Bryant Young's Resignation

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by SirRaj, Apr 10, 2013.

1. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Next to none IMO and the guy from South Carolina is primed to take the D - line to the next level.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,151
    The problem is that those aren't exactly desirable regions for football prospects. Basketball? Sure. But not football. With all the talent in Florida and throughout the southeast, dropping the upper midwest is hardly damaging. If Young's replacement can bring something else into play (northeast, Cali, Texas, Tidewater, et al), then it is probably an upgrade.
  3. g0ggles

g0ggles Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I live in SE Virginia currently. A lot of talent here, so I would definitely like a bigger Gator presence in this state.
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Right now we do well in North Carolina (Durkin and Lawing some Pease) south Georgia (white & Philips) and starting to make some noise in Louisiana (Lewis).

It would be nice to get somebody to that can really recruit Atlanta or the DC/Virginia area hard. It seems like in the past when we had to recruit Atlanta Muschamp had to be heavily involved because he had the best connections there. That might have changed now that Joker is on the staff.
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,621
    I'm partial to the northeast IL region for obvious reasons, but there is serious talent up here. The south side and SW burbs have turned out LB and DL year in, year out since Butkus. The region that surrounds Joliet plays some of the most competitive football in the country (where Morrison played). There's just a fierce mentality ingrained in the defensive players who grow up down there. Even the one kicker we picked up from the south side turned out to be one of our best tacklers.

What was wrong with Young as a coach anyway? Not sure why so many people are celebrating this. We were excited when he arrived and we've had excellent results at the position he coaches. He's the highest profile NFL veteran to coach at UF in my memory and by all accounts was a very high character individual. Shoot, even Notre Dame fans up here were suddenly rooting for the Gators because Bryant was coaching down there.
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I don't think anybody is celebrating coach Young leaving people are just saying it is not some catastrophic loss.

There are better places to have recruiting ties to than IL. I do agree with you about some of the players I love how Parrker Westphal plays I hope he makes it down to Gainesville soon.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,151
    To the first point, yes there are good players in the Chicago area, but in terms of volume it is pretty low and I tend to think recruiting there is more of a luxury. If you have Bryant Young, then hit it. If you don't, then look elsewhere,

To the second point, I am hardly celebrating it. Young was great. But I just don't consider the loss of the upper Midwest as terribly deleterious from a strategic point of view.
  8. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    Right, there's no doubt that there are good players in the Chicago area. And it would be great to have a coach with top-flight connections there.

But it would also be great to have a coach with top-flight connections to Hawaii and Idaho and Canada. You have to have priorities. And for a program in Florida, Chicago or even upper-Midwest connections just can't be a major priority when hiring a coach.
  9. sbcg8r

sbcg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I agree with many of the points being made, but I will ask these questions: there are several players in the Midwest that we are in serious contention for- 2 from Illinois I believe. Wasn't Young in charge of recruiting that area? How does his resignation affect those guys?
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I know its not going to happen but I would love for us to pick up Tee Martin he can recruit and the meltdown by vols fans would be priceless
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,151
    I think it depends upon the player. Durkin and White both have some good connections throughout the area, so maybe they had some role in the first place. Also, if it is defensive lineman like Hendrix expecting Young to be his position coach, then that is probably going to hurt more.
  12. thedyc09

thedyc09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    If the next person doesn't have a ton of connections in one of (1) Atlanta (2) Washington DC (3) Southern California (4) Dallas-Fort Worth (5) Ohio then I will be sorely disappointed.
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    not sure we can win many battles in the 3 I put in bold seems like a waste of time unless they have big time initial interest
  14. trustamerica

trustamerica Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Ronald Powell!
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    The Illinois players we are recruiting -

Clifton Garrett LB-visiting Bama and lSU this weekend I still think we will get a visit out of him

Jamarco Jones OT- Tim Davis was a big part of his recruitment said he was going to visit in the spring and didnt

Nyles Morgan LB - visitng A &M and Ole Miss we should be able to get a visit if we pursue him hard

Parrker Westphal CB - will visit Florida in mid may

Dewayne Hendrix DE- dont know

Our staff uses multiple people to recruit and it seems as though this might have been in the works for awhile so we should be fine.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I would put him in the category of showing big initial interest if I remember correctly. Coach White also has some nice connections in Cali.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Maybe Muschamp will give Joe Robinson a look he coaches special teams at South Carolina and recruits the Carolinas and Georgia. Don't think I have heard of him as a big time recruiter but thee position fits and he work with Lawing before so there is a connection.
  18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,621
    Long term, no, but we are/were on the short list of two outstanding LBs and one OL for the coming cycle.
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    It seems like Davis does almost all of are OL recruiting no matter where they are located
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,151
    Brian White was the lead guy on the recruitment of Powell, Shaw, the receiver who went to Oklahoma, and others in California. He recruited the state at Wisconsin, I believe. Davis is a Cali guy and he has a ton of connections there, too.

With Joker Phillips in Atlanta, I still think the Tidewater area is one we could stand to gain from. We got Harvin out of there. ACC is pretty terrible right now, so you don't have a ton of competition from them. UGA for whatever reason doesn't seem to hit it hard. Lots of good players with little local competition.