Can we win throwing the ball?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Not with Jeff Driskel and Pease knows it
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    This guy is on to something Tyler Murphy needs to play more
  3. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    Well this style does produce less turnovers which is why Muschamp is using it. We didn't have many turnovers last season. But Soc is right about needing some type of pass game in order to overcome a penalty that can kill our drive.

But I was actually impressed with the passing game against Toledo and think it was the case of us not showing our full hand in the passing game. I know people said the same thing last year against the cupcake first opponent, but last year the passing offense was just terrible. It is a lot better this year. Driskel looked a lot more poised and comfortable. I think he will give us enough passing game to avoid our offense always being killed by a simple holding penalty or a sack.

Also our run game will be a lot better this season than last and will produce very few negative plays.
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    This. Also mistakes are much more likely especially for us with the penalties. One holding penalty took us from a TD, to first and goal, to 0 points on the board. If we were perfectionist at pounding the ball and controlling the clock while putting up points and did it all mistake-free then by all means go for it. But our offense shoots itself in the foot way too often to rely on that for points. Also the opportunity for big plays is so much more prevalent in the college game as opposing defenses are also susceptible to making coverage mistakes. All you have to do is be willing to attack.
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    Seems like we should me more concerned with the staff not getting players to have penalties than throwing the football. Big plays also come in the running game.

What pass plays would you call vs quarters coverage?
  6. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but Driskel is our best option. He just isn't a good passer and probably never will be.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    Driskel is a good passer though.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    Most teams that are down by two scores against a good defense are going to lose unless they get some breaks. Few just throw their way out of it. We certainly don't have the talent in the passing game to zing our way to a big comeback. We were behind by two touchdowns one time the entire season last year. Yes, we lost, but most other teams will, as well. Spurrier sure couldn't dig out of a two score hole against us. Nor could Bama against A&M. Or UGA against SC. I don't think LSU was down by two scores all year.
  9. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Pease sure thinks so :roll:
  10. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that I was "impressed" with the passing game but you could see obvious improvement in protection, WRs getting open, JD scanning the field, spreading it around to different WRs.

I just disagree with the philosophy of only taking what the defense gives you, and not testing the defense (and yourselves) to be more aggressive and actually practice it in real-live game situations. For a coach that loves getting as much practice and live reps and preparation as much as WM does, I'm kind of surprised that this is his approach. Also it would be nice to pull away from the lesser opponents and let our younger guys get some of those precious live reps. Our games against BG, ULL, and Jax St were so close last year I don't think that really ever happened.

And your last point about the running game, I can't help but think how much better it could actually be with the occasional threat of beating the defense over the top when they stack the box. Its actually really impressive what the run game can accomplish with not much of a passing threat at all.
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    Pease does think Jeff is can pass
  12. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

His playcalling suggests something else.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,887
    You really don't have a clue whats going on, just stop trying to act like you do.

Your reputation, or lack there of, will thank you.
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    another clueless poster
  15. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

I don't have a clue what's going on?
    So you're saying I'm like Jeff Driskel if his first option is covered.
  16. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,887
    You aren't going to stop are you? Well, I tried.... :clown2:
  17. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +975
    Maybe its just me, but whenever we get to a third and long, 8-15 yards to go, I almost expect a short crossing pattern, or a draw, or a screen, something safe. Last night watching sow there were numerous times they had 3rd and long and with a freshman qb, they picked it up. I've yet to see us do that. I'm not sure it's about JD as much as I think it's the mentality of WM as in don't turn the ball over, our D will hold and we will play it safe.
    That works most of the time. But lets face it, to advance to the SEC game or NC, we have no room for error. You have UL, and OS playing cupcake games and probably will go undefeated along with a few other schools. One loss can potentially end the NC run and even an SEC title if it's to usce. We can win the TOS and still lose the game if we fail to score TDs. We can by mistakes or whatever get down by 21 points, and we're going to make it up by run run pass? How do we know, how does the coaches know, how does the team know if we are capable of scoring quickly if it's seldom done during a game?

Against very good teams, marching up and down the field plodding our way leaves a lot of room for errors. We already know when this O is penalized its difficult to make it up. So, yes I'm in favor of when we have a comfortable lead, air it out. Let JD get experience in a hurry up O.
  18. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    So the reason the majority of pass plays called are simple short crossing routes that are easy reads for a QB are......?

Pease has stated over and over he wasn't happy with the passing game last year and they want to get more vertical. Yet I saw nothing in the first game that showed any of that. Toledo's D was awful. Our WR's regulary had 5 yards of seperation and they only had a handful of plays where there was any pressure on him. Jeff should have carved them up
  19. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Interesting point. It is safe to say this team doesn't have a two minute offense. CWM it content to run out clock at the end of a half. End of a game? Wow. For a score? Or if we're behind 2+ scores? This offense does not seem capable. I said "seem" so that is my opinion but there can't be many that think we're built to execute a two minute drill with any precision(besides AZ).
  20. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    :shhh: