Bryant Young's Resignation

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by SirRaj, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    I'd much rather have another coach w/ great South Florida contacts than any of those areas listed.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    T Rob is 31 from Miami and just pulled Dalvin Cook from South Florida I would just let him continue to have that area by himself as the point man.
  3. jms

jms VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    A big stud that played in the NFL and could relate... Hmmmmm? Hopefully we can find another
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +772
    We got another coach from Idaho. We're going to totally rule football recruiting in the upper Great Plains.
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    Not too pleased Strange? Durkin took over the midwest recruits
  6. rsanner

rsanner Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Just watched an interview with Choate while at Boise. He recruited Northern California and Texas while there.
  7. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +293
    As for the Choate hire... as detailed oriented as Muschamp is... I am SURE that he has looked this one over verrrry deeply.
    There are those situations, however that any leader in a business cannot forsee when someone is gonna leave as in the case of Bryant.

To me, it is very obvious now that the main reason that Lawling was hired away from South Carolina was to fill Bryant's shoes.

I believe that we are in very good hands with our present staff and that will become VERY evident this season in our on the field performance.
    If one looks at Meyer's last year here and compare that to what Muschamp did last year... it is obvious. We have a much more BALANCED team with players that fit into the style that Muschamp wants. Louisville was a fluke situation.

But Meyer's last season here was a pure train wreck. Been watching Gator and SEC football since 1966. Never seen anything like that before.
    And I was there when we went 0-10-1 with that lone tie to Georgia Tech.
    As frustrating as that was... Meyer's last season here was more preplexing.
  8. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +772
    I think that Lawling was probably an upgrade to Young as far as a recruiter and someone who was more prepared to be a DC. Never considered the possibility that he was hired to replace both Quinn and Young. No issues with the Choate hire. Sounds we filled a niche position with a high caliber coach. He also sounds like a very personable guy, but we certainly didn't open up any new recruiting territory. He'll have to create his own turn, based on his personality and whatever turf is available with Quinn and Young gone.

Whoever thought Young was being forced out to find a better recruiter with better connections might be mistaken. I don't see us suddenly blazing a trail through northern California.
  9. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    I don't know if young was recruiting him but I just saw where Gaillard just eliminated us from his list of schools, right after he named us his leader. What's up with that.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,668
    I agree that this wasn't an intentional upgrade by Muschamp. Not by a mile. But it isn't like we are hurting on the recruiting trail. Between Choate, Davis, and White, you have three guys who can hit California as needed. We obviously have Florida blanketed, two guys can hit the Carolinas (Lawing, Durkin), Phillips in Georgia, etc. That is perfectly sufficient.
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +772
    Just joking. You don't have to know a geographic area to become a great recruiter. The guy seems to have the kind of personality to sell the program. I don't think this hire had much to do with recruiting anyway. Choate is an outstanding ST coach and I like the idea of Durkin spending more of his time with the LBs.

My only issue with Young leaving was whether or not he was forced out or this really was a personal decision. Either way, I trusted Muschamp to make a good choice replacing him. This is looking more and more like re-organization effort on the heels of hiring a new DC. Young was expendable because the new DC wants to be a very hands-on D-line coach. It's just a shame to lose such a well known and well respected individual from our staff.
  12. 32250Gator

32250Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +123
    I think Bryant Young will end up with Quinn at Seattle, or with another NFL team very soon. IMO his exit has been planned since Quinn left, the timing was set for after spring to have minimal effect on recruiting & not create bad publicity by leaving a few days after 2013 NSD. Had he announced this at the same time as Quinn, no doubt we would have lost a player or two from the 2013 class. Had he quit a few days after NSD, it would have looked like another coach who made promises to recruits, then screwed them after they signed their letter of intent. The timing of his resignation was handled perfectly from a public & player relations standpoint.
  13. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +772
    That's odd. I was thinking that Gaillard became interested in UF when we hired Lawing. We had both Durkin and Lawing working him. He probably just met Young on his visit.
  14. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +772
    Brown and Valentine both just dropped as well. Those were the top three DTs in the country.
  15. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,215
    Over thinking, imhfo. LAWING is one of the very best coaches , defensive line, in the business. He is a pretty fair recruiter, and a million light years above YOUNG in that DEPT., since he did very little. YOUNG is an amazing life story that could hardly be duplicated by anyone on the planet. That is the ONLY minus. Only.
    CHOATE is a superb coach with a huge uptempo style and is known as a terrific recruiter.
    What is all this malarkey implying that we hire coaches so we can reap their immense contacts in a geographical location? It may happen but is number 500 of the top five hundred. Who cares? We have computers, tv and all kinds of neat stuff now to communicate with the recruits. Even phones. BOOM develops the lists with the coaches, and then....the interpersonal contacts ensue.
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    Isn't Gaillard the kid mad we won't offer his friend/teammate?
  17. Gators2015_BB3

Gators2015_BB3 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Correct
  18. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +772
    We already knew Valentine was a little flaky. Don't know what happened with Brown. The DT board isn't looking great now.

The good news is that the two LBs from the SW Chicago burbs still have UF in their top five. Looks like Durkin has taken over the recruitment of those two.
  19. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    Oh really, well we know from last yr with the alexander twins that junk don't fly with our coaches. If you want in great, but they aren't going to waste a schollie on someone just for another player. And we can't afford that this yr especially.
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    not sure how commited Moten is at the minute either. That being said DT isnt a huge need this year. The staff will find 2 good ones. We really need elite DE/BUCK players.