Calipari talking a little trash, mentions Florida

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 33hoop, Oct 7, 2013.

1. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Hope Donovan uses this for some locker room motivation when Florida and UK plays this season. Here is what Cal had to say to the media today in Lexington:

“If I ask my team when we play Florida, they’re not going to know. North Carolina? I’m telling you–and I’m going to do it today because I’ve thought about it–they don’t know. You think they know when we’re playing Louisville. They don’t know. They know ‘Is there a meal tonight?’. They don’t know.

Now, I ask you this. Does everybody on our schedule know when they’re playing Kentucky? All they know, and that’s in their locker, on the ceiling of their bedroom. You gotta deal with that, and it’s part of being at Kentucky. Not only do they want to beat Kentucky, they want to beat you as an individual player. You know why? They wanted that scholarship you got and they want to prove they’re better than you, not just their team is better than Kentucky. So that’s the challenge that we have. But would you want it any other way? I don’t. Bring it, let’s go.”
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Whatever you do, don't criticize Calipari or UK on this thread. Some UF fans apparently can not stand not getting to have a few UK fans here.
  3. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

I prefer them to you. The fact we cheer for the same team doesn't make you any less unlikeable.
    akaGatorhoops, ApexNC and Bradass like this.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

I don't think he intended any disrespect by it, but Calipari somehow exudes unparalleled arrogance in just about every public statement. From hearing him talk, you wouldn't think he had been a failure in the NBA and brought sanctions on his two previous programs. That is what bothers most fans. Nobody gave a rip about Pitino's success at UK or Tubby's success. It has nothing to do with the Kentucky program and everything to do with Calipari's singularly cavalier approach to the game and to his competition.
  5. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

He is one arrogant guy no doubt. To say that he thinks highly of himself would be an understatement.
  6. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

If Donovan asks his players what it's like to lose in the first round of the NIT, they don't know.
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

He ended up throwing us into the same conversation as UNC and Louisville. In my view, this is not disrespectful to Florida basketball at all, but instead a monument to the idea of "Kentucky exceptionalism" (patent pending). And this is his job, to pump up his fan base. Meyer calls Florida football the "top of the mountain", because (1) he probably sort of believes this, but more importantly (2) it better be, if you are the coach. Same for UK bball.

But to respond to his point literally, I highly doubt that our players have the dates of the Kentucky games committed to memory at this point. I know that I don't, but I certainly look forward to them. And his kids better be looking forward to us as well.
    regurgigator likes this.
  8. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Actually what Calipari was saying is my guys are so young, they don't know when we play UF, when we play UNC, when we play UL or even if there is a team meal tonight. So it was not so much bulletin board material as his pointing out how young his team is again this year.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Minus your typical overreaches/inaccurate statements, I agree.

1 - I don't think he meant it as a shot to any particular school. If anything, I think its a statement on who he sees as the most prominent teams on the schedule.

2 - I think the statement is true.

3 - I DO agree this makes him look arrogant (most likely because, in many respects, he is). This kind of statement would give me reason not to like Cal were he at another (especially a rival) program. I like humble. This is the opposite. IMO, however, its the kind of thing most fans will embrace if its coming from their sideline. Honest question, is this kind of brashness similar to what you guys remember of Spurrier? I didn't really follow college football at that time, but from what I've heard and seen since from him, I don't see how Cal is quite as inflammatory. Tell me if I'm wrong.
  10. Donnell

Donnell Moderator

I bet they know when Robert Morris plays!
  11. ugaGator

ugaGator Well-Known Member

+1 well played!
  12. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

You think the statement is true? That Kentucky doesn't get up for any opponent but everyone, including other top tier programs get up for Kentucky, specifically because they wished they were at Kentucky? Wow. I'm really glad we've all been scolded to be nice to you poor Kentucky fans that take so much unnecessary criticism...

Oh, and what was rserina inaccurate about? Was Calipari a success in the NBA? Did he not leave both UMass and Memphis with vacated Final Fours?
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Plus your pathetic trolling of these boards trying to exonerate the slime ball of a coach you mortgaged your program for because Donovan kept beating your asses.

Almost basketball season: time to put REM on ignore since all he ever does is try to be incendiary.

Right, AKA; would be so sorry to see him go.
    gatordavisl likes this.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Inaccurate for REM means anything I post. He has been responding to my posts like that for several years. Really pathetic stalking, but fanaticism knows no bounds.
  15. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

What an enormously arrogant egotistical a--hole!!
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

I think the gist of his statement is true. I don't think players get up for Kentucky because they weren't offered scholarships (although I'm sure it happens at times - for other schools as well).

Cal has always said that UK is "everybody's superbowl." I've pretty much agreed with that. If we looked at SEC road attendance alone, I don't doubt that this would show (even minus UK fans present). I think its true that UK players don't know the date (if asked) of any single opponent - for the most part at least. Another factor that creates this is that most of the players were in high school last year and don't develop the same degree of rival-awareness as upperclassmen might. Doesn't mean I think Cal should have said this. For the record, I've actually seen the same take (agreement with Cal) offered up by a Florida fan on this same topic.

Rserina is wrong about Cal (inaccurate) by stating that Cal "brought on" sanctions. This simply isn't the truth. I wouldn't content that Cal was successful in the NBA.

My statements, incendiary? Good grief. I'm really just honored I got taken off ignore in the first place. Must have been doing something right!
  17. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

Obviously, everyone knows when they play UK. The part I take issue with is Cal saying that his guys don't know when they play these other big games. If you want to play dumb and act like he was literally just saying they don't know they date, then I would bet our guys don't know the exact date of the UK game either. Also, when he says "they wanted your scholarship", he's really being arrogant. Like Kasey Hill went to Florida because he didn't get offered by UK, or Chris Walker or Bradley Beal or Andrew Wiggins. Bottom line is, Cal is quite the pompous ass for someone coming off a one and done in the NIT.

Also, I'm so sick of this argument that Cal didn't bring on the sanctions. Just because the players were ultimately deemed the responsible parties does not absolve Calipari of any wrongdoing. He is the head coach, he is responsible for the player's actions, same as Billy Donovan was responsible for Teddy Dupay's gambling, Erik Murphy breaking into a car, Scottie Wilbekin's multiple issues, etc.
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

You do realize I'm actually not disagreeing with your "bottom line," right? Thats what makes the attack of my post so puzzling from my perspective. By saying I agreed with the quotes (okay, I should have said the general idea behind them), I'm in no way defending what he said. I agree it comes off poorly. It wasn't miscommunication. It was purposeful like most of Cal's statements - which, yes, does say something about Cal's personality.

I'm not trying to say anyone should take Cal's quote differently than they did. Other than one poster's typical schtick, I'm not even defending him!
  19. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Come on. 33Hoop isn't that bad. :)
  20. Colin

Colin Active Member

UK's football team sure seems like it never knows who it is playing.