Can we win throwing the ball?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Sep 3, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    The whole "mentality" of Muschamp argument is so odd. Is that the mentality of his mentor, Saban? Or of Fisher, who was also mentored by Saban?

Florida State has far more talent and experience at the skill positions (owing chiefly to their 2011 class), a more established offensive line, a system that has been in place for seven years and every single player on their roster has been recruited for, and they were playing on the road and needed to win. That is the exact opposite of our offense.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    who would be happy with the passing game last year? Did you see the blocking from the tackl RB and TE position last year? Did you see the WR play last year? Nobody could beat man coverage

Richard Johnson ‏@RagjUF 15m
    Pease: When a team plays quarters coverage like Toledo do you throw the ball down field? No.
  3. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    I also watched a usce O air it out to defeat Michigan in last years bowl game. Sometimes it's not being down by all that much, sometimes it may be needing a quick score because we're down by 6. It is correct, even having to throw when you're down doesn't always work but being able to pass when need to gives you better odds than if you're not used to throwing all that much.

I've seen more comebacks by far with a passing attack than a run plodding offense.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    But what does he know?
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    When did I say we were built to? I have actually said we need to get better players on offense
  6. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    The proof is in the pudding. Let's see how the offensive gameplan looks against Miami.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Okay, what would you run against quarters, then?
  8. richardtangeman

richardtangeman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Meaningless to whom? Recruits? Media? Fans? Booster who provide extra cash for improvements?
  9. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    Of Saban, Fisher and WM, WM imo is far more conservative when it comes to the O. It's just his 3rd year but I do see a trend.

Now what I don't know is because I'm not at practice, is it simply his philosophy? Is it that JD has difficulty reading defenses and thus throwing medium to long passes is more risky, is it that medium passes are called but JD chooses to go underneath? Is it that it has been stressed so much ball protection that JD plays extra cautious?

As of this date, all we really know about our passing attack is that it's near the bottom, and that it seems 90% of our passes are under 10 yards. Now, things can change and only time will tell.

Good news we have talented runners and we have done well with that. But it would also seem that effectivly running the ball should set up the pass and not just the 10 yard variety.
  10. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    You can believe that excuse if you want, but whatever I say isn't going to matter.
    My point is that I find it hard to believe most teams will run quarters against a team that has no mid/deep passing game.

We will find out if we have a mid level passing game over the next two games. We will see who is right when we watch the games against Miami and Tennessee. If they are still dinking it around then you have your answer. If they aren't then I have mine.

I really hope you are right. I want nothing more than Jeff to be able to lead a competent passing attack.
  11. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Agreed. Why would any defense basically play prevent against a team that they know wants to run the football and has only shown the ability to dink and dunk the pass but not really the ability to make you pay deep even if you stack the box? I'm sure they ran it at certain occasions, but not the whole game. Toledo's coach can't be that stupid.

Put on any UGA game or Bama, or hell even LSU who has a pretty terrible offense and I bet you never see a team play that kind of way against them. And even if they did I bet those teams would still be able to execute and beat them down field on multiple occasions.

I've never seen a good offense just take what the defense gives them. They take what they want, which is big plays and touchdowns. The coaches trying to say "we only took what the defense gave us" is like you saying that this ugly girl you know "has a great personality". Its just the nice way of saying its not that great. The coaches know it. They want to get better, they admit it. But they have to be PC in the press.
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,915
    I thought fsu/Pitt looked a lot like UF/Louisville. Could our defense stop those kinds of pass attacks? I'm more concerned about that than having to win by passing.
  13. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,872
    "I believe in 3 yards and a cloud of dust"........"I believe in 3 yards and a cloud of dust"......."I believe in 3 yards and a cloud of dust".....
  14. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    AZ thinks that a two minute offense will magically come out of the sky if we ever need it.
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    who said this I certainly didnt
  16. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    So far I believe the consensus is that as of now, the answer is no. If the Gators are forced to go by way of air we are in serious trouble. We don't utilize a hurry up offense, we don't have the personnel, and maybe we think if we go with plan A this won't ever need to be implemented. But unless I've read wrong, the answer so far is no. That is imo troublesome.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    But what team in the SEC would answer yes? Most teams dont win games when they are down 17 points. The troublesome part is being down that much in the first place. When you are most of the time you lose
  18. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Yeah I should have said impressed with the progress. Not overall impressed as in it is a elite passing offense...just impressed compared to last season. I think the passing game is much better this season than last.

I also would have liked to see a little more airing it out vs Toledo, but a part of me makes me think they kept it more vanilla against Toledo to hide the improvements in the passing game so Miami doesn't see it. Not that we will air it out against Miami, but I think we will pass more against Miami than Toledo....unless Miami cannot stop the run at all, in that case we will run like crazy (which in the situation I would not mind because it means we will win).

I agree with you the running game will be even better when we have a great passing threat. It will be a scary offense then.
  19. 4everaGator

4everaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    Much of the concern some posters have here about the vertical passing game were also present in 2006 when Chris Leak led our team to an MNC. The short passing attack worked very well against OSU, but we sweated out a good many close games when the offense stalled. I have seen enough to believe that we have improved over last season and I am hopeful for a good to great season.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Believe what excuse? The same one nearly every offensive coordinator at every level gives when they refer to checking down against umbrella coverages?

Why? The last thing you want to do as a defensive coordinator is allow a team without a deep threat to beat you, and that is exactly what can happen when you blitz excessively or leave someone isolated in man coverage. A corner can trip , a safety can bite on play action, a receiver can get a good break. If a team has a deep threat, then you bracket them on the interior or shade a safety over top of him or you blitz, but you typically don't sit back in these over looks and let the same receiver eat you up on the intermediate routes. You have to attack it.

Different coordinators will of course approach it different ways based upon their personnel, but is hardly unprecedented for a defense to keep everything in front of it, regardless the opposition.