#BringBackOur...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MichiGator2002, May 13, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,721
  2. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    #totallycorruptadministration
  3. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +755
    AzCatFan- well maybe you don't consider 0bama your "god", but maybe he is your "hero" or mentor. He is a failed man who is the leader of this country.

Irrespective of his politics, 5+ years of him has proven without a doubt that it was a huge mistake to elect him and re-elect him. A community organizer, with no foreign policy experience, no business experience (except a questionable deal with a crook), no leadership experience (unless you call voting present leadership), no ability to manage large endeavors, but with a clear vision to fundamentally "change" America.

Well that change, abroad, has resulted in our country losing its influence in many parts of the world and created divide between us and our biggest allies (Israel and England).

As far as my "rants" against obama. Yes. But then I guess if we were taken back in time you would have accused me of ranting against King George in 1775, ranting against Adolph Hitler in 1934, ranting against Fidel Castro in 1961, ranting against LBJ in 1967 and ranting against Nixon in 1973.

Ranting against government leadership that is awful is the American Way !!!
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Obama is my President. Nothing more, nothing less. He wasn't my choice in the primaries in 2008 either. I agree he was too green. But the Bush administration was such an epic failure, the D's nominated a minority ideologue and still won handily. Then the R's nominated an ideologue from the other side and lost 2012. Had the R's nominated someone more in the middle, I would have considered voting for him.

And yes, ranting against the government is a time honored American tradition. But I believe the complaint should have merit. In the case of the kidnapped girls, I've asked what others would do as President or expect out of the First Lady and so far nothing. That's because in this case, Obama and his staff, including Michelle are responding appropriately. So complaining now is nothing more than partisan whining, which accomplishes nothing but make someone sound like a little whiner.
  5. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,290
    I don't have a President, not "my President". I have always found that a troubling formulation. First heard that sort of gamesmanship during Bush and even more now. The United States has a President. Correctly, the federal government of the United States has a chief executive. Ideally, that job would have such an inconsequential effect on the everyday lives of Americans that you could flip the base name recognition people have with their member of the House vs. the President. But regardless, this person is nothing more or less than the senior most bureaucrat of a government body that on paper is never meant to be closer than two degrees from affecting you directly at all.

With all this "my"... best case, it is people turning the President into a hero figure, like "my" team/coach/favorite players. Worst case, it smacks of monarchy; "my king", "my liege", "my President". And neither of those are good.
  6. AzCatFan

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Interesting you picked up on one thing, Michi. I was responding to shelby, who was using phrases like, "your God," or "your hero," and, "your mentor." I responded Obama was simply, "my President," and I could have just as easily said, "Obama is the President" instead of responding with the possessive. Bush was "my President" too, even though I didn't vote for him and disagreed with much of his politics.

For what it's worth, I also remember plenty of "Charlton Heston is My President" bumper stickers during the Clinton years, so it's not like the game of semantics started under Bush. Personally, I think it's silly and whoever holds the office deserves respect that should be given to all Presidents.

Which brings me back to my point. Complain about the job the President is doing when it is warranted. But don't complain just to complain. That's just partisan whining, which accomplishes nothing beneficial. And in the way the Obama administration has handled the Nigerian kidnapping has been appropriate and not worthy of complaint.
  7. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    Cons are hitting new lows with the backlash to #bringbackourgirls. Didn't think they could get any more vile, but there it is.
  8. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +2,290
    See, I think it is pretty vile to paper over our indifference with a reference on twitter. If #GettingBackOurGirls was even remotely on our #radar we would have #ActuallyGoneAndGotThem. Ditto Britain, whose citizens they nominally are. If you are at the wheels of power, where there is power enough to actually make the difference, bleating for someone else, some Other, to take action, is the same as saying you give zero craps but want to be seen as caring.

Back on Earth, we will #NeverSeeMostofThemAgain, because anyone who could have done anything stood around with #ThumbUpCollectiveSphincter, and now most will have been made into #SexSlavesandorChildBrides to other jihadist groups, allies, suppliers -- the ones that converted anyway, the rest probably are going to be raped and murdered.
  9. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    How is that hashtag thing working? See any Nigerian girls being returned?

