Brent Pease: I DON’T KNOW WHAT VANILLA IS

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Sep 3, 2013.

1. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,031
    Again- there is no logical way to separate our defensive success against Toledo and what OUR offense did against Toledo.

A large part of the reason "Toledo's high-powered offense" could only muster two FGs is because our offense held the ball for a full FORTY minutes.

The bottom line is we beat a better team by a bigger margin than we did last year. That's improvement, no matter how you spin it.
  2. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Pretty much says it all right there. The offense is a product of Jeff not the other way around. That's going to hurt some folks on here but it makes more sense than CWM not believing in the forward pass.
  3. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    Surprised no one has responded to this quote, this is where the vanilla tag comes in and I have to say, if we go another full year with this kind of imbalance we'll have a hard time recruiting elite talent at QB and WR.

Note I said a full year, will wait a few more games to see how this offense really plays out. Even in 08' it took a full four games to really find our offense and that team was loaded
  4. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    So as near as I can tell, his answer to the question of why we don't have a more exciting offense is, we don't need a more exciting offense?
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    Hope you are right.
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    You must think Frankie Hammon is a deep threat and Nixon and Green are NFL tackles
  7. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I'm sorry to say it because I'd rather believe that our QB would be great at executing the downfield pass if the OC would only call it more often.....

but I think you are onto something there, whitelake. :yes:
  8. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Well we have a serious infusion in talent on OL and WR this year. So if it's not a by product of Jeff, we should have some good passing games by the end of the year.
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Infusion of young new talent and other factors impact the passing game. If we are running it down peoples throats they are not going to stop. You should expect a better offense than last year. In 2014 you should expect a better offense then in 2012 and 1013.
  10. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Dude, our OC basically called Jeff a "game manager". Why do you fight with everyone who says anything? You are slightly out of control at this point. You feel you have to defend everything and anything. Either take some time away voluntarily or maybe the mods can give you some time off. But you are becoming hostile to people just asking regular questions. I am being dead serious bud. You're acting like a real jerk.
  11. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    If that interview didn't address the concerns and questions that have been floating around then nothing he says will satisfy you. You either don't believe him or understand him.
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    He said Jeff manged the game so does Manning. He didnt say Jeff cant do certain things. There is a big difference put me on ignore
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,152
    I guess if you want to reduce the complexity to that, then sure.
  14. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Said something about this the other day and it's an underrated aspect of JD's game and our offense. There are extremely talented guys on other teams who can't get this down to save their lives.

15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,152
    Or you don't like the answer, which is the root of the issue. I've never seen the word "boring" used as much in referring to an offense as I have the last few days. It is sort of the default, and its antonym in this thread is "exciting." For some, offensive style doesn't matter provided it serves the ends of winning. For others, offensive style is at least on par with winning. So it goes.
  16. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Well I for one have already admitted that I don't understand him - or at least, I don't understand how he can be so mystified and offended by people questioning our offensive production.

I'm not expecting him to say, "Because our QB is not as good as we thought he'd be, that's why!" But anyone (including the AP voters, apparently) can see that our offense still looks a little lackluster, like it did last year. And last year, we failed to win the SEC East. So I don't get why he seems so surprised that people are asking questions about it.
  17. wpgator

wpgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +55
    Two comments.

One, GatorAZ, I agree with Whitelake in that you seem overly hostile to non-hostile questions. There are plenty of people here who have concerns about our football team that have been following the gators for a long time and are asking those questions respectfully. No need to get hostile or defensive.

Second, I was talking about this with another Gator fan today. The concern that I have is while I am watching the games I always feel like we are taking what the defense gives us while we are on offense, which sounds good in theory. However, I think that the most dominant offenses aren't reactive, which "taking what the defense gives" implies, but are proactive and take what they want, regardless of the defense. It is an more passive versus more aggressive approach. I hate to say it, but FSU's offense looked aggressive on Monday and on Saturday ours did not. That may change as the season wears on, but right now we look reactive and I would rather us be dictating our will on offense and appearing more aggressive all game long rather than in patches.

I understand that the Spurrier days are long gone when we completely imposed our will all game on offense, but I would like to see something similar for at least two quarters or so. I just don't ever get that feeling anymore when I watch our games that we are imposing our will on offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Great post, I agree with all your comments and share your concerns.
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    We dictate things by formation and with shifts and motions. We want to run the football. We are able to run the football thus we are dictating the game. The team had the ball for 40 min vs Toledo. This was done with a back up RB.

We ran the ball 24 straight times vs LSU what is more imposing than that? Running the football when everybody knows you are going to.
  20. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    Then how about you people that have concerns about the offense submit your resume to Mr. Foley and maybe once you get hired you can address the issues!! Some of you people are so effing whiny it is embarrassing. We won and are coming off an 11-2 season for crying out loud. Some have become so spoiled its mind boggling. Can you imagine being a Tennessee, USCw, Texas, or WV fan?
    • Like Like x 1