Brent Pease: I DON’T KNOW WHAT VANILLA IS

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Sep 3, 2013.

1. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    So you don't have any concerns about our offense?
  2. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +530
    Can we let last year go...it has little bearing on this year. The Toledo game was NEVER in doubt. So we didn't score 70 points, does that somehow make it less of a win? Are we somehow .8 -.2 instead of 1-0?
  3. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    The problem is that our WR's aren't making many catches (from the previous season, and the 1 game so far this year). Only 4 receptions went to WR's. If we have someone with 50 catches it would be a surprise. I hope it happens. Maybe when the SEC/bigger games (Miami, FSU) start up the starters will stay in the game longer. I RB could have 30+ catches.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    But the problem is that just about every offense does this. Sure, there are some that dictate tempo and pace (Kelly, Holgorsen, Sumlin, you can name some others), but mostly all offenses play some game of give and take. No one just dictates what they want to run and dares someone to stop them. Even Spurrier's multiple vertical offense was "reactive" in the sense that it had a number of combination routes.

More importantly, there is more than one way way to win. There are a whole host of them. Unlike Kelly, Holgorsen, or Sumlin, or even the Spurrier of the Florida days, we can afford to play field position, control the clock, and establish a run game because the strength of our team is still on the defensive side of the ball--and it is not an insignificant strength.

Who here would call Saban "reactive"? Or Meyer? But both were willing to play the same game we are playing and will give the same type of rationale for it. It is smart coaching, especially when you have such a putative strength on the other side of the ball.
  5. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    No sir. We were without our #1 back and still pretty much ran at will. I thought trey looked good catching, showers will be dangerous, fulwood with a nice 3rd down pick up, and Jeff sat in the pocket instead of taking off too quickly. It will be a good year.
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,046
    Now being a game manager is a bad thing?

The same people that are complaining about 'taking what a defense gives you' are the same people that were complaining last year about running into 8 man fronts. There's no such thing as a 'reactive offense.' You just can't win with some people.
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,880
    I think most people have concerns about the offense the defense and the special teams. We dont need Pease to tell us sorry he didnt score 60 agaisnt Toledo though
  8. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    I think D rob hits 100 yards against UM. Write it down
  9. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +530
    Because it wasn't "exciting". Bunch of wussies. You know what's exciting....Winning!
  10. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    The only way to impose your will on offense, is to run the ball at will. If you can't do that in the SEC you ain't doing nothing else. Two ways to play offense, you can run around them, or you can run through them. The point in the game when our running game is the funnest to watch is when the defense has given up and demoralized. Which is the point. When people respect that then you can go to work on the outside with man coverage. We got there against Toledo but the game was in hand it wasn't necessary. Matt running the ball will help get the looks and time we need to hit deeper throws but we need wr's that can win 50/50 balls. Last year there were none on the roster and the ones now just left home for the first time and are still figuring out their way around campus. Jeff's development hasn't been as fast as most would like but his progression eventually was limited by the lack of talent and progression around him. The good news is by the time Jeff leaves we'll be a much more efficient and explosive offense and Grier will come in with everything he needs around him to be as good as he wants to be, as soon as he wants to be.
  11. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Winning>exciting

Does ANYONE disagree?
  12. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,880
    I also think Matt Jones running the ball will bring more excitement some of these people are looking for. He would have had a field day against Toledo maybe the staff should have played him to appease the fans
  13. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    :laugh:
  14. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +431
    Yes - I don't mind vanilla with a few strawberries like Burton and Gillly. I don't like rocky road offense.

I'm glad we have a few more strawberries this year.
  15. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    One of those strawberries might get you sick, one is a year old. ;-) BTW, I like vanilla.
  16. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Upon further review we do not know!

Upon further review Bowling Green proved out to be an excellent Defense last year.

Upon further review Toledo's Defense had 1 returning starter that ranked 113 in pass defense last season.

We wont know for a couple of weeks and we will have to wait and see if the offense can play productively versus real competition.

There is not one player on Toledo defense who could start at UF.
  17. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I hope your right, and would love to see that. I also think trey between rushing and catching will exceed 100 yards total.
  18. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    ...aaaand welcome to 2009. Its going to be a long season around here if we dont start putting up some points.
  19. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Avata....
  20. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Yeah, I think you're right. Watching him run over people for 20+ yard runs with those predator dreads swinging in the air will get fans attention. As aggressive as he runs watching DB's make "business decisions" this year will be very entertaining. He's pretty animated and hyped on the field too so that'll bring some personality to offense which outside of the o-line it does lack. His superman move on the FSU TD was the most played Gator clip on TV and the internets this offseason.