MichiGator2002 has it 110% correct. What is vile is having all the influence in the world and choosing to do nothing about it. #whatacrockofsh*t
  10. AzCatFan

Ratings Received:
    +622
    What more can be done? If you were President, what would you do? This is my third time asking, and the first two times I either got no response and one admission that we couldn't do any more. We don't know where they are and chances are, the girls are in multiple locations. So what can we do? Invade an entire sovereign nation over a couple hundred girls who's location is unknown? Now doing that would warrant criticism! Until then, we need to keep concentrating on finding them before we can do anything.

Not coincidentally, one major hurdle we had to overcome was getting the Nigerian government to act. Nigerian President Johnathon was reluctant at first to act, which is where the #bringbackourgirls started, and put the pressure, both domestic and international, on the Nigerian government. But I guess we have a bunch of Internet cowboys who think none of this matters, and we should just send in our troops indiscriminately until we find and rescue the girls, right?
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +688
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...begin-release-of-up-to-half-of-the-girls.html

Looks like they are about to return about half of the girls.

This is based partially on the US, EU, Britain, and France using their influence to push for a more aggressive stance from governments in the region and agreeing to provide additional training to soldiers from those government. #follownewsbetterbeforecommentingasifyouhavesomeknowledgeonthetopic.... well that one might be too long #shrug.
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +688
    They are talking about releasing them. Which country would you like to invade in order to get them back, as they are likely being held in several countries. Or would you prefer to invade all of them?

I personally would prefer a system in which the fighting is primarily done by the countries in the region, as we have been pushing for in negotiations, with assistance from Western countries in building up the government's ability to deal with terrorism.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...countries-must-unite-fight-boko-haram-nigeria
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  13. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    It's not about the girls for them. Just a way to attack Obama. And if we had taken military action they'd be attacking Obama for that. Again, it wouldn't matter, because for a lot of these conservatives, the girls are irrelevant.
  14. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    #wakemeupwhenthegirlsarereleased
  15. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +2,290
    #talkischeap

They have "talked about" releasing them for quite a while -- in exchange for releasing some of their fellow savages... er, jihadists... er, people upset at Bush and global warming. So there really is no accomplishment in them talking about anything.
  16. AzCatFan

Ratings Received:
    +622
    #whatisyourplanMichi

I know those attacking Obama's response are using any excuse to attack Obama. I'm just attempting to point this out to them to maybe get them to acknowledge they are whining like a 5-year old. And in this case, it isn't warranted. And whining like a little kid accomplishes nothing but annoying the people who are hearing the whine.
  17. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,721

oh please

where was moochelle and the libs in Hollywood and the LMSM when this bunch burned around 50 young boys in their sleep the middle of April- the libs made it a political item with their hashtag bullchit- no where did they raise this sort of ruckus over the killing-burnig alive killing - of the boys- the hildabeast did not even want boko harem classified as a terrorist group
  18. AzCatFan

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Remember who originated the hashtag movement for the girls. Hint: It wasn't Michelle. But appropriate for a First Lady, she got involved in the social media movement to bring back the girls. Also appropriately, the US has heavily been involved in recon missions to find the girls.

As for Hillary not declaring Boko Haram a terrorist group, we've been over this before. She was ready to declare BH a terrorist group but at the behest of the Nigerian government who believed putting BH on the terrorist group would let them grow quicker, we held off and just put the top 3 individuals on the list. A calculated risk that unfortunately failed, as BH grew anyway to the point where they were put on the list over 6 months ago. But in reality, had BH been put on the terror list, what would that have done to stop Nigerians from kidnapping other Nigerian children?
  19. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,721
  20. AzCatFan

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Yeah, I'm sure. http://www.taylormarsh.com/2014/05/...-designate-boko-haram-terrorist-organization/

In hindsight, which is always 20/20, not putting BH on the terror list was a mistake. But it was an error in tactics that failed. Not an oversite or a serious mistake in judgement, especially since 3 BH leaders were put on the terror list. Still, I question how putting BH on the US terror list was going to stop Nigerian citizens from kidnapping other Nigerian citizens?