1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Can a school ban the American flag on 5/5? The Ninth Circuit hears arguments today..

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8rjd, Oct 17, 2013.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    There you go democrats, this is what you get with your pc politics.
  2. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
  3. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,093
    This is upside down to me. If students are going to be inflamed or prone to violence because someone is wearing an American flag, then that student should be controlled, disciplined, suspended or expelled.

The administrators have no kajones (is that a Mexican word?). They restrict the rights of one group of students due to threats and misbehavior from another group.

Administrators should have additional security that day and a zero tolerance policy for aggressive acts. Whatever happened to "tolerance"?
  4. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    cajones :) (And Mexicans speak Spanish, not Mexican...not sayin', just sayin')
  5. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,093
    I know it's Spanish...still it varies from one Spanish-speaking country to another. That was the intent of my phrasing. Thanks for the correction on cajones.
  6. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    The 9th Circus Court will affirm on behalf of the PC school - book it.

If you have a problem with a kid wearing a shirt with an American flag while in America . . . well, maybe you do have a problem. I agree with earlier poster that if there was a credible, known safety issue b/c certain "Mexican" students would incite or act out violently, then those students need to be dealt with. Just like I would encourage a school in Mississippi to restrain and punish some redneck who threatens disruption on MLK day.
  7. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    The Ninth has actually been one of the more receptive courts to student free speech claims historically, although they have tightened their view down somewhat since the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" case (for example the recent Wynar case that found a limited ability to discipline students for off-campus expressions threatening violence in school).

The "Bong Hits" case, after all, is one where the District Court dismissed the student's claim outright, the Ninth reversed and reinstated the claim, and then the Supreme Court threw the federal claim back out holding that the school was allowed to restrict student speech that was reasonably interpreted as encouraging illicit drug use.

Where the Ninth goes on this isn't necessarily a foregone conclusion, and it's a fairly interesting issue.
  8. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Hardly... 6 YEA, 3 NAY and 526 "present", IMO.
  9. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    The Ninth Circus? Why even bother with oral arguments? Just simply say "nothing to add, hour Honors..." An spend the rest of your time on the appeal to the USSC...
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,897
    I don't know, I can see the merits of both arguments, and neither decision would outrage me. I'd probably vote "present" too, and defer to the judgement of the court Dave. Gun to head, I'd side with the students, but I live in a "gun free zone." :)
  11. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Even though 60% (or more?) of your constituents wish for you to vote one way over the other? Really?

C'mon man... Grow a set, why don't you?
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,897
    I wouldnt consider going along with whatever is popular to be super-ballsy either, Dave.
  13. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    ...nor doing what you were sent there to do either, evidently...
  14. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,893
    This country is going and has been going to Hell for quite some time.
  15. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,895
    See, this is a bad thing. Nobody should see reason in any context for there to be a day on which is okay to ban the US flag from display in government school. I think in this country, the real majority/minority in politics is that the minority are people who think that there is even a debate here. But that minority? Probably makes up most of the ruling class in Washington, DNC or GOP, who may come down on the "debate" on either side but are nonetheless so far gone that they think there *is* a debate.

There isn't -- the idea that the display, by staff or student, of the flag of the actual country in which the building sits and under which nation it is subject to the laws and jurisdiction thereof, could be "offensive", is invalid. It does not deserve a moment's respect or consideration. It is not owed tolerance. They have the freedom in this contrary to their embarrassing opinion, and others have the right to ignore or, preferably, treat it with condescension. But there is no reasonable side on which one can stand and think "yes, the school is correct to prevent the US flag from display", any of the 365 days of a year.
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,474
    I got to laugh at all the outrage over a couple of "Tap Out" and "Old Navy" T-shirts....
  17. oaklandroadie

oaklandroadie Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Timely, especially with immigration reform moving to the President's front burner. Maybe those Mexican students didn't get the memo that they at least have to act as though they love the country that provides them a free education (as well as breakfast, lunch, after-school snack and health care) until they're legalized.
  18. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    It's their civil right, don't you know? One of the rights of man!
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,922
    What in the hell are you talking about... do I have you confused with a liberal? Seriously, maybe I'm thinking your are a different poster.

The problem with our giveaways are that it steals from the people working the hardest and most productively. The ones that prepared and are being forced to foot the entire bill for their families.

And no to the idiots that will reply "but if they don't qualify they are doing well enough without it." There are literally tens of millions of us who work hard, make decent money, struggle, but wouldn't qualify. Those people and families contribute one hell of a lot more and statistically are much more likely to produce more for this country than whiney, sniveling, racist illegals.

One solution to this illegal immigration nightmare could be to fund it with those who are willing to contribute to this farce instead of stealing from Americans to fund it. I'd be willing to bet most of you liberal supporters of your country's demise wouldn't be so fond of the extraordinary cost if the government came knocking on your door specifically to collect for it. You'd tell them to "go next door" and ask. :sick:
  20. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,922
    Was just asking if the situation is that Mexican kids get to wear theirs but they are specifically banning the American flag that day. Are they banning Mexican flags as well?