon enough.
  17. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    We should be better than Arizona. When they beat us last year, we and they knew that Florida gave that game away and that Florida was the better team. But that is our problem: we give games away. We almost gave away the game to Kansas.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,001
    We are entirely different teams than a year ago. And all teams give games away. It happens, especially when you are only going 6-7 deep, as we have so far this year,
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Arizona and Florida could be better than last year. Arizona is a very strong team though we have to prove we are better, not just assume we improved and they didn't. They have a pretty good freshman in Gordon as well I'd love to see him vs Walker.
  20. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +100
    Personally I like Cuse so far this season. They have the usual suspects in Fair and Grant, but Ennis and Cooney have been great in the backcourt so far this seasons. If Coleman and Christmas can actually give them something each game, I like Cuse as a top five team.

I'm also waiting for Ohio State to actually play a team with a pulse.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013