Can't complain and game thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bakaduin, Nov 12, 2013.

1. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    Close loss at Wisconsin wouldn't be anything terrible with a full squad much less a shorthanded one. I do think it was a lost opportunity in that we could have pulled out a win but I'll be sleeping fine tonight!

Some thoughts:

1. Prather and Frazier are clearly going to be our offense until Wilbekin/Harris/DFS get back. They are the only players that kept things close.

2. Hill shows flashes of brilliance driving to the basket but man he has been a terrible shooter thus far. 2-11 (0-4 from 3) is abysmal.

3. Will Yeguete was his usual reliable self. Picked up some rebounds, knocked down some baskets, and made the hustle plays.

4. Eli Carter and Devon Walker didn't contribute much tonight. For Eli that is surely a lack of minutes due to recovering form injury but this is a game we could have used them to chip in a few points.

5. Patric Young continues to be the most frustrating player in Gator Basketball history. Love the kid and pull for him every game but he just is missing the basketball instincts. Pulled in a big rebound toward the end of the game but missed important FTs and shot poorly overall. If he had Will's instincts and motor he would be a top 5 pick. I wouldn't be shocked if Harris outpaced him in minutes by seasons end.

6. This is a very different team from last year (and really the last few years). It was raining 3s and tenacious defense that won us a lot of games. We were really lacking tonight on D, especially at the 3 pt line and well our 3 pt shooting is Frazier and not much else right now (which hopefully changes when we get DFS/Wilbekin back).

Thoughts?
  2. UFSECKINGS

UFSECKINGS VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Agreed, we didn't quit. Those injury scares <<
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    Hill will be fine. We are a cluster offensively in the paint. Young and Yeguete aren't terribly comfortable outside of ten feet and we aren't shooting worth a darn, so there isn't much space for Hill to operate. Plus, he is playing way too many minutes right now. It is going to be uphill for him this month, but will pay off down the road.

I don't get the criticism of Young. No, he isn't the most instinctive guy in the world, but he was also playing too many minutes in stretches that were too long. Teams are collapsing in the paint and he has no room whatsoever to operate. I think there is absolutely zero chance Harris gets more minutes than him. Have you heard some of Donovan's comments about Harris to date?
  4. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Seeing your sig gif, was it true that Jo was at the game?
  5. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    They showed Noah there on tv
  6. newmexicogator

newmexicogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    This team will struggle offensively. Not enough 3 pt shooting. Maybe DFS will help as slasher to the basket. BUt this team will struggle to generate offense although it will be very good defensively. We will have to generate some fast break points.
  7. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    I agree that HIll will be fine. I think he will be one of our best offensive weapons by years end. The kid can get to the basket like a rocket. He is creative with the ball and his assists would be even higher if we hit some open 3s.

I'm honestly surprised you don't get the criticism of Young. He is a great defender that much is certain. He went a game and a half without a basket. He is a senior and needs to be a solid contributor on the offensive end for us to go far this season. He has not started out well on that end of the court. He also gets way too few rebounds for his size. This has been an ongoing struggle and isn't going to change but he was equaled in rebounds by Kurtz today and managed only 2 rebounds vs the Ospreys. He certainly brings a lot to the table defensively but that is the only place he really excels. As for Donovan's comments I wouldn't take too much stock in that. He has historically tried to motivate players by critiquing them to the media (see Chandler Parsons). Its his schtick.
  8. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    From what I saw, I agree with your points. Only exception would be that I'm not as down on Young yet. Tell you what though, if Harris ends up beating out a healthy Young by the end of the year, thats scary for the rest of the league.
  9. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    Guys must be really banged up for Kurtz to get as many minutes as he did. Anyone know when guys will start coming off suspensions?

With the homecourt advantage Wis has, that was as good as a win.
  10. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Hill looked like a freshman. You can't blame him; he shouldn't be in the position where he's the only point guard on the roster.

As for Young... Our spacing was all off because Frazier was the only guy we had who was a threat from deep. Young doesn't operate well in tight spaces. Never has. He's extremely frustrating to watch at times, but he's a great Gator and the best we've got. Anyone acting like Harris is going to take his starting spot is delusional.
  11. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
    DFS is arguably the best player on the team. At least that was the rumor last year. Give Carter time. He'll be a nice contributor come conference time. Right now he's not close to being in basketball shape. Hill is a player. What he lacks right now is someone he can dish to. That is where his buddy Walker comes in a couple of weeks from now.

