Carter against MTSU

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by oneatatime, Nov 22, 2013.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    The only downside to last night's team victory was how Carter labored on the court, committing two fouls in just a few minutes.

I don't know if it was part of the plan for Billy Donovan play so many minutes in the second half, but it is clear to me, that Carter should be shutdown and redshirted.
  2. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,781
    My guess is that they are on the same page and it is to play through the injury to see if he is prepared to continue this season up to the time that he needs to shut it down to be eligible for a medical RS. And right now he is one step ahead of BD off the bench and comes in during non-critical stretches. It seems to be a viable strategy, if for no other reason than to provide a blow for others as long as SW is out. JMHO
  3. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    His injury has made him a liability on the defensive side of the court. And thats not to say he is a bad defender, but when you cant move your feet and get grabby you are going to hurt your team.

Dude is going to shirt and come back next year and be a force.
  4. oneatatime

Ratings Received:
    +255
    If the coaches were going to have him play through the injury, I would have expected Carter to log some time in the second half, when the game was pretty much out of reach.

It wouldn't surprise me if he won't don't see him again this season and an announcement about his redshirt coincides with the return of Wilbekin
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,674
    The latter is what he meant, I believe: "up to the time that he needs to shut it down." Agree with both of you. Graham is already down for the season, but Carter is giving us whatever he can until Wilbekin gets eligible.
  6. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,781
    Yes, unless Scottie isn't back until his required time limit is met. I don't know the specifics for either one. I was saying that there are two viable paths: work it out up until the deadline and then decide to RS if things don't.
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Yeah, Carter appears to need another year.

Hopefully, Wilbekin will play against Jacksonville, so he can play in a game with the rest of the team before starting the 4 probably tough games.
  8. oneatatime

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Good point about Wilbekin. Also think that it would be better to bring him along slowly not only in an easier game, but on the road rather in front of what will likely be an adoring crowd.
  9. oneatatime

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Unless Carter has improved since MTSU, I have to think that son Billy will get Carter's minutes if Wilbekin isn't back against Jacksonville Monday.