Calathes in the NBA next year?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by your_perfect_enemy, Jun 27, 2013.

1. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Again, the article states Calathes came in for a work out and while it stated there was some interest from Dallas, there was no commitment for even a try out with the Mavs summer league team.

Calathes was a marginal, at best, NBA prospect when he left UF and he is the same several years later. Hopefully, Dallas or some other team gives Nick a shot but he would be a long shot to make a NBA roster.
  2. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +242
    The Mavs hold Nick's rights, he told them he is ready to give the NBA a shot, he is still under contract in Russia, if the Mavs want Nick they will have to buy out his contact, if not, they could release his rights and he would be a free agent or they could trade his rights to someone else, regardless, whoever takes him will have to negotiate a buyout with the Russian team-
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    I don't know about "marginal". He left after only two years, and he was drafted despite telling everyone he was going to Europe. Sounds like scouts had some interest.
  4. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    maybe he has small hands and can't palm the ball to dunk with 1 hand
  5. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    Pretty sure GatorRade's link is a one handed dunk.
  6. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    The Mavs will need to trade his rights if he is going to play this year.
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,522
    Those were some weird Gator squads to watch for exactly this reason.
  8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
  9. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Never thought the Mavs seemed that interested in him. I wish Nick the best but think his present and future are overseas. I said that he was the one more likely to play overseas and Chandler in the nba because of their ceilings when they were freshmen and people thought I was crazy. Nick is as un-athletic as you get for a professional athlete and that just doesn't fly in the nba these days. And whoever said JKidd was not athletic is crazy!!!
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    IMO, Nick will play in the NBA for several years.
  11. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Hope you're right as it just adds to the program having more guys in the league! Guess we will see!
  12. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    The Mavs roster, due to clearing cap space to attract Dwight Howard and other FA's, have about a thin a roster right now as any team in the league. Along with the fact the team signed a FA guard and drafted Shane Larkin in the first round last week, shows the Mavs had very little interest in Calathes.

Calathes simply isn't an NBA player and his best bet is to continue to play overseas.
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    If the Mavs are trading his rights it must mean that some team is interested. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I know that there are a lot of GC haters out there with Nick, but he does have a great "O" skill set. That might be enough with his size in the NBA. People pay to see scoring, not D. The league is all about the $.
  14. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    I love all the people who say Calathes "isn't an NBA player". Based off what? He has thrived in Europe including winning defensive awards and MVP awards. THere is no reason he can't be successful in the NBA. All-Star player? Absolutely not, but in a league that employs players like James Jones, Brian Scalabrine, Jose Calderon, Steve Blake, etc, etc their is a place for Nick Calathes.
  15. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Alas his long time friend Chandler Parsons made an off hand funny comment about Calathes' ability to jump over a phone book when they were at UF and some UF fans decided it was a scouting report. Well of course Calathes is not as athletic as Parsons, but then again few players even in the NBA are.

Calathes was generally a better player than Parsons when they played together. I see no reason why if like Parsons, Calathes gets in a situation where he is a good fit in the NBA Calathes can not be successful. Calathes will have to use his size to help him defensively and he will have to figure out ways to get his shot off, but that is what moving up to the highest level is for everyone.
  16. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    Calathes' and Parson's respective playing ability years ago means nothing as it relates to the NBA. I can't believe you're even citing it. Sure, Calathes may very well have a spot in the NBA but to hang it on the fact that he was a better player than Parsons when the two were still developing is nonsensical.
  17. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    You are right, why would an NBA team look at how someone did in college or high school or in Europe to decide who to draft. It is completely nonsensical to think that an NBA team would do anything more than just take measurements randomly pick tall/fast guys.

BTW, I just mentioned that Calathes was better than Parsons when the played together. I did not say it was determinant. As I said, Parsons happened to get drafted in a really good spot for him. He might have been picked by someone who would not have given him much of a shot. Calathes too is that type of player. He needs to get in the right spot to have success in the NBA.
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    How many times did Isiah Thomas dunk?

He may be a total dud as a general manager, but he was a HOF PG before that.
  19. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I wish Nick well. He clearly wasn't ready for the NBA when he left UF, but it's also clear he's continued to improve overseas. He might carve out a niche as a gifted passing PG. Who knows, maybe he's improved his defensive play too.