Good to see Will contribute. I didn't realize that Sunday was his first full practice. He played well

Patrick will either improve or see his minutes decrease. Harris coming back will by definition cut into Patrick's minutes. Once Walker shows up, even more minutes will be lost. we will have a nice rotation down low.

Prather has earned his PT.

I hope Billy sees fit to reinstate the three delinquents. As a fan I look forward to watching this team progress, and progress it will.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    Maybe I should put it differently: I don't see why Florida fans obsess over his faults incessantly. We know what they are and yet still see fit to criticize him for the same things, even when Donovan came out and said maybe the problem is our expectations, not his play. The kid is a two-time scholar-athlete of the year in the SEC and turned himself into an all-league defender. He has done very well, but he will never be a stat stuffer.

How many touches has the guy gotten? There is zero space for post entry passes because we have no floor spacing right now. And how many guys on the floor are making clean post entry passes to him?

He needs to have more rebounds than he did last Friday, but he got six today despite spending the majority of his minutes tonight defending Kaminsky 20-feet from the basket. And he certainly isn't going to get many offensive rebounds when he and Yeguete are on the floor together because the lack of spacing again clogs the paint.

So every comment he makes to the media is an attempt to motivate him? Even when he talks about Harris being severely out of game shape?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    Disagree completely. We won't be the best Donovan team offensively, but we will be fine. Finney-Smith will give us floor spacing at the four, Wilbekin will give us a good catch and shoot option, and Carter hopefully will work himself into shape. Once we get a decent rotation going, we can start playing Prather more at the four and we can start playing Young and Yeguete together less because that tandem kills our spacing--especially with Prather at the three. Remember how terrible we were last year offensively before Wilbekin came back and we were playing Yeguete and Prather at the three?

This could be one of our best ballbandling and passing teams under Donovan and I suspect that will give us a ton of FT opportunities and open shots out of ball rotation.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    Also, I loved Frazier's play. One of the discussions we had last spring was how important he would be to this team because he is its best shooter and, especially after his summer work with U19 team, stands to have a huge sophomore jump. He has always been a good spot up shooter, but he is turning into a great shooter off the high ball screen, he hit that nice pull mid range shot tonight, he is doing a great job of getting to the rim, and he looks pretty confident at the one when we threw him in there. Kid could end up being an elite two guard for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    Young had a rough first half on both sides of the ball, but it looked to me like he played very well in the second half. He drew a TON of fouls, and while he's not exactly Mark Price out there he did enough to put a dent in the scoreboard.

Look, at the end of the game we had our former team manager trying to guard the starting PG of a perpetual top-25 team on the road. That tells you all you need to know about the state of the roster tonight. I'm feeling OK about things.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,083
    I'm a bit concerned about Hill getting frustrated with how things are going early on with him. He will adjust to the tempo of the game and things will start to slow down for him. When Scottie comes back it will also take some of the pressure off of him which is important at this stage.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    I never imagined that in the final four minutes of a two-score game on the road against a top-25 team, this would be our lineup:
    1 - Frazier
    2 - Prather
    3 - Kurtz
    4 - Yeguete
    5 - Young
  18. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +352
    I tend to think that when the three suspended players return, everyone will play fewer minutes and stretches, and can therefore play with more intensity. More pressing, more fast breaks. Really interested to see Harris and DFS.
  19. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    Just how Billy drew it up in the off-season.
  20. jareduf

jareduf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    I thought Kurtz wasn't half bad.

I hate to beat on the kid, but D. Walker just doesn't have it at this level. When the other guys come back, he won't play barring foul trouble or injury. Graham didn't play at all which really speaks volumes (unless he is redshirting and I am not aware).

The only criticism of Young is not having his head in the game in the first half. He got beat defensively 3 times for lack of awareness.

Carter looks like he might have been better off with a redshirt, but hopefully he can give us some quality bench pts down the stretch.

With a full squad, we would have pressed all game and beat Wisconsin by at least 10 pts, if not more. There is no way they could deal with DFS, Wilbekin, Prather, Hill, Frazier and WY pressing them all day.

My brother is a Wisconsin alum, so I pull for him, but Bo Ryan is a total douche. His antics are so annoying and makes them tough to pull for.

Can't wait to see our team at full strength. Go Gators!