Casey Prather

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Aug 17, 2013.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,611
    Any news on what kind of an off-season he is having? This is a player who I just keep thinking could break out at any time. Could he average close to double figures in scoring this year and push his rebound average over 5?
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,137
    I am not certain he will get enough playing time for that. The problem Prather has is that he can't really run our stuff offensively from the three and there isn't going to be much playing time available at the four between Yeguete, Walker, and whatever minutes Finney-Smith could potentially play there instead of the three. He doesn't shoot particularly well and, while he has a decent handle, he can't execute our high ball screen action. Unfortunately, those are the two biggest offensively responsibilities for us on the wings. He has by far been his best at the four because there are very few collegiate bigs who can stay in front of him off the bounce or run with him in the open court, while his strength and athleticism mitigate his size deficiency somewhat at the other end of the court. Again, though, we have plenty of bodies at the four.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Prather just like Finney-Smith have to prove they can hit the 3 ball when needed. Sometimes players get better at shooting over their career at Florida, possibly working with the coaches to get better. Corey Brewer comes to mind at getting better as his career wound down. As for Walker, if he gets in, I feel he is a natural at the three. He can run, dunk, rebound and shoot from the three. Does he need of seasoning, sure, but if he gets in he would be a nightmare for other threes to contend with. With Walker at the PF position as a freshman, I feel he would be pushed around a lot in the SEC, thus me having him playing mostly at the SF position.

Prather is a great teammate who I am pulling for and I hope he finishes on a high note. I love his athleticism. With a 3 ball shot, pull up jumper inside the 3 line, he is going to have to be consistent to get the most time at the SF position. Him having played the PF position I feel might have set back his consistency of a better shooting percentage. I am hoping for the best Casey!

With more people vying for playing time and if Walker gets in, Casey will have to be golden when he gets his minutes, especially his shooting, or he will be relegated to being a good defensive player at whatever position Billy might want him to defend.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    Whatever offense Casey can give us this year will be a plus. But Billy will definitely get him on the court for his defensive versatility.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,137
    I don't see a world in which Walker plays the three in our system. He handles the ball well for a big guy, but I've never seen him run a pick and roll or hit a spot up or catch and shoot three on film. Plus, why would you want a shotblocker like him defending on the perimeter?
  6. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    IMO, watching Casey P the past 3 yrs - he just kinds glides up & down the court - never seems in a hurry or things are that urgent. If he turns up his intensity & maintains it, he could be another David Thompson like player as he's incredibly gifted, athletic & strong as heck. Just needs to work on his shot. IMO, he & DFS are the two most athletic players on the team this season.
    Everyone having a super off season from what I hear. Getting everyone healthy (3), one re-programmed & one finishing his homework has a been the priority!
    Once everyone is on board & focused, this team could rival the 06-07's in regards to pure size & talent. This team could be scary good. Not worried too much about all the hype & 5* bs coming from the ''house of pussy cats''!! TN has my attention this season - not the kittens!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,411
    Count me as the President of the Casey Prather Fan Club.
    I think he's our X-factor in our upcoming season much like Corey Brewer was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgdX9c9Lh-U
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,137
    Wilbekin?
  9. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Why would Walker play the three, !. He from the film I have seen, is a pretty good shooter, 2. It would allow a bigger front line, think a more athletic Chandler Parsons, 3. He is pretty skinny at this point, and he would be thrown around and possibly hurt pounding the middle in the SEC. He is not built like DFS or Young, let him be a big mis-match. Billy likes the PF to basically play center also, he is not ready for that. Chris seems better to me in the open court where he can take others inside or out. Why limit Chris unless his shooting is not consistent?

DFS at PF, Young C, Walker SF, this line-up would strike fear in opposing teams. At the 3 position, again, whoever has the best shooting percentage from the 3 pt line should play there. I personally feel Walker is the man. If not, maybe a bulked up Devon could be the man. I just don't want guards filling the 3 spot. That has been our whole offense lately, we need to be able to score inside to have a more balanced team. When Kentucky or other top teams push us outside the 3 line, we can't score in crunch time. This due to no inside scoring game. Let's make sure we have an inside scoring game before we give in to the 3 guard line-up.

We have a lot of talent returning, transferring and if Walker gets in, two freshmen that can contribute. Billy will have his hands full getting the right players in the right position. He could switch both DFS and Walker from the 3 to 4 position and see what is right or vice a versa. I am excited to see what happens if Walker gets in.
  10. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    yes
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,137
    To point #1, he can shoot as well from the four as he can from the three if his shot is ready and that creates far more mismatches forcing bigs away from the basket to defend him at 20 feet than a smaller, quicker defender at the three who can play him close to eliminate the dribble drive game and turn him into a flat footed shooter. To point #2, he just doesn't have the shot or passing abilities that Parsons did--and that was after Parsons himself started at the four his first year, then struggled moving back out to the three his second year. To point #3, guys like Walker don't need to be physical strong or developed to play in the paint at this level. Harvey is probably the best comparison, but if you are long and bouncy you will be fine. Most SEC fours aren't going to back you down into the post, and for every time one does, you can get past him off the bounce or slip a screen or finish a rim run two or three times. Finney-Smith has a much better handle and passing skills, plus he shot well enough at VT to think he can be an effective three point threat in our system. Plus, between Young and Harris, we won't need Walker to play any five.

Technically, we always have a three-guard lineup, or at least a two-wing lineup, because of our system. If you can't execute the ball screens or space the floor as a catch and shoot/spot up threat, then you can't play the three. Finney-Smith can do at least one, if not both of those. Prather really can't and there is a big question mark as to whether Walker can from the film I've seen and the reports I've read. Frazier can do the latter better than anyone else on the team. If Wilbekin makes it back and/or Carter gets eligible, then I expect to see Frazier get some choice minutes at the three. He is very strong for his size, he is a great position rebounder, and he shoots lights out.

If Walker gets eligible, I would much rather see him stick at one position and develop there. That position to me is the four. It is the position every recruiting service projects him playing, it is the position where his skill set fits best in our system (spaces the floor with his jumper, too quick off the dribble, off screens, or in transition for most bigs, great length and athleticism to defend the rim), and it is mostly likely the position he will play at the next level if he can add a little strength/weight, which he will need to handle NBA post play and glass work.
  12. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    I am pretty amazed that anyone actually expects Walker to contribute much. I guess it is possible he will finish the core courses by December, but he is working from such a disadvantage due to the NCAA insanities that he may not even qualify then, no matter how hard he works, and he will be, much like Carter, breaking into a new and very complex system at PF, after not being able to practice with the team in the fall. I don't care how good a natural player he is, I just don't see him getting much playing time given the situation.

Actually, given the unfortunate shortage of guards this year, particularly with Wilbekin likely to miss perhaps six games, we may see quite a bit of either Prather or Finney-Smith playing SG. This may not be a particularly good thing, unless one of them proves to have a better handle that I think either of them posses.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,137
    I agree that he will be behind the game a bit, but don't you think the staff would take that into account if encouraging him to enroll and start playing in December? Why not send him to prep school if you didn't think the kid could contribute?

Why would we need either one of them to play the two unless they merited the minutes? The bigger problem is at the one unless Carter gets eligible and can give us a few minutes there. But Frazier and Graham can easily cover the two until Wilbekin returns, especially if Carter is available.
  14. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    Walker will definitely contribute this year. Just wait
  15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,411
    I really hope you're right, my friend.
    But do you believe sooner rather than later?