Casey Prather

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Nov 25, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,684
    He has been sick. I wonder, though, if their offense is suffering because of a lack of spacing. I haven't watched them much, but looking at the boxes and highlights it seems like they are playing him and WCS together a lot, but with Randle on the blocks and WCS setting picks out high or trying to space from the short corner. Their guards, though, are struggling to get in the lane and create or score because of the lack of space. That isn't Calipari's offense at all. They are still getting open threes (especially Young), so that helps, no doubt.
  2. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036
    Prather is definitely playing his way into a professional league next year

Most likely abroad still

He is a bit of a tweener for a SF in the league and he doesn't at least show to have a good jump shot yet...for such a high riser, he has little lift on his jump shot
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    But but but, you guys could have had Stacey Poole jr instead...
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    You wonder correctly. We're not spaced and it doesn't look like Cal's preferred style of offense. My guess is we end up a post-up team like the 2010 team - which means we still haven't seen the true "DDMO" since Cal arrived. Its a nice recruiting gimmick though.

I think Randle should be playing the 5 with Poythress at the 4 (for some of the game at least), but Cal isn't going to do that. He's usually within a few feet of WCS when he gets the ball - meaning a double team is only a second away.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Good grief. I'm still getting used to the new format. This was supposed to be in reply to Rserina - or anyone other than myself for that matter.

With Billy's joke yesterday to a fan about being more worried about Randle than Wiggins, how do you think he goes about guarding him? Brockway mentioned something about there not being a great option, but I can't see why that is the case. Seems to me Florida has several good defensive bigs and a couple long SF's who can help.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    I'd imagine Donovan will first try to deny the ball and then double Randle if he gets it.Young is obviously an excellent post defender. Even he won't be able to shut down a guy like Randle on his own (not to mention his foul troubles lately), but he can certainly try to corral Randle toward a double team. Without Young in the game, maybe he would favor the zone to maximize the deny strategy.
  7. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    Love Casey...great kid, glad the light finally came on, but he is not an NBA player, not even close...he has ZERO jump shot outside of 8-10 feet....his form is awful, and it is a line drive...does not mean he cannot continue to have a great season, lead us to a FF, and play pro ball somewhere and make a good living, but barring a massive improvement in his shooting mechanics and results, it will not be in the NBA
  8. hernandezattorney

hernandezattorney New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I love when players stay the course for 4 years and get a degree. Living in KY, everyone loves the 1 and dones. It's nice seeing a player develope over his years at an university. I'll take 3-4 year players all day everyday. I do suspect Casey will get his try at the NBA if he keeps up this pace throughout the rest of the year. Heck, the NBA is all about potential and athletism. Casey has both!
  9. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Disagree. He has freakish athleticism and the nba loves that. They will and can work on his shot. I don't think it's bad at all and see massive improvement over past seasons. No reason to believe it won't continue to improve under Billy D and staff's tutelage. Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    He's handling the ball on the perimeter a lot better this season than he has in the past. That's the big difference, imo.

But I agree with Bullis. He's a non-shooter. You can't play SF in the NBA as a non-shooter, and they're not exactly looking for 6'6" combo forwards in the NBA.
  11. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    Is he as good a shooter as Corey Brewer? Corey really had to work on his shot his first couple of years in the NBA and now is at least consistent, Prather has not shot the three here like Corey did but he is not far off otherwise
  12. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Uh... No, Prather is nowhere near the shooter Brewer is or was.

It's possible that Prather can become a competent shooter, I guess. That's all he needs to do to make the league. He's definitely quick and athletic enough. I just would say it's unlikely.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,684
    Prather has hit that mid range jumper out to 15-16 feet with consistency the last two seasons. He can hit that shot. But, no, he isn't ready to be a legitimate three point shooter in the NBA. Given the premium placed on floor spacing to open lanes for the pick and roll, he would have a hard time playing either the two or three right now. But so much of it is based on team needs. If a team needs a bouncy, athletic wing who can defend bigger players, get to the rim, and finish in transition, he could easily go in the second round and make a roster. They can work on his perimeter shot, especially from the corners.
  14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,451
    That one-handed thunder dunk of his against JU gave me an instant Gator flashback to Vernon Delancey! :-O

(Where are the emoticons?)
  15. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    When you look back at where he was a couple of seasons ago, his improvement has been nothing less than remarkable. A testament to coaching and Casey's coachability.

A lot of highly rated guys get to college and plateau or make minimal improvements in their game before heading to the league. It is a lot of fun to see the opposite happen. As far as I'm concerned, the sky is the limit for him. He embraces the challenge of getting better at every opportunity. If I was a NBA scout, I'd take a serious look at him.
  16. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    There's a lot of talent in the NBA, but not at the 2 guard. There's a complete derth at SG right now in the NBA actually and that's where I'd put Prather. At the very least, he can defend and post up smaller SG's (of which there are a lot right now) and the shot will come. Beal did not shoot well his first year, but he has come around. Remember that you have basically all day every day to work on your shot once you hit the NBA.

Westbrook is a very large point guard, and that is the position he has played since he got in the league, but he couldn't pass or shoot when he first arrived, but he was so overwhelming athletically that he was able to effective. There's no way Prather doesn't make a roster next year.
  17. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240

Agreed, see also Rondo, Rajon

couldn't shoot a like in college
  18. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380

I get your point, but I do remember him dunking over a few 7 footers over the years. Plus, we have seen tremendous development over the past two years in his ability to finish several different ways with either hand. He has learned to use the basket as protection on reverse finishes.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,684
    The problem is that, when you lack spacing in the paint as we often do with Young and Yeguete on the floor, there is just no room for Prather to finish. We've seen that already at times this year, where he gets good penetration into the paint, but there are too many bodies for him to get up a good shot. The better the competition, the more likely he will be to find good shotblockers in the paint. One on one, in transition, or on weakside breakdowns, Prather can elevate quickly enough to finish past them or even over them. A crowded paint is a different story, though.
  20. jjenkins5

jjenkins5 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    I can't help but love 4 year guys like Casey who work hard and it finally pays off. Whether Casey has a shot a professional career come June remains to be seen, but I am confident he will be a solid contributor and leader for our team. What an example he is for guys like Devon Walker. Work hard, play smart and good things will happen!
    • Like Like x 1