Cayman Islands...

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by ArtVandelay, Sep 30, 2013.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    going there for "work" next week. Any suggestions on places to eat? party? Staying right on 7 mile beach. Work is Wednesday to Friday afternoon and then I am on my own...
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,755
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Snorkel and drink a bunch of 17 dollar beers. That's what I did.
  4. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +975
    You actually don't need to spend money on alcohol in Grand Cayman. Eat all the free samples of run cake that you want. They taste great! You can also snorkel at Sting Ray City (if you've never done it before, it's pretty cool) and visit the turtle farm.
  5. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    And I thought Atlantis was a rip off.
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,030
    GC is nice but expensive. $1 US = $0.8 Cayman. You have to get away from 7 mile to find reasonably priced food. Other than being safe, the shore diving there is the best attraction for us. Good snorkeling right downtown where the cruise ships come in (Eden Rock) if you don't dive

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Pop over to Cuba. That's a good time!
  8. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    Beautiful island -- go snorkeling in the nice water - but expect to pay double the US rate for almost anything from what we saw when we were there in 2011.
    Lots of conch to be found.

And yea Atlantis could really be a rip off-
  9. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,755
    So far looks like everyone agrees with me. :grin: ;)
  10. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Atlantis sucks completely. Tourist hellhole.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    The Cayman's are much better from underwater than from above, some of the best scuba diving in the world, if you get the opportunity, take it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,030
    fwiw, if you get British Airways avios points you can redeem them on American Airlines and get flights roundtrip from Miami for 9k avios points per person if AA has supersaver awards available. AA charges 35k miles each for the same flight.

Our family of 5 flies down for spring break for combined 45k avios points and $50. only bad part is having to fly out of Miami. can trade amex points for BA avios points and even get times where you get 1.5 avios for every amex point.

Stay on the east end away from town and you can get a 2 br condo for 1k for a week.
  13. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    Thanks for the info. I would have thought I would see a more positive response. I am pretty excited to go since I have never been there. I'm on vacation, so I don't mind paying a little extra if its good.

Do I need to make a reservation to snorkel?

Is there a sports bar that you have been to that would be best to watch the Gator game vs LSU on Saturday?

Anyone been to Jet nightclub or any other place?

I will probably go to a bunch of different places that I found online, but I was curious if anyone has any specific experience.

Thanks!
  14. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,755
    Pretty sure you shouldn't need a reservation there are tons of places to choose from. Unless someone here knows a spot I'd just ask a local. I'm pretty sure you'll find the largest amount of action near the port where the boats ferry the people from the cruise ship to the Island. From there you can do anything or get anywhere else you want to go otherwise. In all honesty, if you like nature and snorkeling, you will really enjoy the place. Im not that big of a nature guy really so it wasn't my thing. For what a lot of people have mentioned it is a really nice place to visit and has great snorkeling.

You'll find bars there as well and you can ask them if they will be playing the game or know who will. I'd think you would find the most American sports friendly bars near where all the tourists are.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,030
    you can snorkel from shore, no reservations needed but you need to get away from 7 mile beach as there is little to no structure there. Eden Rock is closest to town and is great snorkel or dive spot. if you are going out on a snorkel excursion (must go to stingray city) go on a day when cruise ships are not in town.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

they also offer a half day course and then they will take you on a dive right there from their shop, no boat fee so cheaper. if you have never been scuba diving and do not have any physical reasons you cannot I would highly recommend it. you will not find clearer, smoother water or easier entry anywhere

visit the link I posted above for best snorkel spots.

we like smaller groups so we use ambassador divers for our stingray city trip

http://www.ambassadordivers.com/

http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php

visit Rum Point for a day for something different

lots of bars along 7 mile with big screen so best one is the one closest to where you are staying.

if you want to do a swim with dolphins thing, go on days cruise ships not in town and you can get a substantial discount. we stay away from most popular things on days when cruise ships are there. check with ambassador dive shop for discounts on the swim with dolphins experience.

looking forward to our trip over spring break
  16. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    I would like to go to StingRay City. I don't have a lot of time. I have from Friday around 5pm until my flight on Sunday (5pm)

If I want to watch the Gator game on Saturday (2:30pm local time) I would have to go in the morning on Saturday.

Ambassador is right at my hotel. How long is the snorkel trip to StingRay City?
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,030
    half day. do it on Saturday am, typically no cruise ships on weekends. would recommend calling or emailing them and getting a reservation for that trip. visit stingray city and then snorkel coral gardens. if wind blows and trip cancelled do it sunday am. allow 2 hours for airport if returning a car. if not, you can get through in 1 hour easy enough. there is nothing to do in airport and no food/drink worth anything there so don't plan on eating at airport.

you can go snorkel at Eden Rock in the evening after work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    Very cool Island so far. Last night we watched the baseball game and ate at Lone Star. They had an aTm sign in there. Then we walked over to Royal Palms. They have a pretty cool outside bar that gets crowded with a DJ.

Tonight I think I am going to RocknRoll Bingo and then check out one of the clubs.

I set up a tour for Saturday morning to snorkel at StingRayCity. Should be back just in time for the Gator game.

No one told me that everything shuts down at midnight on Saturday because of the French biblethumpers. Looks like I'll have to do my damage tonight and tomorrow night.
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,030
    Glad to hear you had a good time. Enjoy stingray city? You are looking at midnight closing time all wrong. That just helped (past tense since I am married now) create a reason to take the party back to your place since most people were not ready to quit for the night; just had to have it properly stocked.
  20. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    Stingray City and the reefs were awesome! What a great experience. I went with Captain Marvin because he was offering a morning tour.

Went to Oktoberfest and O Bar on Friday night. Partied pretty hard. Great trip overall. I would definitely go back.

Here is me getting a back massage from the Stingray...

[​IMG]