Brent Pease: I DON’T KNOW WHAT VANILLA IS

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Sep 3, 2013.

1. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    No. There was a lot of criticism of SOS when he was here because he didn't run the ball enough and because his running game was based on the draw play, not on power or trap blocking. At one point, SOS answered that criticism by saying "You mean like we did around here when we weren't winning anything?"

There was a lot of criticism of SOS while he was here for not using the shotgun formation.

There was constant criticism of SOS while he was here because some fans thought he didn't care about recruiting. I think that was way off base. He passed on a lot of good players who he thought were bad characters, and, unlike some coaches, he wasn't going to lie to recruits. I suppose he could have recruited like Meyer and Zook and had arrest records like theirs. In his defense, he never recruited an athlete who told his girlfriend it was time to die or later went on to get arrested for murder.

No, there was criticism of Meyer's character, dishonesty, and hypocrisy when he was coach. Obviously criticism of a current coach can't be as frank as criticism of a coach when he's gone or it would have been banned from the board. So in comparison to current criticism of Meyer, it was comparatively mild and toned down. But it was there.

A few people thought Meyer's system wouldn't work in the SEC, but most of us never bought into that. In fact, any system that's so different from the norm gets a little bit of an edge just because it's new and unfamiliar. Eventually defenses catch up with that part. But when Meyer's system is run by a bruiser like Tebow or Cam Newton, and the rest of your team has a big edge in physical talent at every position, that's a different problem for the defense. No, the biggest criticism of Meyer's system was that, in comparison to the Fun and Gun, it was BORING.

So far, the current staff seems intent on using a system that requires dominant physical talent across the offense to bludgeon the opponents into submission without creating any of the opportunities that Meyer's system did, and certainly none of the excitement that the Fun and Gun did. That works OK if you're playing directional cupcakes and bad programs like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi and, for the past decade, Tennessee. It's not a long term league-beating strategy against teams that are your equal physically.

AND IT'S INCREDIBLY BORING!!!

It's like watching soccer ... not just soccer, but really really dull, boring, uncreative soccer ... the kind of soccer where both teams spend the whole game making tiki-tack passes in midfield ... the kind where neither team shows any of speed, passing and scoring skills that can make soccer interesting ... the kind where trench warfare is the object of the game and scoring is merely an afterthought ... and you're paying thousands of dollars a year to sit in 90 degree plus heat and burning sun to watch it.
  2. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,046
    Bama seems to be doing OK with this strategy.
  3. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Bama also keeps it a lot cleaner than we do before-and after-the snap. You don't see twelve men on the field, they always have seven men on the line of scrimmage, and they run the physical, ball-control offense the way it's supposed to be run. And they have more talent than anybody else in college football.

Florida is building that.
  4. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    I think the reality is now setting in that our offense played poorly agianst Toledo too and the the stats concerning time of possession, yada yada, meant little to nothing becuase Toledo stunk! As i noted before it was a statistical mirage. It was not a measuring stick by any standards.

As i noted, i went to the Toledo and stayed to the bitter end. I am here in Miami and leaving after we eat. Long F-ing ride home... it is a crying shame that Muschamp is so friggin stubborn and thinks that offense is running 2 slow backs into an 8 man front on first down. Somebody should clue him in that he object of offense is to score points and that he has an option QB who runs that 3 back read option beautifully. Our defense is smothering. Our Offense is dysfunctional.
  5. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    He also doesn't know anything about being an OC
  6. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +339
    He is what he is, but very hard to believe matt jones is the best the gators have.