Brissett is starter for next two seasons

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Feb 7, 2014.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,736
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,559
    The other nc state qbs must be turrible
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,072
    He should've stayed if he thought he was better. You'll never convince me the staff couldn't recognize it. Wish him luck but I like a fighter!
    • Like Like x 4
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,440
    I really don't think evaluation of QB play has been a forte here for the past few years, and transfers have been related to that issue.

Not sure how Brissett and Driskel would have felt sitting behind Murph, but IMO, that's what should have been happening seeing how all three of them played in games.

Of course, they probably all would have had shots to play anyway, because all of our QBs have gotten hurt behind our OL. A better offense and better QB play is dependent on us getting that cleaned up, no matter who we have taking snaps.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    Already named a 2 year starter? Was he paid to transfer there?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,559
    No but his dad's church was
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,072
    I'll agree that the coaching hasn't been there for developing them but we'll just have to disagree on who was/is better. Yes Driskel has his issues in the pocket, and hopefully Roper can correct that, but when he's on he's better then the other two IMO. Murphy doesn't have the arm and isn't accurate enough IMO. Yes the % are close but he benefited from a lot of short passes and even then a lot were off the mark.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,440
    I'm not even trying to get into how well these guys were or weren't prepared to play, but as the starter, Driskel was the guy getting the majority of practice snaps and getting to practice with first team players. Just based on that alone, he should play better.

Anyway, here's what JD did his first two games:
    Toledo - 17/22 for 153 yds, 1 TD. 19 yds rushing, 1 fumble lost.
    Miami - 22/33 for 291 yds, 1 TD, 2 picks. 19 yds rushing 1 TD, 1 fumble lost.

39/55 (71%) for 444 yds (8.1 ypa), 2 TDs, 2 picks. 38 yds rushing, 1 TD, 2 fumbles lost.
    Team scored 20 ppg in those two games.

Here's what Murph did prior to injury:
    Vols... 8/14 for 134 yds, 1 TD. 84 yd rushing, 1 TD.
    UK... 15/18 for 156 yds, 1 TD, 1 pick. 36 yd rushing, 1 TD.
    Arky... 16/22 for 240yds, 3 TD. 15 yd rushing.

39/54 (72%) for 530 yds (9.8 ypa), 5 TDs and 1 pick throwing, plus another 135 yds and 2 TDs on the ground.
    Team scored 28.3 ppg in those 3 games.

Completion percentage was almost identical. Murph threw for 1.7 yds more per attempt. His scoring to turnover ratio was 7:1, while Driskel's was 3:4. And the team scored 8 more ppg.

There really isn't any comparison between their performances statistically. Murph's was far, far better. But just watching the offense play ball with more confidence and more effectively in the red zone was something that was palpable to me, watching them play.

Murph injured his throwing shoulder in the LSU game and his accuracy was way down the rest of his playing time.

The rest of the way he went 73/131 (55%) for 686 yds (5.2 ypa), 7 TDs and 4 picks.

So he went from 72% completion percentage and 9.8 ypa, down to 55% completion percentage and 5.2 ypa, after his injury. The level of competition certainly could have also factored in, but when your throwing shoulder is hurt, you expect the accuracy to go down, and the defense to squeeze the offense because they're not worried about you making accurate throws down field.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    Jeff did not start off on the right note due to the appendectomy.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    Driskel - All of the tools in the toolbox, but... makes too many bad decisions under pressure. He has never shown himself to be a true field general, and that's what you have to be to win championships. Hopefully he's grown a lot and will emerge more confidently this year.
    Brissett - Didn't seem to throw as well as Driskel, but was a more powerful runner. Tended to tuck and run too quickly. Time will tell if he can be the leader at N.C. State.
    Murphy - Best runner of the three, but the worst arm. However, he also had the best on-field leadership. It would have been interesting to see him in a better offensive set. He looks like a good fit for Addazio and Boston College.
    Mornhinweg - Great heart, but simply not enough tools. And not enough leadership demonstrated when he got the shot. Good kid, but he'll be signalling in plays from now on.
    Grier - Total speculation, because high school game film is hard to judge, especially because he didn't play a host of teams with college-level talent. He seems to have a strong arm, and his strengths are reported to include accuracy and on-field leadership. Enrolling early will help, especially if he's to be counted on for playing time or even backing up Driskel. We should know a lot more after the O&B.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,072
    Those stats are skewed Oak. You have to compare the type of passes Jeff was throwing and what Tyler was throwing. A lot of short dump offs will muddy statistics real quick. Also another thing to take into account was Taylor starting or at least playing more. A good effective running back can help tremendously. Also Murphy being second string would've gotten enough snaps in practice as well so I can't buy that. Not to mention they simplified the offense when Murphy took overt as well. I'm not saying Murphy isn't a decent QB, but you cannot compare both bodies of work by just comparing stats. I'm also not saying Jeff is the answer, but comparing everything, I'd take Jeff over Tyler.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,072
    I'd agree with this. That's why I personally believe Jeff will be better this year with Roper here. I think his pocket awareness and trying to force things can actually be a simple fix with the right coaching.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    Not sure I agree, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Driskel just has never looked like "the man" to me, and Tyler seemed more driven when he got into the game. Maybe Jeff can figure out the leadership angle, and that might be an area where Roper really pays off. Let's hope so.

(And it seems we agree there!)
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,072
    No I'd agree from a leadership stance Murphy seemed further along.
  15. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    Only moron coaches declare a starter for the next two years.
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    read the article and see the stats on the QB's he's starting over, very average competition. Not a hater, but I just question how good he'll be. The NC St coach had a running QB offense at the previous school he was at, think he tried it with the guys he had on the NC St roster, apparently he's changing to more of a drop back O. If he isn't more successful he'll be gone in two more years (that'll be his fourth year at NC St). Sure, would have loved to have Jacoby when Jeff went down last year, but still think we would have had a 100 sacks the previous year if he would have been getting all the snaps over Jeff. The Oline WILL be the deciding factor on how these coaches keep their jobs. Even Peace's offense would have been quasi-successful the last two years with a better o-line.
  17. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    It's really a shame that Driskel got hurt and couldn't play against the 3 worst defenses in the SEC as Murphy did.
  18. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Good for him! He left us in the lurch, so I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Brissett. I do hope everything works out for him….which means I hope they go 7-5!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,440
    Not sure how to factor that, but that could well be.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I just never saw anything out of Brissett that screamed "obviously better than Driskel" by any stretch.
    • Agree Agree x 2