Can't complain and game thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bakaduin, Nov 12, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,687
    That is exactly what Donovan suggested in his post-game radio interview. At this stage, he is being expected to do so much that it he can let it get to him when the shots aren't falling. The dude played 29 of 36 minutes before fouling out, brought up the ball and initiated the offense every possession, and led us in shot attempts and assists. Unbelievably demanding in our system and especially with such a thin rotation.
  2. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    Was Hill a bad shooter in HS? I don't remember much about his scouting report, but I don't think I ever heard much criticism about his shot.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,687
    He was never a good shooter, but he did improve a ton last season at Montverde and on the travel circuit. There is an article out there about the work he put into it.
  4. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I agree completely with your opening overview.

1. Finney-Smith and Harris will be back next game and Wilbekin I think will be back before FSU. So to that extent this game is now moot.

2. Hill is a frosh PG and Wisconsin is the worst possible matchup for such a player. I wondered if (hoped that) the new style of calling games would equalize this. i should have known it would get Hill in foul trouble.

3. So typically Yeguete's 8 points and 4 rebounds are steady and reliable, but Young's 8 points 6 rebounds are disappointing. Young did play a few more minutes and missed some shots, but I think both should have rebounded better. I hope Yeguete's wrist is ok.

4. Carter and D.Walker have had their chances and have not shown they can contribute. I still think that one of the two will back up the SG position.

5. Young is who he is. His rep coming in was he had a great motor. He doesn't. He gets up for name opponents. Wisconsin did not have a big star at his position and so Young played lost for a half. It did not help that UF hit some early shots and forgot to go to Young. Young may be a big banged up too.

6. This team will shoot threes when Frazier, Wilbekin and Finney-Smith are in the starting lineup. Carter off the bench will shoot some too.

Now let me add some of my own:

7. Kurtz deserves real credit for putting in a bunch of good minutes guarding Dekker. That really help UF, though it limited UF's offense.

8. I think Prather just banged knees. I sure hope that is all it was.

9. Dan Dakich was intolerable. Ragging on Wilbekin, Finney-Smith and Harris all game long for being suspended. That must have been what it was like playing for Knight, continually ragging and ragging etc. He also decided that Young could do no right and is apparently the worst player ever, heck I guess Dakich is a secret Gator fan.
  5. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    I thought I heard the opposite in regards to hill's shot
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,687
    What exactly? That it got worse?
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I saw Hill play 4 or 5 games last year never thought he was a great shooter. The offense isnt my concern it is the defense. There guys still seem clueless at times on their positioning off the ball and and some ball screens. We have to defense the 3 point line better.

You cant really assess the offense until we get the 3 suspended players back.
  8. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    That he was a good shooter. Guess I misheard
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,687
    Nah, he has never been a great shooter. Not as bad as he has shown this far.
  10. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    I think it's the opposite. Wilbekin is an elite defender, DFS is long, athletic, and versatile, and Harris/Walker are potential rim protectors. Having these guys back will improve our defense by 10 fold. The offense concerns me because I don't see where it's gonna come from consistently if Hill continues to struggle.

I think when we get our depth back we might need to play an up and down transition style of play to try to get easy baskets and take advantage of Hill's fastbreak speed and vision.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,687
    Everyone is entirely out of position right now. Donovan mentioned you have smalls in the back of the pick and roll difference, a lack of communication on the screen action, and big guys having to rotate out too much on perimeter shooters. It is a mess right now, but they were still decent for the most part tonight. Wiscy shot 44% from the floor and turned it over 14 times. We were solid defending the arc in the first ten and the last ten, but in between we really struggled.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,687
    Really? I think once we get the floor spacing figured out--again, it was the same thing last year when our rotation was shorter--then the offense will be much better. We have to hit our jumpers when teams sag in the paint because that will be a a season-long strategy.
  13. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    My problem is positioning on the perimeter and pick an rolls. There is no reason the guys who are going to have to playing big minutes are out of position. We might be getting some athletic players back but there is no excuse for something that with the guys already on the floor. It is a long season but it is just troubling to me. I dont watch a ton of college bball besides the Gators so I cant asses the transfers until I actually see them on the court.
  14. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    Young bothers the crap out of me. How has his offensive game not evolved? Great kid but damn....
  15. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    No, what did he say?
  16. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    You are right that we are beating a proverbial dead horse. I think the expectations aren't too high for PY, I think we have seen PY play at an elite level but it is only when he gets up for big games. The following is where the frustration comes:

As a Sophomore, PY went up against Jared Sullinger and scored went 14 and 10 shooting 50%.

He went up against Anthony Davis (who is dominating the NBA) and went 21 and 9 shooting 67%.

He went up against Nerlens Noel and Cauley Stein and went 12 and 11 with 67% shooting.

He is capable of having huge games against NBA quality studs and in those games you can see his ferocity. But put him against Joe Schmo from little school USA? You are lucky if he gets 5 pts and 5 rebounds. Why is that? How can you go toe to toe with the best bigs college basketball has to offer and then can't make a basket vs. the Ospreys?
  17. clt_gator

clt_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Has Billy given any indication of this? I'm a season ticketholder & have been dying to see these guys in action.
  18. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Exactly, he just does not care enough and to spin it positively you could say does not care enough about personal stats to run up stats against Joe Schmo as you say. He also does not demand the ball or go get the b all against such players.

It is what it is. It rarely costs UF in that UF does not lose the games he checks out of often. Young has probably made himself into a second round pick rather than a first round pick but given the data you quote, may be as good a second round pick as Parsons.
  19. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +35
    His offense has greatly improved at UF. He is a solid offensive big. He was completely raw when he came to UF. THe issue is not his offense, but his unwillingness to demand the ball.
  20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +693
    It wouldn't be a terrible loss like our traditional pre Christmas let down, but I would have been pretty disapointed if we lost to that team full strength. After seeing them 2 years in a row, wisconsin isnt in our league.