Buying American is unAmerican

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Oct 12, 2013.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    Interesting logic:

link
    • Like Like x 1
  2. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,695
    it's just crazy, isn't it?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    I suppose he thinks Wal-Mart is buying American as a "sacrifice" instead of a calculated effort at securing long-term gains. Nevermind that if indeed it were a sacrifice, then good for them for essentially sharing the pie with more American companies. But of course it's not Wal-Mart giving up profit. Maybe short term, but their internal research undoubtedly says that doing this is in their overall financial best interest.

It's kind of unAmerican to call just about any legal action made on one's own volition unAmerican, isn't it? Wait, did I just make myself unAmerican??
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,981
    Jonathan Hoenig is wrong on this. I buy American as often as I can. I can't see buying an Iphone, but I bought Motorola instead... both are American. Screw Samsung!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,523
    guy is nutso
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,756
    I am with the woman. i couldn't care less if it was made in America. I want the the best value for my dollar.
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,223
    All "buying American" gets us is more General Motors type failures. It creates inefficiency and added cost, and when push comes to shove they die a big death instead of a small one anyway (or we bail them out).
    It makes us less competitive.
  8. umcpgator

umcpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
  9. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Google's new motorola phone is pretty American. Made in Texas and designed in the US. Can't say that about the other smart phones. At least one of the two is outside of the US.

Anyway, clearly what he's trying to say is that American corporations should not be questioned when they trounce upon the American middle class and outsource all their jobs. Our right to free speech and to say we should buy American are null and void in the face of our corporate masters.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    The side benefit of buying American is jobs here, so they can buy also. The guy in China with that job that could have been here, most likely won't be eating at the local diner.

I wear New Balance, some models totally built in America.

My jumper cables, made in America and made right.

Cost is not just the low price now, but in how long the product lasts also.

Had a can opener made in China and was using it to open a big can of dog food and the opener broke. Went to the store and grabbed the cheap opener and stopped when I saw it was the same one I just broke. The piece between the crank and the cutter blade was plastic and that was what I snapped.

So I put it back, got the all steel made in America opener, and it still works fine, twenty years later... It cost me an extra two bucks back then.

America makes some great products still with many at the top of their field. But some people will always need thirty or so plastic made in China toys, in their front yard.
  11. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    I know it's media matter reporting this but it's still him. Retarded argument, everyone will and has always will buy what makes their dollar go further.
  12. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,917
    All things being equal, buying "American" is smart. But unfortunately not a level playing field right now. Our costs are too high to compete with Asia. What is ominous is that Japan seems to be out of the manufacturing business, China and Korea seem to be the only place to get cheap labor.

And to me the biggest problem with buying "American" is that what we think of American is pretty much out of date. This is NOT your father's auto makers. The only thing American is the names on the executive board. The rest are manufactured parts from all over the world. And when you consider that many of the other world cars are manufactured here, how is that a bad thing? Other than breaking the unions the economic impacts are just the same.
  13. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,371
    It's the corner we've painted ourselves into. If we buy too much American, China can threaten to call us on our debt. So if by "patriotic" you mean keeping this shell game going a little longer, yes.
  14. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    If you buy windows for your home, some of the best are made here in this state with the need for high wind tolerance.

You can now buy a wool sweater and know which farm the wool came from in North Carolina.

Cotton grown at home, jeans made here, and you add jobs and taxpayers.

We do compete on many levels. No Chinese substitute for Kentucky Bourbon. Easy to stop drinking anything Russian just by drinking local whiskey.

Adding sales = added jobs = taxpayers. Lots of good things from buying our own stuff.
  15. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    All true