Brent Pease: I DON’T KNOW WHAT VANILLA IS

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Sep 3, 2013.

1. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    I like what I read. Sounds good to me.
  2. GatorByte

GatorByte Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    I certainly don't disagree. One game in and we are running at will, chewing up massive clock in the process. Stout D is back, and Jeff is not staring down his first guy anymore. He even went to his second guy at least a couple times that I noticed.

The only thing I still need to see is his pocket awareness continue to improve and I'll be happy... I don't care if he only throws for a 100 yards. I'm confident we may even get to see some tough throws from him real soon.

I love the Gators winning, and I don't need to see the ball flying around to enjoy watching them do so.
  3. gavinuf7

gavinuf7 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    Honestly, many people on this board hated Meyer's offense, hated Mullen, and couldn't wait for Mullen to leave. Then once Mullen left, everyone wanted him back because the offense was terrible. Then we went through two years of the most excruciating offenses ever seen, and now we are still complaining about an efficient offense. My head hurts.
  4. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    WM achieved his goal last Sat. as some have rightfully mentioned. It was hot, afternoon game, you had a Toledo O that was productive in the past and no huddle. WM rightfully wanted to keep them on the sidelines and he did. Very good coaching. We came out with a win, found a rb in Brown that can spell Jones, and had no significant injuries.

We cannot base this brand new season on one game. If WM is honest then he has said he'd like to see a more balanced O. That means more than 22 passes. Now for this game, we didn't need to pass to win and as hot as it was, we wanted the clock to run.

If JD can continue to complete over 60 percent of his passes, keep drives going, I am confident that our D will not only hold down scores but will find ways to get the ball back for our O. Bottom line is just win. We have no room for error this year if we want any titles.

I do feel like our O will be tested more this saturday than last week. But I believe we will do just fine.
  5. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    My thoughts exactly!
  6. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    I appreciate Brent trying to address all the negativity toward Saturday's performance. He's just saying what coaches like him say after a game like that. That's how coaches talk. The whole "vanilla" thing was cute, but I really hope he doesn't think that we really believe that he and his crew let it all hang out last Saturday.

Here's something you can bank on: we're going to see things offensively against Miami that we didn't see against Toledo.
  7. GatorWon

GatorWon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    You're not going back far enough.
    In SOS' hayday, the bitchin' was about the offense scoring too quickly and forcing the defense back on the field too soon.

It's not about winning for some, it's about the statistics.
  8. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    Just win baby
  9. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,326
    Look at it another way--one offensive play in ten was an attempted throw downfield. That won't cut it in SEC competition. We should be using the opening game to fine tune our passing game, not control the clock. Anyone can control the clock against a much-weaker opponent, and it will not help you control the clock against an LSU, Georgia or Bama. Learning to throw downfield against a weaker opponent will help you against a better opponent, when the margin for error is less. Unless you think your offense can destroy Bama without any downfield passing.

I don't think Spurrier was even capable of going ten plays without a downfield pass unless the game was already over.
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Do you think Bama and LSU are going to play the coverage Toledo did vs UF in the first half? Because if they do we are going to do the same thing to them

The argument about rush attempts and throwing passes down the field vs the SEC not working I will just leave this here
    http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322800057
  11. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Raz, that game was a failure, we did not score 50+pts. What an un-entertaining snoozer that was. We did not throw downfield at all and my wife was bored because of the lack of passing. My kids were complaining about all the defense being played. Brother Bob kept whining about all the running plays and vanilla play calling. If we passed the ball, in that game, Jeff's passing stats would have been better. What say you? Uncle Billy said this game was going to ruin our offensive stats, we can't have that!
  12. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    1993 Spurrier's fourth season, in the Gator Bowl against UGA, second half Errict Rhett ran the ball then ran it some more. The game was not decided until the clock hit 0:00

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZaTfn_6_Kvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. urapnes

urapnes New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    To be fair, LSU threw the ball 25 times to our 8. And we ran the ball 28 consecutive times in the second half. Sure that resulted in the win, but where are the gorgeous stats to pleasure yourself to?

That's what it's about, gaudy stats.

I thought the game was brilliant Saturday, we controlled the LOS, ran the ball effectively all day, threw it to multiple targets and showed great versatility.

