Candy Gram 2/11/18 Sponsered by Skeeters Bi Biscuits

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Feb 11, 2018.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,890
    Greetings

Sorry for the late posting. I’ve been a bit under the weather. (where did that phrase come from?)

Let’s get to it.

Overall Grade: I am an instructor and I give grades based on percentile. UF came in at 13 or so depending on who you go by. That is a B. Let’s be honest, I was disappointed in the finish. That said, when we add in the transfers the improvement of the team as a whole should be significant.

QB: Emory Jones, Could be the starter from day one, we don’t know. On paper this was a very good addition for UF. Grade A

RB: Dameon Pierce, I love his film and he gives UF a different look. Scarlett returns and UF looks deep and talented at RB. Grade A

Athlete: Iverson Clement: very mature, natural leader. Where will he play? RB, WR, could even play some D and could be a ST demon. Every team needs someone like IC. Hearing he may start at WR. Grade A

TE: Kyle Pitts, Dante Lang. Pitts is a potential star at TE and Lang has all the tools. Many feel Lang is or could be a better fit on the other side of the ball. His size and speed make him useful on ST as well.

Grade A+

OL: Chris Bleich, Noah Banks, King Rich and Griffin McDowell. UF stole Bleich from UCLA and Chip Kelly. That is worth a letter grade almost. Banks has great size. King Rich is the highest ranked of the four and McDowell is a good late addition. This could turn out to be a great O-line class however it’s a far cry from what at one time looked to be an outstanding O-line class. Grade C, If we however add in the transfer Delance then this grade becomes a B.

WR: I’m grading this with the transfers of Grimes and Jefferson in addition to Copeland and Watkins. I love this group. In addition Watkins has the ability to move to CB if needed. At least one KR or PR will emerge from this group also. Grade A

DL: Malik Langham, Andrew Chatfield. Langham was a great addition and should be a good fit for TG’s system. The 4* guy has a great frame to be a monster. The question with AC is how will he be used? As I’m not sure where to peg him I put him on DL. Still only signing two for DL when you need at least 3-4 lowers the grade to a C-. If we add in the transfer Dunlap it brings the grade up to a B-.

LB: David Reese, I hope he and the other David Reese get to play together at some point just to hear how Mic will handle it. Reese has good film and could be a very good backer at some point for UF. However only signing one brings this grade down to a C- at best. We should all be glad of the two returning backers from the suspended list.

DB’s: I’m not counting Russell but I hope he stays involved with the team. Jonathan Huggins, Trey Dean, Amari Burney. Huggins is a prototypical safety who has the frame to be a Keanu Neal type guy. Or he could put on 2o #s and move to linebacker. Burney is and has been one of my favorites. Burney is a future star IMO. He also has the ability to play close to the LOS. Dean impressed at the AA game and can play CB or FS. A late defection kept this group from getting an A+. That said I will still give them a B+.

Kicker: McPherson, UF needed a good replacement for the great one. This could save a game or two a year. Grade A

Fsu: the noles finished well but may have 1-2 not qualify. I always said free Willie would do well in recruiting. As much as we wish to see them fail, they will always recruit well. That said, UF improved their situation and the Noles did not IMO.

Vols: Some late defections hurt UT. I do give their staff some credit for saving a potential disaster. Get ready, my wife’s cousin from jail in Murfreesboro Tenn. is already claiming the SEC EAST.

UGA: What can you say? The doggies have it going. It is actually to UF’s benefit if UT, SC, GT, Bama and Auburn do a better job in Georgia. UF just needs to take back the state of Florida.

TA&M: Give Jimmy some credit. He saved a class that looked much depleted after Sumlins firing. The aggies were the highest risers on NSD.

LSU: O my, angst in tigerland. Coach O and his seat is getting hot. (Related story below). Tiger fans were counting on a top 10 finish. That did not happen and the Tiger class is rated below UF.

Candy’s predictions grade:

Boykin: I missed just like everyone else. I think the kid just changed his mind at the last minute. I do not think he was a game player.

