Can we keep Muschamp and fire a bunch of 'fans'?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cpgator, Oct 20, 2013.

1. cpgator

cpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    In 1996 Florida was dominating EVERYONE. Then Jeff Mitchell suffered a season-ender against Georgia. That's one guy. The next week Danny was running for his life against Vandy in a game we could have easily lost. The offense sputtered the next few weeks and DW got totally bombed in the FSU game. SOS lost Shaw last night and lost to UT, a team that has defined suck for the last how many years? TAM had Johnny banged up and lost to an Auburn team that has been hapless for several years. UF played a good Mizzou team without their best QB, RB and DL and banged up OL. Now people are shocked that it was a bad game for UF and calling for heads?

Strong teams can make weak teams look stupid. SOS was a champ at that and Urban did too when he had the horses. Sometimes you get bad breaks. Just remember what happened to UT when they called for Phil's head at UT after a couple of down years.
  2. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    I know! Those terrible impatient fans. It's happened at many schools. USC fired Paul Hackett (the nerve!). Miami fired Randy Shannon (the ingratitude!). Alabama fired Mike Shula (how rude!).
  3. CitRain12

CitRain12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    Auburn beat Tamu with talent and coaching. DW got experience and won. USCe has a competentent backup. UT got lucky and has a good coach. Fulmer was fired due to his complacency and bad coaching. Theres a reason hes coaching in a tv studio and not on the sideline. Meyer left the OL bare. He quit on UF and ran to OSU.
    WM and BP havent addressed the problems. No slants, long developing plays with bad oline. Moore was beat like a drum yet you switch Garcia. Same result. Are they confused? Scared of WM blowing up on them? KT is killing it, TD. Next drive. Pass 3 times. The penalties are absurd. How does a punter like Christy regress?!?
    UF fans may have high expectations, but so do Texas, ND, Bama, USC. CEOs get fired when they dont meet investors and customers expectations and they lose money. Its the nature of business and WM stock is sinking with every bad L. He just wasnt ready. His hires of Lewis, Weis, Davis, Pease, the OL coach before him. Its the scheme as well, but then again it all falls at WMs feet.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorsfan530

gatorsfan530 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,445
    Yes
  5. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I'm all for keeping Muschamp as long as he gets some talented coaches on Offense next year. If Pease is totally in control of the offense/play calling, then he is in BIG trouble. Yes, we have had tons of injuries and our talent level is down a bit, but we are not even competing right now....and that is simply NOT acceptable at Florida!
  6. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    It's very easy to say 'get some talented coaches' but actually a lot harder to do now in my opinion. After messing up his first two OC hires! Muschamp, if he survives this debacle of a season, will be on the hot seat next year and there will be enormous pressure on him to succeed...which talented, proven offensive coordinator do you think is going to want to work here under those circumstances? No one will want to join and unproven head coach whose style of offense if about as entertaining as strip to the dentist in a do-or-die type season.
  7. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    We won last year with a good amount of luck. This year is the complete opposite.

Either way our offense has been bad now what 4 years in a row? Something needs to change. I am not saying fire WM, but something and I am not sure what at this point.
  8. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,165
    Check the stands at the Swamp the next couple of games and it'll be apparent that Muschamp is already accomplishing what you're asking for. I'm afraid the Ga Southern game will resemble a spring game.
  9. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +542
    Hungary Gator pretty much took this thread by its throat and gave it a good thrashing hah.
  10. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Injuries have had the biggest affect on the team .However, the offensive line is offensive, the defense has gone backwards and play calling is so predictable especially the Wildcat (needs to be dumped asap) formation that even the bus drivers know what's coming. The coaches need to man up...we're looking at losses to uga,Vandy,usce and halfassu...no bowl this year. We can't block anybody, can't stop anybody and have been out coached ,,,it's as simple as that.
  11. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +758
    Looking at the lower attendence, our style of play is already
    running off fans.

Foley has made the same mistake twice. Hiring a D coach without
    any HC experience.

Spurrier had his own O and so did Meyer. We should never
    hire less than that.

After the Canes game I got blasted for saying pretty much what many
    say now.

I said if we lose to UGA again, WM was going to catch it from
    the boosters. Many said no way, but here we are going into
    the game worse off than most thought
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +795
    Let me guess. You were against firing Zook too. You thought we made a huge mistake cause he was so close. You thought he would be very successful at Illinois. I like Champ too. But Champ isn't working. The excuses are mounting. Next year year will be 'he has a brand new offensive system', give it time.

Stop complaining about the fans. Without passionate fans there isn't Gator football. Without passionate fans, we can't afford to pay millions of dollars to someone to win games for us. And that's the key, no need to feel bad for Muschamp. He is being paid a crap load of money to hire the right people, recruit the right players, and win big. Plain and simple. When he doesn't, and looks totally inept trying, he should be held accountable. He is running a corporation, and our stock is tanking.
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,025
    This is for sure! They are not doing a good job.
  14. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Didn't fsu have the most players drafted last year? Look where they are at.
  15. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,025
    No!
  16. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +795
    Exactly. And Ole Miss has more injuries than us. And still found a way to compete. It's always easy to come up with excuses when you are not doing your job.
  17. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    "Florida State leads nation with 11 Draft Picks". Check it.
  18. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +564
    I'm not sure what the answer is, but it sure has been frustrating to go from the offense everyone feared to the offense everyone laughs at.

Some of the things I find most frustrating:

1. We were competing for the driver's seat in the SEC east and our team did not seem motivated. It almost looked like the defense gave up on Muschamp's overall philosophy yesterday. The impression I got was: "If the offense can't move the ball, why should we have to carry this team every game?"

2. Our offensive line- this unit has progressively gotten worse since 2010.

3. The offensive philosophy. The ground and pound, shorten the game, milk the clock for 3 plays and punt is just bad.

4. The play-calling; which basically relates to #3 on this list.

IMO, at this point, their needs to be a shake-up in current philosophy, the assistant staff, or the top.

Some here are alluding to the idea that we caught some breaks in our championship seasons. I don't disagree, but here is the problem with where we were then vs. where we are now: In seasons that we caught breaks under SOS or Urban Meyer we won the national championship. In the season we caught breaks under WM, it just looked like one of Spurrier or Meyer's normal seasons when they didn't catch breaks. It seems that a season like last year is the ceiling for us right now, and who knows what the floor could be?

To the best of my knowledge I have been pretty positive most of the time. That said, calling something good or even average when it is bad can't be a healthy response from any fanbase, and I don't think WMC, SOS, UM or anyone else would expect that. This doesn't mean I will cheer or support the team any less than before.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  19. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,025
    Who gives a rats-a$$ about that shit-hole school. I'm only concerned about who we have on our team. But, I do think we need to use every single scholarship we can... every single year, and not hold them over for next year. Becasue next year never gets us the extra players we seem to need and expect to sign.
  20. UKNWGator

UKNWGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    I'll take option C, not losing to Missouri by 3 TDs.