Not exciting things I find exciting:

1. Valdez lining up at WR and RB, getting the ball from both positions.
    2. Multiple formations with same personnel.
    3. FB lead blocker, ball carrier and catching passes.
    4. Receivers wide open DOWN THE FIELD and Driskel hitting them.

To say this offense is not fun to watch, exciting or otherwise says more about you than the Gators.
  14. TyWilliamsGator

TyWilliamsGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I love the way we play offense. We hit them in the mouth and dare them to hit back. If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot(UGA last year) we should be playing in ATL for a SEC/BCS championship
  15. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,957
    HAHA. Pease stock just went up in my book.
  16. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    This has been rehashed in other threads but the problem is we sucked in 2010, 2011, and 2012 on offense. 2009 was fine but still underachieved. Obviously only two of those are Muschamp years and only one with Pease.

Suffice to say people are tired of bad offense.

The Toledo game looked like a slightly better version of 2012. Not terrible, but nowhere good enough to consistently compete for rings.

So people are worried and rightfully so.

However it is way too early to say the offense will be bad this year. Or good this year. It has been one game. Miami will give us more of an indication.

I'll just point out one flaw in Pease's argument. He says our numbers would look more explosive if we connected on some other plays, such as Pattons drop. Now while true, it implicitly implies other teams connect on all their aggressive plays. That isn't true. Aggressive offense, especially deep passing, has a failure rate that must be accounted for. You cannot ignore our failure rate when measuring against a team with its failures built in. It's apples to oranges. You can either assume all teams connect all the time (attempts), or what actually happened (completions). You cannot compare attempts to completions. In either apple to apple comparison we were passive in 2012 and passive in Toledo.

We need to not get caught up in coach speak. Also the proof is in the pudding, aka numbers. We had a bad offense past year. It's factual. 2013 remains to be seen. Pease or Will are not going to come out and say the players stink, the play calling was consistently bad, the scheme failed, etc. no coach does that, even of the obviously worst teams in any sport. Coaches should be positive. Our coaches are doing what they should do with the media, but as an analyst you shouldn't trust their "opinion", at all. Reasoning and scheme talk holds more weight, but coach speak is coach speak whether its your favorite team or some random team. They are literally PAID to be positive.
  17. sleeze

sleeze Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    Exactly
  18. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Given the fact we don't actually put points on the board it is safe to assume defenses are "hitting back". This isn't a who has the biggest competition. It's an offenses job to produce, and the defense to stop them from producing. We didn't produce.

And by any objective measure we were incredibly fortunate last year. We were closer to Gator Bowl caliber than MNC game caliber. We had many games that were a coin flip late, and we won them. That's great, but also lucky and unsustainable. You cannot expect to continue to flip a coin and always hit "heads".

I don't mean to be negative. I want us to overachieve every single year. I just know that by definition you cannot rely on overachieving in order to reach your goals.
  19. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    you did not like the offense in 2012. The team did not suck at offense in 2012. The offense did its job. Was it explosive ? No Did they score a ton of points? No But they did control the clock and they were able to score when they needed to in 2012. You just didn't like it. Part of the offenses job is to not turn it over help keep the defense off the field and help control the time of possession they did that in 2012. You want to talk numbers 11-1 IN the regular season. Those are the numbers that matter not how many yards the team gains.

You dont win that many games against the schedule we had last year with a 3rd of the game sucking. It just doesn't happen.

Now if you think it is just "COACHES SPEAK" and the players suck then fine. We need to recruit better players which they are doing. So what is your problem?
  20. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Toledo was a team that the UF Offense should have dominated.

Not only were they one of the worst bottom of the barrell passing and overall defenses in the country (in a mid tier conference), they were inexperienced and returned one starter. Their team speed and level of athlete is not comparable to UF. Toledo may not have a kid who could make UF's 2 deep on defense.

Improvement? I don't think there is any way to know if JD or the offense improved at this point. They were performing last weekend against far inferior talent. Miami will be a better indicator because they have team speed and i imagine they will stack the box and run blitz coming out of the tunnell. They are not great cohesive unit, but they big, athletic, and fast. Something Toledo is not.