Caleb Johnson: I missed on CJ. I believe UF was his 2nd choice and his first choice made a spot for him after a spot came open.

Dorian Gerald: I started feeling a turn for DG when he delayed his announcement. I am still laughing at the Arkansas pick. I had him going to the Aggies after his delayed announcement. On the CB predictions Arky was only at 4%. No one saw this coming. BTW Arkansas had the lowest rated class in the SEC.

Caleb Tannor: I got word late that Tannor was heading to Nebraska. He had been trending UF. As with many of these guys, you never know what happened to do these turn arounds.

Nesta Silvera: I was cautious with this one but on NSD eve, I had been told that NS was going to be a Gator. I took a peek at the internet early morning and saw he stuck with the Canes.

NPF: hardest guy to read. Here is the story. I have a friend who is a big OSU guy. On Monday we talked and he said, that OSU people he talked to expected NPF to stay in Florida. Tuesday afternoon, he texted me and asked what I was hearing. I told him NPF was starting to get some CB’s to the Buckeyes. He texted back and said he was hearing the same thing. One day and you get a complete turnaround.

Hits: Copeland, Watkins, Chatfield, King Rich, McDowell, Langham. Funny I was more confident about some UF missed on than those who signed.

OK, the Tiger story: I posted I was taking the field over lsu for PS2. Last week, my good contact in tigerland alerted me that lsu was worried that PS2 was in doubt. He asked me to check around and we would talk the next day. Our conversation the next day went something like this.

Me: Canes don’t think they get him or Tyson Campbell and they are worried Silvera is going to UF

Him: My contacts say he is staying in Florida, do you think he signs with the Gators.

Me: I’ve heard nothing to make me think that. Clemson thinks they have a shot.

Him: Clemson! Hell no, I know he ain’t going to Clemson.

Me: What about Bama?

Him: Damn it, I hate it but I’m afraid that he is going to GD Saban.

Me: I don’t want him in Florida if he is not a Gator.

30 Minutes or so Later:

Him: Candy, f-ing Surtain is going to Bama. Heard it from a good source.

Me: Sorry man, at least you still get Goodrich.

Him: silence for 3-4 seconds, we ain’t sure about that one either, that GD Ogeron.

Me: let’s talk after signing day.

Our next conversation was entertaining as he said the fans are really upset with O. They also have the highest paid DC in America. Boosters are saying 2019 is a big year for Coach O.

Miami Guy: Canes went from thinking they were getting 4 AH guys to just hanging on to NS. One late rumor that I never bought into was UF was going to get PS2, Chatfield and Silvera in a package deal. I might would have went for it if not for the lsu info.

More stuff next time as I remember more stuff that happened.

Closing Comments: Transition years are tough. Fortunately for UF, FSU, UT, Aggies all had transition classes also. I wait to see how CDM and staff approach recruiting with an entire year to work with. My mantra will be to take back the State and get back some of the 2019 de-commits.

Candy
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,836
    From what I've read I think NPF was always going to OSU if Schiano was there and we were never a player. I imagine we were never a player for NS also. He was just trolling us.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +15,135
    I always thought Skeeter only made straight biscuits.
    • Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,070
    Very interesting info candy. Always looking forward to your threads. That being said, I feel DM got what he needed. I really believe we have a staff that can coach them up. I also believe DM did not waste schollys on players he did not feel comfortable with. This team has more talent than any Mississippi team he ever coached. I don't expect us to be all that this year but I do believe we will see a much more exciting team out there to watch and that will be huge for next seasons class. UG will be very tough for a long time or as long as Smart is there. If DM can take over the recruiting in Florida, it will be a UF and UG battle to represent the SECE.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,134
    Again, we get a lot of drama for NSD and no one really knows anything with these kids. They will do what they do.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,185
    So @candymanfromgc who was your big surprise you would let us know after NSD? I'm guessing someone other than Langham and Silvera. Langham wasn't big enough and we had other possibilities at DE that did not work out. Silvera was a wait and see that many were hoping out hope for. Everyone else either fell as expected or we lost a few surprises. I'm just wondering if we were much closer with this possible surprise than most people knew.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Me too. Do they like butter and jelly? Ham and sausage? Hmmm....
  8. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,232
    Thanks Candy, as Always. I believe that you are usually correct when you lower a grade because of a shortage of signees at a position, however, as you note with the Transfers that must be adapted based upon the situation.

