Brissett is starter for next two seasons

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,689
    I was gonna say whatever he's on I want but I think I'd rather take the stuff that makes you eat dogs.....
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. chunks1

chunks1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    Go with the the stuff that makes you eat dogs, he is on the garnet and gold ruffies.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,072
    This... Plus I think the quick tempo style that Roper employs will actually teach Jeff quick reads as well. Because practicing a fast paced, go, go, go all the time will make Jeff quicker in all phases of his game. That up-tempo style will teach Jeff a quick mindset/reads that translate well in games... You play like you practice. That, and the O-line won't have to block the defense as long so the threat of a sack or fumble is less likely to happen as often.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,606
    Sorry, but this is patently ridiculous. Murphy's best three games came against Tennessee, Kentucky, and Arkansas.

Driskel put up better numbers in 2012 against Tennessee and Kentucky; and the best game for Driskel (Vandy, 2012...254 total yards and 3 rushing TDs) is a wash with Murphy's best performance (Arkansas, 2013...255 total yards and 3 passing TDs)...though I think most people would agree that Vandy on the road is a much better win.

This isn't meant to disparage Murphy: he was a good QB and probably should have deserved a better look. But he struggled against LSU's defense just as much as Driskel did the year before (he wasn't injured until late in the 4th quarter and didn't do much before then). Clearly, both QBs struggled with our non-existent OL against better teams.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Gators Fan Advocate VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,184
    My thoughts exactly.
  6. dawny

dawny Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +129
    I was at the Orange and Blue game , Brissett did not get the same amount of snaps, do believe his lites were always on, still dont know if Driskel can checkoff ,read defenses, and be the Commander, he has the arm and used to run like a deer, I think Grier is very intelligent on playing QB like Shane or Danny, but only time will tell if our HC will play the best QB and let Roper pick his talent,go Gators.
  7. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,220
    Driskel doesn't get enough credit for that 2012 game against FSU. Remember that game?

I'm constantly amazed how easy it is for Gator fans to disparage Jeff. Not critique him (he's clearly earned the critique) but he was 15 of 23 for 147 in that game with 1 TD and 0 interceptions (think, for just a minute, about our WRs versus their secondary, okay?). And that TD was a fourth quarter TD against a very good defense at their place, a score that essentially put the game away and made it 30-20.

I'm sorry, but that's a damn good performance. Not an okay performance, or a yeah it'll pass in a rush performance -- a damn good performance. The coordinator of that FSU defense earned a head coaching job and they put a bunch of players into the NFL draft that year. And never forget, they only get off that bogus horse with that bogus Injun and plant that bogus spear into that Panhandle dirt for one team -- just one; the Mighty Gators, baby.

Give Jeff some credit here.

For whatever reason, the sum of our parts on offense didn't ever quite click with the prior coordinator. Part of that certainly appeared to be Jeff's fault. But his evident talent is phenomenal, and if he clicks in this offense better than the last one I'm going to be one very happy Gator and there are going to be a bunch of sad Noles around this town come the end of November once again.

Jeff Driskel. Nole Killa. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

As for our incoming QBs -- Treon Harris may be the next coming of Russell Wilson. He's underestimated, bigtime. Will Grier better be ready. That Harris kid will not be moved to wide receiver, and the Nole trolls on this board know it.

Speaking of Noles, I don't believe FSU or Miami has ever won a national championship with a QB from the State of Florida (could be on wrong on that, but I don't think so) and the smack-delivering pleasure it would give me to have a kid from Booker T. Washington High School in Miami F.L.A. lead us to a championship is off-the-charts. We've had a kid from Big Duval lead us to a title, maybe it's time for Big Dade to deliver.

Go Gators !!!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    He will have coaching so I'm sure he will be fine. I really don't think our QBs have had much coaching the last few years, or the entire offense for that matter.

I'm sure Driskel will look much better next season as well assuming we've now got the staff to coach the offensive part of the game.
  9. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,098
    And he was playing with a sprained ankle
  10. Swampgenie

Swampgenie Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
  11. Swampgenie

Swampgenie Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Jeff Driskel ain't a pocket passer. He's a big, fast spread QB with a great arm. Muschamp and Pease misused him and it made us sick. Us, are those Gator fans who watched him played in high school. 6-3 235 with outstanding escapability and speed. We are hoping Mr. Roper doesn't follow the same path Boom and Pease took.
  12. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    You were on point until you said Brissett was a more powerful runner than Driskel.
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    One of NC State's QBs from last year has transferred so not a whole lot of competition. JB was my choice to be UF s QB, but that ship has sailed. All the best to him.
    Just hope JD figures it out or someone else steps up for the Gators. Its been a long time since we have had consistent winning qb play.
  14. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,689
    Hmmmm.......but only time will tell if our HC will play the best QB? Because he's been playing the wrong one? Wouldn't you think Pease would've said something him being the OC and all?
  15. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,689
    Same path? What path is that and what were they able to do that would've been so different with the players we had available? Was Pease even knowledgeable enough to run what Driskel would be good at? I think Roper has the knowledge and experience to shift on the fly but he'll have more players at his disposal hopefully and more experience as well.
  16. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    I really believe that the coaches went with JD over JB due to his mobility knowing we would struggle on the offensive line. Then they put him in an offense that didn't take advantage of his strengths and was more suitable to JB's strengths. The thing I am most excited about with Roper is his ability to evaluate the talent he has at QB and scheme the offense around their strengths.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +713
    Great info, thanks for posting.

I think most that just watched the games objectively would see that Driskel was below average and Murphy was an upgrade but great to see it through stats.
  18. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,126
    Now NC State's QB Pete Thomas is transferring....he'll graduate in May and be eligible to play his senior year somewhere else....

http://espn.go.com/college-football...wolfpack-qb-pete-thomas-transfer-final-season