Calipari revealed what The Tweak™ was

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Jonas, Apr 16, 2014.

1. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +687
    He showed him Deron Williams because of his height and his body type. I have said for over a year that Calipari is growing tired of having to rebuild every year...hell it's trying on me too. We have kids coming back this year..now if the NBA will get the rule changed!!

Jeff
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Defending and being defensive aren't always the same. Posts in this thread connected the "tweak" with its implication that Cal can't coach. If you can't see how pointing out his accomplishments is an effective counter to this notion, then I cant' do anything to help you understand.
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,147
    Just to play devil's advocate: other than your post, there is little to no basketball analysis on this thread. I'm no UK supporter and I can't stand Cal, but it's a little ironic that we're trashing him and this "tweak" when they made a great run, ending in the NC game. To be clear, I'm also not backing REM on this thread; merely challenging the notion that our fans are providing much in line of analytical basketball discussion here. Call it what it is: a Cal hate-fest.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    That's fair. But if I were a rival fan (mind you, I have only once or twice ever visited a rival board, let alone posted there--CatsPause, sad to say, is one of them), I would do my best to present an objective, reasonable account of how Donovan approaches the game, what he runs, how that has looked in the past, how that matches current talent, etc.

And it isn't just this thread, either. Whenever someone posts anything negative about Calipari or Kentucky, even if it is substantiated well, that dude starts making caustic, saracastic comments about the poster or this board.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,147
    Good response, rserina. I'm with you on this. REM has mentioned his profession a few times, so I'm certain he's not a kid, but I won't dig into that. Back to the "twerk!"
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  6. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I thought it was funny that he picked a point guard who isn't a good point guard. He doesn't play hard. He takes lazy shots, doesn't try on defense, etc. It's funny that anyone ever thought he was a better PG than Chris Paul.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    I wouldn't say he isn't a good point guard, but his game definitely has not developed as some expected. He is unbelievably athletic, may be the most physical point guard in the game, and has great vision and hands, but he is still too inconsistent. I assumed Pierce/Garnett would bring out the best in him the way they did with Rondo. I guess they have to a degree (in terms of turning their season around), but it sure hasn't been reflected in the boxes.
  8. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    He may be physical - I couldn't find a PG that weights more - but if he has a lot of athleticism, he doesn't show it. He doesn't get off the floor much unlike say Westbrook and to a lesser extent Rose.

With all those tools he has, he should have been more. That's why Utah traded him, though.
  9. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +687
    Whatever Calipari did it worked. He will be even better next year as well. It is going to be fun having so many come back.

Jeff
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Jeff - I'm guessing here of course but I don't think KY's remarkable tournament run was so much a coaching
    "tweak" as it was the kids were challenged to play hard and they did. Perhaps the one and done scenario also created a sense of urgency that helped as well. Be as it may it was a good run.

As far as next year, if no one but Young leaves I would think Big Blue would be a little more cautious
    about expectations for next year given the "40-0" marketing disaster that wasn't. Not to say there are not plenty of reasons to be optimistic because there certainly are.

REMO8 - I certainly have noticed a change of posting pattern from you. You go to extraordinary lengths lately to defend any and all criticism of CAL on a Gator Board. While this would be understandable on a KY board this is a Gator Board. Your well documented foray into the KY boards to question Billy's ethics and SW career did not exactly endear you here although to your credit you did stand up and responded in your usual erudite fashion.

I'm just puzzled that you want to continue to argue on a GATOR BOARD, ad nausea-um I might add, about the virtues of Calipari and how he is no less than equal and in many respects better than Billy D. You insist to take that on despite the fact most of the people on this board, including myself, have repeatedly told you that we prefer our guy over yours.

Now you have the right to post anything you want within the rules of the board. Your arguments are well thought out well researched and convincing, undoubtedly convincing, under the umbrella of the Big Blue nation, but this is not the BBN.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +687
    Gatorhead.....who knows what made it work..perhaps the light came on..maybe they started listening..but it was a great run bit it doesn't fix the fact we had a rocky run of a season. More is leaving than Young...I would be pissed if Randle stays.

Jeff
  12. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +863
    good run, but lucky run. Fall away 3's at the buzzer isn't solid play calling or coaching.
  13. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +687
    The tourney is all about luck and match ups........I didn't think he was falling away on his shots ...who knows I was yelling shoot it and not paying attention!

Jeff
  14. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +371
    UK played below their abilities, even in the tourney, that many NBA players should win, Young is amazing, Randle a stud, Lee, a bench warmer, is as good as any of our starters, Willie Cauley Stien, Poythress, and both Harrisons and you should win, Cal sux
  15. jmoliver

jmoliver Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    It took the greatest coach in the history of basketball 95% of the season to get the greatest point guard in college basketball to actually pass the ball.
  16. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    Just based on watching the UK NCAA games, I would attribute the increased assists by Harrison to the other UK players better shooting. The UK run in the tournament was amazing considereing the difficulty of the schedule, but in every game but the 1st one, UK was 1 correctly called offensive foul away from a loss. Andrew Harrison and Julius Randle should have fouled out in the 1st half of every game. Additionally, Dakari Johnson pretty much commits some sort of violation every time he touches the ball. Kudos to Aaron Harrison for bailing out Calipari's butt in practically every game.
  17. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    His assist raising was from the ollie oops they threw down. I think he toyed with the media completely here. The real change I saw from UK was the relentless pressure at the basket on offense. They drove and crashed all game long. He got more assist because instead of shooting outside, he drove. Offers kick out opportunities and he could lob it and the bigs threw it down. The sad thing is, it took him a full season to realize he had superior size and athletes than anyone in college and this would be better than spreading the floor, feeding Randle, then having him kick back out to have his massive guards shooting when they were not all that great at it. Dude is a great recruiter, but I doubt his game planning capability honestly.