Can Tyler Murphy Play Within His Abilities?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    To me, the key to the game will be getting Tyler Murphy to play like Tyler Murphy. There must be a ton of pressure on this kid right now. Even posters on here have unwittingly piled on, saying things like "We'll see if he's good after Baton Rouge" etc. Don't you think he feels that? There can be no doubt that we owe our success to Tyler, but he knows Death Valley is not the same as Commonwealth Stadium. Will he continue to play his game and not force things that aren't there? If you're Pease or Chris Leak, what do you tell him? How do you calm him down and keep him playing smart football? Let's be honest, of the 2 QBs here, based on history, Mettenberger is a lot more likely to implode than Murphy. How do you get Murph to play within himself and wait for Mettenberger to mess up, because I guarantee it will happen if we don't self destruct first.
  2. ugaGator

ugaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    I hope he plays out of his mind!
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    So far, Murphy's displayed quite a knack for not getting rattled and taking bad risks. Tiger Stadium is obviously a different environment, but I am personally not worried about this aspect.

Is LSU going to shut down our running game? Can our receivers get open? If our O-line and our RBs do their job, I'm confident that Murphy will do his. If not, he might have to bail them out. It's unknown to me whether he can pull off this more monumental task, but I'm confident that he can do what is reasonably expected of thim.
  4. mebegene

mebegene Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    The pressure -IS- on Tyler to perform but he shouldn't feel a loss (should it happen) would be entirely on him. He should just play to the best of his abilities and do what it takes to gain yards, keep the clock running and to not turn the ball over. If he does those things, LSU could have a great game and we'd still be able to keep it close.

Mebe
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,056
    I don't see it being on Tyler. Honestly, see it more on the staff. Of course Tyler has to do his part as a QB. Our run game has to work or Tyler's going to face a lot of pressure. The staff knows our run game hasn't been working well so I'm hoping they are ready to adjust we're just getting a couple yards a carry. Good lord, if I see those "wasted" plays up the middle 2 downs a possession I don't know what I'll think.

If we run up the middle stubbornly for 2 ypg then eventually Tyler throws an INT or two to a defense that figures out they can drop 6 into coverage then whose fault is that? I've said it before, if we run unsuccessfully to set up the pass, look out. If we don't have plays that work the perimeter or go over top of a defense that sold out to stop the run, then what kind of offense is that?

If we don't have swing passes, screens, two back sets with play action, bootlegs, ready to roll Tyler out to escape pressure, etc. then to me it's not on Tyler. You can't go into a game just knowing what it is you want to do.

Should we lose, the last thing I want to hear is "we don't have the playmakers for Pease to run his offense".
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,442
    We're the road dog against a team nobody outside of Gator nation is calling for us to beat. No lose situation for TM.

Just be himself and play his game, and we'll be alright.
  7. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +481
    I had to read the title twice...
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,280
    Lol. Me too! Two letters matter a lot.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  9. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    An actual football external to his body and outside his mind will be needed to win this game.
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,568
    Glad I wasn't the only one. Didn't think my mind could be in the gutter and on the football field at the same time.
  11. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
  12. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    We owe our success to our defense and need our QB to not turn the ball over and to avoid sacks, which Murphy has done. He has a nice touch on the ball especially when he is scrambling, which has helped move the chains. So far he has been good avoiding turnovers and sacks, and if he can do all of those things tomorrow we can be successful. He does not need to play out of his mind.
  13. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    There will be less pressure in this game then any other SEC game from here on out. Guys should have fun in this one. We control our Atlanta destiny regardless.
  14. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +879
    If I'm Muschamp, I just tell him to go out and have fun. LSU's defense isn't that great, so Murphy needs to focus on producing on offense the way we have been. Our defense is going to win or lose the game for us tomorrow, so go out there and play the same way you've been playing.

As a fan, I'm not really expecting a win anyway. I think I'd be moderately happy if we went in there, played a really nice game, and we're able to produce as we have been on offense. The last thing I want to see is for us to get down a few points and for the coaches to panic. The only way we win is by keeping the ball away from LSU's "better team", which is their offense.

If we can put long amounts of time into our drives, I bet we win. Either way, I'm just ready for this game to begin!
  15. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    We should expect a couple turnovers. We need to gameplan offensively to overcome a couple turnovers. They are likely on the road in a hostile environment. If they don't happen we will be in a great spot. But we can't go in banking on no turnovers.
  16. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    All he has to do is what he is coached to do. The real pressure is on the OL RB and WRs. Of they do their job we win an Tyler is just fine. If they dont then tyler has no chance because he will be running for his life.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    Learning from Chris and Brent is probably enough of a calming influence, but remember, the quarterback never plays against the other quarterback. He plays against their defense, and come Saturday, Murphy has the easier path, particularly on throwing plays. I have no doubt that he will be coached up to watch how Zach reacts to a fumble, INT, Pick Six, etc., and respond accordingly.

Leak knows more than anyone what it is like to go into Red Stick as a first year starter and upset a favored team. The only difference is that LSU had the best defense in the nation in 2003. I think Tyler will be just fine...
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,442
    How would you game plan to overcome turn overs against LSU?
  19. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    This should be good ...
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    You simply cannot overcome the common virtues of charity. It is better to give than to receive, and we must overcome the urge to give games away out of the goodness of our stout hearts...:laugh: