Carter hasn't applied for appeal yet...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
  2. jjenkins5

jjenkins5 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +353
    That's surprising. The young man declares on April 30th his intent to transfer to UF, but as of July 22nd he hasn't initiated the process required to make it happen with his former school? Doesn't make sense to me....
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    I don't know, if he applies pretty quickly here, I'd have to think there's enough time for him to be cleared before games start. Ryan Harrow (recent UK transfer), transferred roughly April first and the NCAA approved his waiver about half way through July. I know that's 3.5 months and Carter's would have to be processed quicker. But we don't know exactly when Harrow's was filed AND I would hope the NCAA would act quicker as the season approaches.

I've definitely seen cases of the NCAA taking their time with amateurism related eligibility clearing, but I'd hope they could handle this stuff quicker.
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +811
    So from the sounds of it if Rutgers is ok with it, then the ncaa should allow it right? I know it's the NCAA and logic doesn't apply
  5. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    The article is about 2 weeks old so things may have changed since then. Also, Donovan indicates that he hasn't been involved. Along with that, he has been out of the country for a while so Carter may have been going through the process without Donovan knowing all the details. At this point I wouldn't assume that Carter has just been sitting around doing nothing.

Here is some additional detail of the process that Carter has to go through for his appeal.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2013/07/11/some-details-on-eli-carters-waiver-request.htm
  6. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +989
    My main question is why hasn't he already applied for it???? Weird...
  7. mapagator

mapagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    And if he drags his feet or the NCAA is slow to respond or denies, where does that leave Billy D's team with Willbe still in limbo?
    A once promising season is starting to tarnish a little.
  8. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Not sure it's the worst thing for us if he sits out a year and has 2 years left thereafter.

Edit: I forgot about Scotty's annual situation.
  9. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,220
    That article is dated July, 10:

10. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    it aint over til it's over.

I am sure if anyone can get it done it is Billy D, especially after a successful run in Prague, which just adds to his reputation
  11. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    It is very odd that he has taken/is taking so long to seek a waiver? I wonder if he has some business at Rutgers that must be taken care of first?

I guess if he has outstanding fees or parking tickets or something, Rutgers would not even release his transcripts and he had to get his transcripts to transfer to UF. Anyone know if he is actually in summer classes?
  12. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    I thought he had already enrolled at UF (just read one of his tweets in early July stating he was at UF.) Some of these posts seem to read as if lack of a waiver means he will not play at UF, which isn't the case.
  13. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    How do you know this? Donovan has talked about him so clearly he put in the paper work to transfer to UF. But then again another Rutgers kid put in the paper work to transfer to Auburn and then changed his mind. So we are back to the puzzle of why he had not as of 10 days ago put in his paperwork for a waiver.
  14. killercroc_UF

killercroc_UF New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Agreed. Starting to bug me especially with Morrison acting all crazy on the football side.

Sent from my HTC One X using Gator Country
  15. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +853
    Step away from the ledge
  16. killercroc_UF

killercroc_UF New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Your right lol just want a clean damn offseason for once!

Sent from my HTC One X using Gator Country
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    Is it THAT important that you guys have him available for this season? I see reasons for both options, but I think I'd opt to have him sit this year. If Walker were ineligible for all of this year I might be more prone to take him now. Its not an obvious choice to me though.
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    Carter is a teriffic player. If all of our players are eligible, we could be the best team in the country. Why wouldn't we want Carter to be eligible?
  19. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +853
    There's not a whole lot of proven depth at the guard positions without him. It's Hill and Wilbekin at the 1, Frazier at the 2. Devon Walker and Dillon Graham...we'll see if they can make a sophomore leap. Both were pretty nonexistent last year and didn't show a whole lot in the garbage time they got. If Carter is available and Chris Walker can qualify, we've got a top-notch 2 deep at every position (Hill/Wilby, Frazier/Carter, DFS/Prather, Yeguete/Walker, Harris/Young) without even considering the hope for a sophomore leap from the other guys.
  20. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    Granted I am not as familiar with the team as you guys are ^^^^^, but this is my perspective. If everyone is available, I don't see any reason why 3 guards would be needed on the floor at the same time this year. IMO, Hill and Wilbekin are VERY deserving of minutes and will be very effective players. Frazier is a solid back up (who may even start) to either one of them - while obviously playing the 2. Where is the need for another guard? Injury? Well I'd agree with you then. But I'd have to think the other options at guard are good enough for spot duty by now.

Certainly more good players is always better than less good players. No argument there. But I see this, at least in theory, as a cost/benefit thing by taking into consideration how nice it'd be to have Carter available in 2015-2016. We don't know what the roster will look like then, but I'd bet that a RS senior Carter could have a bigger impact that year - after three years in the program - than he could next year in a back court that already has 3 talented guards fighting for PT at two positions. I've seen Carter play and I know he's good. Not trying to diminish that.

I could probably feel good about either option and, ultimately, think he should be available this year if that is what he wants and the NCAA allows it. I'm just not sure its a no-brainer.