Regarding the Front 7, last year, 8 kids were recruited for the Front 7, 4 DL, 4 LB. 5 of these 8 ended up redshirting either due to suspensions, injury or not being ready. This year, only 3 Front 7, 4 counting Dullap, which seems low, but it means that there are going to be a reasonable number on the roster, due to have 5 Frosh LBs and 3 Frosh DLine + 1 soph. The same is pretty much true at DB, where the loss of Russel made it only 3, but last year there were 6, and 6+3 = 9 for 4-5 positions, and there will be 4 Frosh due to the One DB RS.

Certainly not as many as Mullen wanted, but not really a shortage, like in the Good Ol Muschamp days, when he recruits 4 LBs 1 year, and 1 another year, and ZERO the other 2 years.

Recall that Coach Mullen said, when talking about all the Senior OLine kids: "That's not SMART!" You don't want to overload one year. "Ideally I'd like to sign 21 kids each year, maybe 22 with an Athlete included."

When you count in the Transfers and eliminate Russel, this is 22 new additions, with Clement as the Athlete.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,155
    Great post Candy. Man your really good at this. Two questions before I start:

I think we need to take back the state recruiting and everything changes. What would you grade Mullen for the state of Florida in his short time to recruit?

When and who do you think Mullen's first 2019 commitment will be? I ask because I was hoping for 1-2 in the two weeks following signing day. We are not there yet but will be there before we know it.

Thoughts on our recruiting targets:

Johnson and Tannor hurt
    Silvera really hurts but never thought was coming here. I know people with more info. Than me felt the same way. There were a few things that made some feel we had a legit shot but I never felt we had much of a chance. He is a true Cane and has been for a long time.

NPF-again, once we saw Meyer got last visit my 50/50 ( at best) swung 85-15 in favor of OSU. Many don't like to hear it but Meyer is a Mariano Rivera type closer. If we focus on our state alone and sprinkle in Georgia, Texas and the Carolinas and we do well in our state we will be back to being truly competitive with FSU, Bama, and other elite programs.

Barnes-Writing was on the wall to NC two months ago but this is a huge miss as this kid was Gator for the last two years.

All that being said still an excellent class.
  10. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,570
    Here's a good list of top 2019 targets:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-top-targets-class-2019

IMO, coaches will start putting a ton of pressure on kids to sign in the early period. If we can land 18-20 each cycle early, that gives our staff a huge advantage in only having to focus on two to six or seven recruits to fill the class....and at the same time focusing on the next cycle.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,555
    Good stuff brother. I agree with your grades.

Signing langham and Chatfield cannot be understated. Those are 2 ridiculously talented kids regardless of where Chatfield winds up playing.

We signed alot of talent and unfortunately we lost a whole lot too but that was expected to a point.

I've tried telling anyone that would listen that Silvera, at one point, was more Gator than Cane. Hence my 65% prediction to UF. Obviously I don't know exactly what transpired for him to go to Miami but he was very close to being a gator. Believe dat!!

At one point it looked like we would sign the best OL class in the universe and that slowly fell apart. I believe we salvaged a marginal OL class by signing King Rich. He's going to be a great player for us.

We almost struck out at LB. We got a player in Reese and if Chatfield slides over that will make 2 monster Lbs for us even though we needed 3-4.

For many reasons, I knew NPF, would be a buckeye for months. That's a hard pill to swallow. He's going to be a great one.

Our WR haul is absurd. Copeland A+, Watkins A+ and Clement is a B+.

Overall our coaches did a terrific job. They didn't reach for kids that will never play and we've made in roads at most power house schools in Florida.

