Calipari talking a little trash, mentions Florida

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 33hoop, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +729
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +862
    pffft... way to prove my point.
  3. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +862
    "Not only do they want to beat Kentucky, they want to beat you as an individual player. You know why? They wanted that scholarship you got and they want to prove they’re better than you..."

This, by far, is the arrogant part of the quote. The presumption that every player wanted to go to UK and play for him. I don't think he was taking a shot at any individual school, and I think the onset of his comments were meant to suggest that his young team operates in a sort of "ignorant bliss" that he will have to break them out of. Other than the portion above . . not much I would take any issue with.
    That said, he has an uncanny ability to present himself in the most arrogant of ways, even when not intending to do so.
  4. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +862
    Maybe I missed something, but it seemed most of his post agreed with you. He acknowledged his coach as arrogant, and widely unlikeable.

But, yes- - - if you find him incendiary, far be it for me to disagree. I do not follow the posts between the two of you. "Ignore" is probably a wise choice.
  5. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    By saying the statement he made is true, you are saying that all of our kids and all other college basketball players wish that they had the incredible opportunity that Calipari has allowed only the select few he has chosen to partake in, playing basketball for Kentucky. If you don't see how that statement, which you said was true, would ruffle our feathers, I don't know what to tell you. All you have admitted is that Calipari is arrogant which would be like me admitting that Will Muschamp is intense on the sidelines.
  6. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +862
    ^^ Yes--- I would agree. This is the most egregious part of Cal's comment. I would be surprised if REM would agree with its implication, but he can answer to that:

"Not only do they want to beat Kentucky, they want to beat you as an individual player. You know why? They wanted that scholarship you got..."
  7. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    It was a little different. SOS played for UF. He was (and may still be) a Gator at heart and was all about UF (or at least perceived to be). But yeah, Steve Superior is and was arrogant.

I was fine with the statement, maybe even a compliment to UF up until the aforementioned quote, where he is really putting down the players and building himself up.

Does anyone remember the joke "What do UF students and FSu students all have in common? The all got in to FSu". Sounds kind of the same.
  8. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +862
    I reveled in the opposition's disdain for Spurrier, and by extension, our program.
    That said, SOS did not have the baggage Cal does. At risk of doing exactly what I griped about... and turning this into a "Cal cheats" thread, I will say this:

I dislike Cal and his personality, but probably would not take near the issue with it if he were at UF. But I would NEVER want him at UF (and would stop cheering for Florida basketball if he were coach) for the reasons related to the past baggage and the perception (fair or unfair) he brings to a program. I have the same thoughts... though far different reasons... regarding Bob Knight.

That said, I don't blame UK fans for embracing their coach, program and its success.

But yes, Spurrier was brash. But it was outwardly so, and often very funny. At least to Florida fans! :)
    I still root for him at USC, and love his post game press conferences. It seems he is just so damn competitive that he cant help himself from making snide comments. It cracks me up.
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,021
    Calimari = Chairman of the Board
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    Spurrier is more like Pitino than Calipari. Both Spurrier and Pitino came to schools rocked by NCAA infractions, both instituted novel approaches to the game that worked, both had enormous success, and both finally escaped from the unrealistic expectations of their fanbase.
  11. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +862
    True. But I think he is comparing personality and brashness.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    Right. All he did was agree with me. Pretty much the dude responds to every post I make about UK with some direct insult of me, then pretends to provide some objective, unbiased commentary as if he were only here to discuss hoops. Whatever, man. DD never uses personal attacks or initiates a piss fest like REM, but I am more than glad to put him on ignore, even if it doesn't prohibit other posters from citing his little ad hominem slights.
  13. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    That was my initial reaction -- that Florida basketball just got equal billing to UNC and Louisville. Hard to see that as "trash talking" our program.
  14. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    A complement to be lumped in with UNC and Louisville but he is still saying our players are jealous of UK players.
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +629
    Yeah, like I mentioned, I don't agree with the part saying other kids wanted to be at Kentucky. The whole statement was overboard, but that part was worse. We're in agreement. When I said I agreed with the statement, I honestly wasn't recalling that part of it and even the rest of it I was agreeing with the general concept and not necessarily the exact details (players knowing specific dates, etc).

When I have to make that many qualifications, I probably shouldn't say I agree with something. But hopefully you see where my intention was now.
  16. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +357
    I tend to agree with this take for the most part
  17. jareduf

jareduf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +87
    I agree. Was nice to be thought of with those schools.
  18. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    rep
  19. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Much ado about nothing.

I'm no Calipari fan, but this "slight" at the Gators was not only no slight - it was just standard peptalk by a coach to his players.

In essence simply - "We're the best college basketball program, we get every other team's best because to beat UK will make their season, you guys are the cream of the crop and have the scholarships every other top player in the country coveted - and you need to show that you deserve that scholarship through your play". Hyperbole, of course, but motivation is a big part of coaching and hyperbole assists in motivation (and besides the every top player wanting a UK scholarship, none of it is too far from the truth).

As said above, if anything Calipari was complimenting the Gators by including us with the north Carolina's and Lousiville's of the world.

Still enjoyed the response about Donovan's players not knowing what it's like to lose in the first round of the NIT, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    Doesn't sound like a standard pep talk to me. Coaches like Billy teach humility to their players.