#BringBackOur...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MichiGator2002, May 13, 2014.

1. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,976

Uh, no, that would be the administration.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,327
    Failure does hold the eye, 'tis true. It's like a car fire.
  3. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Or more apropos, a train wreck.
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    If the hashtag were the only thing the US were doing, there would be point to this thread. But it's not.

We haven't sent in any special forces yet because we don't know where the girls are. Hence the recon missions!

As far as the hashtag campaign, the point of the campaign isn't to convince Boko Haram to release the girls. But to get the story of the kidnapping out to the world and let everyone know atrocities like this are still happening today. The campaign is to put pressure on the Nigerian and other world governments to take action. The campaign is to also educate our youth in to thinking about worldly matters for a few moments instead of video games and shopping. How many young girls in America follow Mrs. Obama on Twitter have thought about what these girls in Nigeria are going through that wouldn't have ever given this news a second thought had Michele not done anything?

The criticism here is completely misguided. The First Lady has no real power except to influence both her husband and the people of the US. I think participating in the bringbackourgirls hashtag campaign is a great use of said power. And again, it's not like that's the only response of the US government.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Most people did not know this was happening, just like the vast majority of African atrocities. Engaging people around the world, making it part of their everyday lives, and ensuring that a much higher percentage of the population is following these events are important contributions. Again, you would have a point if that was all we did. Of course, that is not true. But, yes, awareness of important events is an important goal to pursue, even if they have to use those new fangled technologies to do it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    To be fair, they have been on the terrorist list since November of last year:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2013/11/217509.htm

That could partially explain why it took so long though.
  7. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Apparently so does the Obama Administration
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,893
    You guys can keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true. It's you guys who are trying to lay the social media campaign on Obama.
  9. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,893
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Jeeezus. Anyone else see the irony in this statement coming from THIS PARTICULAR poster?
  11. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    He makes a good point, after all. Things in the Benghazi coverup begin to heat up, and suddenly there's a new crisis to divert the attention away from the White House failures...

Do you recall Michelle holding a cardboard sign with the words #Benghazi or #FourDeadAmericans after the Benghazi attacks?

Yea, me either.
  12. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    Why should she with all of the rightwingers using SOCIAL MEDIA to keep the issue in the forefront of everything that has happened hereafter.
  13. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    When the media refuses to cover it, then so,done has to take up the slack.

Tell me. Do you find it odd that the Obama administration has taken to social media to keep this Boco Harem thing alive while using the mainstream media to stifle any investigations into wrongdoing in Benghazi?

Don't you find that to be the least bit odd?
  14. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +263
    True, but Michi dresses it up with such eloquence that you almost forget it's petty, partisan whining. So, props for that.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
  16. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,893
    And Rush Limbaugh wants to make sure that no one on the planet is more disgusting than him:

17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,616
    It's an effort to look like we're leading. Which we are... from behind. Obama thinks the social media on this matter is going to change his sorry-ass approval rating.
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    I just don't get why conservatives are bashing Michele for bringing attention to the Nigerian kidnappings through social media. Again, this is not our only response to the situation either. We are, in fact, flying recon missions along with other countries, and we are all sharing the intel.

Here's a question, Rick, if you were President, what more would you do that we are not already doing? Send in troops into a sovereign country without permission and without proper intel? And would you stop your First Lady from joining an international social media movement that is making this story the lead all over the world? And why?

I just don't get people who like to whine about every little thing regardless of the facts.
  19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,161
    Michelle may be doing some good worldwide by promoting awareness through social media (something I'm unfamiliar with since I don't tweet, facebook, or whatever else it out there beyond horse-and-buggy email). But I can't help but be reminded, fairly or not, of perhaps the most ridiculous White House promotion of all time. It was President Gerald Ford's WIN buttons. This was decades before social media, of course, so Ford's idea of promoting awareness was for everyone to wear a WIN button. And what did WIN stand for? "Whip Inflation Now." Yep, if everyone would just wear a WIN button, hopefully inflation would somehow go away. Oh, but the White House did more than that. As I recall, it recruited Irving Berlin to write a song, entitled, you guessed it, "Whip Inflation Now." Thankfully I never heard it (or if I did it's thankfully erased from my memory), but I doubt that it ranked up there with "White Christmas" or "Easter Parade."

If any oldtimers here still have a WIN button somewhere around the house, it could be worth some money. At the time they were being worn, they weren't worth a plug nickel.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Jealous?