Well done Dan.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +7,555
    Yes, silvera. I cannot stress to you how close he was to becoming a gator. A few weeks ago I tabbed him at 65% Gator and i was given alot of grief for it.

Biggest disappointment would have to be the OL overall. We had far too many blue chip Lineman within spitting distance from uf..(Barnes, Montilus, NPF, the 2 IMG kids, etc...)

Missing out on Boykin, Lamar, Tannor and Caleb Johnson were all painful.
  13. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,836
    I was happy with the class and it was much better than I expected after Mac imploded. I wasn't disappointed at all in missing on Boykin, Lamar, Tannor and Johnson. Really not even Gerald. Happy to see Langham sign. I was hoping there would be a miracle with NS but didn't expect it. And I never expected NPF so that one didn't bother me. It's been obvious for months that Barnes was not going to be in the class for whatever reason. From a pure talent perspective I would have preferred Corral to Jones but in my mind he was a major risk for several reasons so taking Jones instead didn't bother me much. Getting Copeland and Chatfield, and keeping Pearce in the fold were potentially big. Watkins too if he qualifies.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +7,555
    Damn. Zack took that list almost directly from mine!! Lol. My next compilation is going to be more in depth and exhilarating. Can't wait!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,841
    I said before NSD that I would call this class a success if we signed Copeland and one of Gouraige, Petit-Frere or Barnes. Well, we accomplished that, and added Langham and Chatfield in the bargain. Losing Boykin was a blow, and it's sort of amusing how disappointed I was that we couldn't add Silvera after essentially writing him off as a useless chase for about six months.

So I'll say Mullen and the staff had a successful recruiting class. Jones is huge, Copeland is huge and in general the ability to hold things together in a transition class and not get blown away is impressive.

Still, we have to hit the ground running for 2019. None of the "Well, you can't expect huge results in a coach's first full class, relationships yada yada" rationalizations we heard for McElwain in 2015. We need to get back to recruiting at traditional Florida levels immediately, especially with Georgia widening the talent gap. We need a home run this year - top five class, at least, with genuine superstar talent.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +21,589
    Good write-up, thanks

Regarding NPF we got in on him too late. Wasn't going to happen.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. candymanfromgc

Ratings Received:
    +6,890
    On Nesta Silvera: Silvera was on a call with the coaches at scum. At the same time he was also on the phone with Marco Wilson. When Notorious says that NS was close to being a Gator, I believe he was right. I was told that Silvera had already told some friends he was flipping to UF. As of Wednesday morning, that was the plan. My Miami contact had heard the same thing. I was in class and on break checked in to find out what had happened with the AH 4. Right after I checked, I got a text from my UM guy saying NS changed his mind again when he woke up and stuck with UM.

UM part 2: I alluded to the rumor that three of the AH 4 would announce for UF. I didn’t buy it as I had the news from my lsu guy and he is very seldom wrong. He works for Big Tiger booster and they talk a lot. A mysterious tweet went out late Tuesday night from at least one Recruiting guy. He was very vague but I believe this is what he was referencing

Fabian Lovett: Early on signing day, Lovett was torn between UF and MSU. He was going to delay it until Friday ala Gerald. I have no doubt UF would have taken FL and then he succumbed to family pressure and signed with MSU.

As for who might be CDM’s first 2019 recruit it would be a WAG on my part but I would lean to one of the de-commits coming back on board. My early opinion is this could be a very strong class.
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,442
    This thread is the first time I've ever heard of King Rich. Whoever he is, wherever he came from, I'm glad that we have him.
  19. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,836
    Hmm. I read on TOS that Lovett's dad wanted UF but he wanted MSU. Only the family and maybe a few others know for sure. Someone else claimed that Gerald's dad wanted UF but he wanted Arky cuz some of his buds were going there.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. candymanfromgc

Ratings Received:
    +6,890
    That makes a lot of sense crl. It is apparent there was a conflict of choice and UF lost in both cases. Unsure of who these friends of Gerald would be. Early on it seemed he and Noah Jefferson were hitting it off
    • Agree Agree x 1