Can we trust Muschamp's talent evaluation

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by swampsupreme, Sep 23, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    I would have to look but I dont think we have recruited equally on the offensive side of the ball. Especially when you take attrition into account. Not one player that starts on defense was a 3 star player out of high school. Every player that starts on D was ranked in the top 12 at their position coming out of high school and 5 5 star players see significant time on the defensive side of the ball.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,703
    It's not close. We've been far better recruiting on defense than offense until this year... especially including attrition.

Will take time for the young guys to get up to speed.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    I assume that especially on offense, Champ gets a lot of input from Pease and the position coaches. At least I hope so.

I have never heard it said that Pease, or any of the position coaches, just fell off of the turnip truck. In fact wrt to receivers, their coach has pretty impeccable credentials. Pease has been around the block, and was a key component in one of the sexier offenses in the country. Is White a doofus? Maybe the TE coach should be coaching volley ball?

Do the coaches just take a congenital dislike to some players and won't play them because of it? I think that is why my high school coach wouldn't let me shift from guard to QB; and the baseball coach benched me just because I was hitting like 1 for 20. Or maybe not.

Wait I get it. Champ who has actually only had two of his own recruiting classes believes that the defense can score 7 points per game, and that should be enough to win any contest. But, what about Urban? He didn't like offense? Or were there just not enough folks to fill the Percy Harvin position? (Gee. I have searched high and low, and never found a Percy Harvin position listed in football. I suspect that trying to fit recruits into someone else's shoes probably turns them off.)

Back to the subject. Why do we have these pissing contests? Is there really nothing better to do than second guess the Pros?
  4. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +625
    Have you actually watched their films? I do not think Cook's style is very similar.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    I see what you did there. Very sneaky. It has to be the staff's talent evaluation or their development (in the tried and true 90s visor verbiage of "coaching them up"), but surely it can't be the imbalance of talent respective to offense and defense that Muschamp inherited (read: 2010 class) or the fact that the best holdover talent from Meyer's last few classes were largely spread triple option type players (Driskel, Debose) or it surely can't be because we missed out on our top two playmaker targets in 2012 (Diggs, Algohor), with no one in the ballpark to replace either.
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    I disagree that they have similar skill sets. Taylor is like Mark Ingram where Cook is like CJ Spillar. Can you see Taylor as a kick runner or punt returner in college? What about Cook? I dont know what Taylor leading the state in rushing has to do with anything.
  7. tec68

tec68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    You know what i hate?

Muschamp doesnt recruit any good players on offense.

They are not ready to play the first snap of the first game as Freshmen and all of them should be ready even if they have a torn ACL or MCL or PCL or TCL or YCL or LCL or UCL or ICL or ECL or RCL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muschamp is a horrible talent evaluator. He doesnt go out and recruit guys that every other team wants like DJ Humphries, Matt Jones, Kent Taylor, Colin Thompson, Latroy Pittman, Jessamen Dunker, Alvin Bailey, Ahmad Fulwood, Demarcus Robinson, Marqui Hawkins, Adam Lane, Kelvin Taylor, Dalvin Cook, Will Grier, Ermon Lane.

Nope he is absolutely down right horrible. In the immortal words of Charles Barkley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hIqesIVX-c
  8. klgator

klgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    I'm so tired of people knee jerking that fact. What it really is:<BR>

7-0 then 6-3. It's all about the TREND.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    That doesn't seem very cherrypicky?

6-3 is history, man. We're 1-0. It's all about the trend.
  10. klgator

klgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    I'll drink to that!
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,343
    So if a coach has "credentials," then they are above criticism?
  12. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +641
    While I normally agree, this is apples and oranges. THIS YEAR'S offense was NOT scorching UT in GAINESVILLE THIS YEAR. TM comes in after the injury and even the playcalling improved somewhat. The pick six was a pass that should have never been thrown. The camera angle from behind JD shows the line of sight and the defender was there prior to the throw. JD may have been trying to throw it away because he got hit while throwing, only he can answer that.

Humphries getting abused on the play didn't help either.

But, we saw both QBs on the same day against the same day. Who looked better?
  13. gatorsfan530

gatorsfan530 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,445
    I'll take what Muschamp has to say on personnel matters
  14. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    Not sure if this thread is the right place but just read that Champ has no plans to take Purifoy off kick returns.

This... is disappointing unless it's simply meant as a diversion to other coaches. Purifoy has shown nothing but a propensity to nearly get killed on KR thus far and as the second half against TN showed even our vaunted secondary can be thinned with enough injuries.

Hell, did no one else notice that Roberson tweaked his knee on a PR (which I do believe are inherently safer than KR)
  15. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,920
    Plain and simply, Muschamp is building the team his way. No different than any other head coach. He wants tough and complete players. THAT is why our current crop of elite talent isn't getting on the field, or at least during the regular rotations. He wants certain things from them and then they get to see the field. Not getting the message or still somewhat immature, then you get to sit.

Personally, I am just glad that Murph stepped up as well as he did when his name was called. The others need to see how getting with the program WILL pay dividends. Now if you ask why KT isn't on the field because he fumbles in practice whereas Matt is and fumbles in actual games, well there must be some other issues in play outside of fumbling.
  16. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    If our running back situation doesn't send a red flag to those who think we don't have an evaluation problem, well, I/we can't help you.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    I think we still beat UT by just as much with Jeff. Down by 7 with most of the game to go is not a good way to tell how the game was going to go.
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,703
    You want to elaborate on that?
  19. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    "Matt Jones is our clear number 1 running back"
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    Well they said that until he had a virus that put him in the hospital for 8 days and missed all of fall camp. Now it looks like they are going by RB by committee