Cash Model for Health Care

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Oct 4, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    This was the norm until sometime in the 70s. People had major medical only to cover hospitalization, surgery and "major medical" expenses. Wonder if any of our docs on TH have friends or colleagues that are taking the plunge.

Also, some comments on the wonderful Canadian system that some of our libbies are so enamored with.

http://www.pressherald.com/opinion/M_D__Harmon_.html
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,527
    my Dr has been cash only for 15 years
  3. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    There is a group at Mayo Jax that has gone that way. Concierge practice. Doc who started it is very popular. You pay $5 K for the year and you have 24/7 access. Good for those with a lot of issues. I'm all for the cash method. Buy the high deductible plan, health savings account, etc.
  4. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    It used to be insurance for high risk, not health care for everything uder the sun form teeth fillings, birthcontrol and eyeglasses...

We insure our homes for major problems not changing a light bulb. We insure our cars for accidents and injury, not changing the oil...

The concept health insurance has been repackaged to the benefit of the insurance companies and drug companies. The consumer has bought in and pays both through the nose :plain:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381
    Almost everything in the article was correct. The only problem is the implementation of that system. In most communities, a doctor doing only cash-pay would probably lose 50% of his patients, if not more. I'd wager this doctor and others like him may also partake in some other services on the side, things that aren't necessarily medically necessary, like Botox or weight loss pills or something, to help augment his income. So while I like and appreciate the sentiments of the article, a physician who truly wants to help the sick needs to understand people in the military system and people with government coverage (Medicare) will not be able to see them in a cash-pay system. Even most people in the private sector right now don't have the extra money to spare. So it's truly a dilemma, and those choices right now are probably being made when a physician just gets that final insult from their insurance providers. I'm not quite at that point yet, but I consider it all the time.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,410
    In the old days, you could get a goat testicle transplant from a diploma-mill doctor too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Brinkley

7. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    My first hospital ins plan through Met Life had a room rate of $35.00 per day semi private Gee how things have changed This was in the 60"s and I think the premium was in the 30 dollar range per month

This was for a family plan also
  8. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381
    In the future, when you have nothing relevant to add to a discussion, push the keyboard away.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    This is great, the next thing the Pubs have to do is pass a law that allows for individuals to have a tax-free savings account for that type of doctors care. This could be a big step in eliminating the health insurance scams... like Obama-scam.
  10. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +122
    oh that that would come about, but for the majority it is impossible, there would be blood in the streets if you tried is my guess, sadly.