Can we trust Muschamp's talent evaluation

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by swampsupreme, Sep 23, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,792
    You do realize he is coming back from a pretty severe illness, right?
  2. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    Don't forget when they moved Floyd to DE and then finally realized that was a mistake and moved him back to DT.
  3. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,792
    No doubt he was best at DT, but I don't think it was a "mistake"... it was trying to cover for a glaring weakness in personnel at DE, while we had other capable bodies at DT.
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Right, they did it because they were trying to get the best players on the field they knew what his best position was.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,058
    I think this is one of the silliest threads I've ever seen.

If any of you think that you know more about who should be on the field based on high school highlight videos and practice blogs than the FULL TIME, PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL COACHES whose JOBS DEPEND ON WINNING...then I think you're a little crazy.

The coaches watch them play, interview their high school coaches and family, see them practice every day, see their strengths and weaknesses up close and personal, see their personal character, work ethic and motivation, see whether they are selfish or team players, and on and on. Oh yeah, did I mention that their jobs depend on winning with the players they choose to put on the field?

There are plenty of players that look good in practice and have trouble adjusting to live games. There have also been players who don't practice well, but have a different gear for live action. It still isn't a perfect science, but I think we have to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt here.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,813
    I hope this is in jest
    • Like Like x 1
  7. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    See also playing Easley at DE and now back at DT ... yes?
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,792
    Absolutely... as AZ says, coaches trying to get the best players on the field together.
  9. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    I get that but if your best players don't play the position you don't switch them...for example...if our best players were in the secondary and we had a linebacker issue but we wanted to get our best players out there would you move someone like Hargreaves to linebacker? Of course not...and yes there is a world of difference between secondary and linebackers but there is also a big difference between DT and DE. Let's just say they are trying to cover up a mistake for not having enough quality DE's to play...I think coaches trying to get the best players on the field together is an easy cop out for saying we didn't recruit enough quality players at the correct positions.
  10. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    but the coaches thought he was 100% when they started him against miami, which turned into a disaster---fumble on his first series, 2.8 yards per carry in the game.
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    who should have started at DE that year? Yes Meyer left the team with some great talent but low numbers at certain positions. I forgot which one was hurt but either Easley or Floyd was so Floyd ended up playing end that year and Easley tackle. It is like people forget we were going through a a coaching transition.

This staff's philosophy is to get the best 11 on the field. We have Watkins and Riggs playing safety right now for that very reason.
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    They seem to be saying they didnt expect him to be a 100 percent and that it is going to be a process.
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,669
    This should be stickied for those who think they actually know more about college football than even the most inept coach...
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,075
    Not even close. He played strongside end because we needed him there. He was the best at "setting the edge," Howard was our returning three-technique, we still had Hunter to play both tackle spots, and Easley was the guy we put at the one to create penetration through the A-gaps. It worked pretty well. We moved them the next year to get Easley off the nose, especially after he was forced to miss spring due to the ACL, and shifted everyone else downward. If you are going to say it was a "mistake" to move Floyd to end, then you would have to say the same thing about Easley, but then we wouldn't have anyone playing end.
  15. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,792
    I'm sure they're trying to work him back into game shape... hopefully be strong by LSU or at least UGA.

But based on how he has played so far, I can certainly see an argument for spreading carries to other backs until he's further along. No doubt Mack benefited from that last week.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,075
    You are aware that it was Muschamp's second year on the job, right? And that he brought in a pair of consensus top ten defensive ends in the 2011 class, too, right? How exactly did they not "recruit enough quality players at the correct positions" in the first year of the new staff?
  17. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    That's not fair to judge it by this kind of standard. There are busts and surprises in every class for every team. Can't miss prospects miss and guys who are passed over by multiple schools go on to have amazing careers in college and beyond. Jerry Rice went to MVSU.
  18. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +841
    Questioning Champ's defensive personnel decisions is pretty crazy to me. Last year we arguably had the best D in the country. This year, ditto. And the problem is...?
  19. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    And neither one of them can pick up a blitzing linebacker, safety or corner to save their life, so that argument flies out the window too.

Mike is going to get his shot in Miami. One thing I like about Philbin is that he gives young players chances. That TE bust out of Missouri caught a pass last week and every one of us Dolfans wanted his rear end canned after last year's training camp.
  20. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    We are running out of things to criticize ....?
    • Like Like x 1