Brent Pease: I DON’T KNOW WHAT VANILLA IS

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Sep 3, 2013.

1. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    Gator Offensive Coordinator Brent Pease dismisses “vanilla” tag for Florida; discusses Jones, Showers, freshmen receivers

Posted by Adam Silverstein | September 3, 2013

Florida Gators offensive coordinator Brent Pease met with the media on Tuesday ahead of the second game of the season against the Miami Hurricanes on Sept. 7.

”I DON’T KNOW WHAT ‘VANILLA’ IS

Asked Tuesday if the Gators purposely held back on offense in order to not put some of their new plays and vertical passing game on tape – or if Florida was simply the same old offense that could not do much other than run the ball – Pease appeared to be a bit offended by the implication that the Gators’ offense was vanilla and not creative. He responded with the following (extremely long) rant.

“First off, I don’t know what ‘vanilla’ – because I’ve heard the word ‘vanilla’ – I don’t know what ‘vanilla’ is. I’ve never made a game plan with vanilla and that’s never what I would go into a game plan with. I would feel too uncomfortable thinking we got to save all this, we got to save all that...

“I look at it, compared to what we did last year… We controlled the ball for 40 minutes, finished the game with the last 6:38 on the clock. We rushed for 262 [yards]; we passed for 77 percent...

“We threw the ball down field seven times. Coverage takes some things away. Do you ask a quarterback not into coverage deep? Yeah, you do. We hit Trey Burton on two, we had two check downs, we got a protection issue on one. We’re stretching the field. We can stretch the field if we want to stretch the field. Did we have to stretch the field at a certain part in time? No. Did we have it in the game plan to do it? Yes. I’m not sure what everybody wants…

“We didn’t have a vanilla game plan. You saw reverses. I can’t handle what the refs don’t see but yet they call and it keeps us out of the end zone…

He later added:

“Do I want to see 300 passing yards? Absolutely. Is that going to be a reality? I don’t know. I don’t measure success totally on that. We completed 77 percent yet we have two drops, two tips and a pass that he probably should’ve hit on the end zone but he overthrew it and it got away from him. That’s what I see. The kid’s making good decisions. He’s managing the game. … He’s productive with his hands running it. He’s putting us in the right plays in the run game. That’s what I look at. Are we having a chance to win the game? Yeah, explosiveness, but I’m not measuring it on yards. That’s called you trying to get your guru card. Maybe when I was 30 years old, but I’m not 30 years old anymore.”

• UF gained 50 more yards than its opener last season, with nine so-called “explosive” plays , which constitute runs of at least 12 yards and pass completions of 16 or more.
    • The Gators were 6-for-12 (50 percent) on third versus 5-for-16 (31.2 percent) against Bowling Green.
    • Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel completed 77 percent of his passes. That figure was 62 last year.
    • UF went 3-for-3 on third-and-1 situations, compared to 1-for-10 in third- or fourth-and-2-or-less against Bowling Green.
    • The Gators took possession of the ball with 6:49 to play and ran out the clock on the Toledo 4-yard line, putting an exclamation point on a 2-for-1 time-of-possession ratio (39:48 to 20:12).
    http://www.onlygators.com#ixzz2drdrwc5P
    ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
  3. gatorbrah

gatorbrah New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    At first it scared me when he said that we'd never have a 90 catches guy. But then I looked at Amari Cooper's numbers from last year, as well as Julio Jones' from 08-10, and they averaged around 60 a year. Pease said he would like to see a 50 per year guy for us emerge, but I wonder how many of those 50 will be 3 yard dink and dunk's?
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,836
    This is going to hurt a bunch of negative people feelings.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Well said Coach. Do what it takes to win the game and forget making armchair coaches happy.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    We're going to beat the brakes off Miami. That's all that matters.
  7. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    What the hell is a guru card? I'm upset because I didn't get one when I was 30 years old and evidently it's too late now.

He seems a bit defensive, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that he would be so confused about why people are questioning the offense. "I’m not sure what everybody wants," he says. Really? I find that a little hard to believe.

"What everybody wants" is more productivity from the passing game, obviously. More involvement of the wide receivers, more big plays.

What everybody wants to know is, why isn't our offense more exciting? I am open minded and willing to listen to the OC's explanation. But instead of answering the question he pretends not to understand why anyone would ask it? :huh: Come on, man. :no:
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,112
    I think the misunderstanding of the "vanilla" epigram is that some think it means you aren't running your whole offense. You are, but you may not necessarily have put game- or personnel-specific stuff into the mix for that week. There is certainly more of that against league opponents.

On the downfield throws, it was interesting to see him put a number to it. So we had seven of 24 called passes intended down the field, of which two were checkdowns because of coverage, two were completed to Burton in the seems, one went off Patton's hands, one was nickel blitz/sack/fumble.
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Do you want him to say we dont have the underclassmen players yet and our best player was hurt?

That is it year two of the system not year 4
  10. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +652
    I think that what we saw was not a vanilla offense but an offense that was designed to meet the objectives of what the coaches wanted to do, which was control the TOP against a team we should have the talent to beat, even missing some of our best players.

I don't expect the objectives or the game plan will be the same in every game.
  11. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I don't have any particular answer in mind but I would like to hear him honestly address the question because it's a fair one, don't you think? Or are you satisfied with the production from the passing game?
  12. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I think the point being missed is under Meyer we had a more balanced attack with as many runs as throws. We had 70 total plays with 24 of them being throws. That's the reason some may call it vanilla.
  13. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    That was a polite way of calling all of the negative people a bunch of idiots.
  14. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,836
    Your questions have been answered by multiple people here and by Brent Pease himself, but you obviously reject it and/or don't understand it.
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    He has answered the question so has many people on this site. He is not satisfied where we are at but there are reasons for it but you fail to listen. He makes points in the article you just read
  16. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,996
    * UF gained 50 more yards than its opener last season, with nine so-called “explosive” plays , which constitute runs of at least 12 yards and pass completions of 16 or more.

* The Gators were 6-for-12 (50 percent) on third versus 5-for-16 (31.2 percent) against Bowling Green.

* Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel completed 77 percent of his passes. That figure was 62 last year.

* UF went 3-for-3 on third-and-1 situations, compared to 1-for-10 in third- or fourth-and-2-or-less against Bowling Green.

The improvement is obvious.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,845
    Good for him for defending his/Muschamp's play selection. Just keep winning and people will be content (in their own way). But have a game where the penalties take away scoring drives or a few TOs fires up the other team then...watch out.
  18. GATORnGA31909

GATORnGA31909 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    Does anyone really think Pease would say he called a vanilla game...um no!! He wants Miami to think they seen everything we gonna run play wise..trust me..you will see different plays come Saturday.. possibly some we never seen before
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,112
    Well, he did address it. He said his goal was to win the game, he cited rushing, time of possession, and pass efficiency statistics, he indicated the number of times vertical passing plays were called and why they didn't succeed, and he claimed that Driskel was making all the right reads and decisions against umbrella coverages. It isn't his job to produce an "exciting offense." It is his job to aid the team in winning games. Of all people, he wants the offense to score more points, but he also knows what he is working with and what the ensuing weeks hold.

The only other option is for him to out his players and ask how we expect to beat anyone deep with receivers who either don't have speed (Burton, Dunbar), size (Patton), or any game experience (Robinson, Fulwood), but he probably isn't interested in making excuses or calling out kids, nor does he feel any compulsion to explain to the media or fans the intricacies of the passing game that would potentially open our playbook to opposing defensive staffs.
  20. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Lol I like pease
    • Like Like x 1