Carter cleared to play immediately

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Sep 30, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    That's fair, though I suspect with Kasey Hill's ability to get in the lane and create, what we most need from that two spot (and three and even four) is floor spacing.
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    I have only seen Eli play once, and that was the game in which he destroyed us. In the top video above, Eli shows everything; quite a bit of catch and shoot, plus a lot of getting into the paint and distributing or scoring. He didn't need to come off screens, but he showed great court vision. he looked like a big version of Iverson, but he was playing against high school kids. Assuming he is healthy, I expect Eli to fit in a lot better than did Rosario.
  3. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    From what I see he has definite catch and shoot ability..it's a matter of health at this point. He is needed this season if we have aspirations of cutting down the nets
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Those clips don't really convince me on his shooting ability. He has a hitch in his shot and there aren't a ton of clips of them, especially coming off the dribble or off a screen. That's not to say he can't be good, but it is another reason why I hoped he could take the year off and work with the staff. Whatever the case, I can't wait to see what he can do.
  5. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    He's not a great shooter. He has a noticeable hitch, and the shooting percentages bear that out.

He's more like Boynton than Rosario, imo. Strong but undersized SG who isn't afraid to get after it defensively, is a streaky shooter, and can finish around the hoop.

His game against us was the best of his career, so I wouldn't expect that too much. He'll be a valuable piece for us, but I think Frazier has the upper hand on him early on due to experience in Donovan's system and health.
  6. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Wilbekin certainly showed plenty of ability to penetrate and score or pass last season too. So the benefit of Carter, if he plays this year, is someone at the two guard with that skill set.

Also after I posted my original view, I wonder too about Carter on defense. Certainly that is where the jury is out on Michael Frazier. If he can focus and play solid defense along with his perimeter scoring and surprising rebounding, he will be a very solid starting two guard for UF. If not, that might be a place that Carter or Graham could get an edge on him.
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    I know Carter's injury was a broken leg in February. But just what was the nature of this break? He still wasn't cleared for a lot of things as of September, 7 months after the break. Broken bones generally heal within about 2 months.
  8. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +142
    What type of injury did he have? ACL, meniscus tear or broken leg? Hope he is over it either way and he can bring a college ready guard to the tough season ahead. Welcome Eli to the Gators.
  9. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Broken leg.
  10. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +729
    If it was an ACL, he wouldn't be cleared to play this season
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    It wasa broken leg.
  12. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +729
    I know what it was. I was kind of pointing out that since he was medically cleared in September, it obviously wasn't an ACL
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    Got it.