Breaking: Ray Lewis used a banned substance to recover this season.

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by tilly, Jan 29, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    No, I'm the opposite. And I read studies, which are far more valuable than the anecdotal bro science that gets perpetuated.

What I was saying is I was like that ... when I was a kid, 12 years old or so.
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    LoL.........I go to Planet Fitness where they don't allow for screamers to workout. It's clean and cheap. They have most all of the great machines and free wight apparatus' I need, but they don't have everything I'd like in a full workout.

No "douches" working-out there, plus I bring my iTunes to maintain my own workout 'zone' just in case.
  3. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    There you go again with the "bro science" wise-crack. I am happy that everything I've ever tried is still good to this day, and I stated working out when I was 10.

I knew about the "Andros" and it's negative affects on the body so I never tried it.

I make sure there is sound scientific proof to back something up before I try it.

Besides protein powder, what's you favorite supplement?
  4. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    The big question is: Will the NFL suspend Ray Lewis for his cheating?
  5. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Serious question. What does sound scientific proof really, exactly mean to you? Do you have a scientific background? Some of your references actually make sense is why I ask.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Bro science isn't a "crack" on you, it's a crack on bro science. There's been a lot of in this thread, though.

Admittedly, when I was first working out (and this was even before McGwire et al were using), I would try anything legal from brewer's yeast (an early BCAA supplement that's to this day far more price effective) up to creatine and androstendione. I quickly grew out of that, largely after recognizing how ineffective 99% of the stuff marketed is.

As the years went on, I recognized that most of this stuff is nonsense, backed by one or two terrible studies and later refuted by pretty much every other one. But what happens in the time between the erroneous studies and the scientific veracity? Tons of marketing, tons of hype, tons of suckers. I'm on 18 years of lifting and it hasn't changed. I suspect it was like that for a few decades before I started.

BCAAs and amino acids are a prime example. BCAAs are absolutely, biologically essential. You gotta have em. And they're beneficial. But, as mentioned, a carton of eggs can run as low as $.80 a dozen and provide 30x more BCAAs than the supplements.

The fitness industry can't sell eggs. You go to the store to get them. They're cheap. The fitness industry can sell amino acid extracts, and at a healthy profit.

The fitness industry can't sell hard work. The fitness industry can sell Vietnamese vanilla bean extract or deer feces monohydrate.
  7. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    Back to the subject at hand: Here's an interesting article excerpt that mentions Ray Lewis and DAV in the same breath.

Bye bye Ray Lewis. :wave:
  8. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    Anything that is steroid like substance/substitute, or has bad side effects like losing your hair or sex drive is sound scientific research, IMHO. j/k

JAMA, Mayo Clinic, New England Journal of Medicine et al, are what I would consider sound scientific research.
  9. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    Mods forgive me but I had to put this on here because the site might take it down after Ray Lewis lied about using a this banned substance.

http://www.earthsbounty.com/whats_new.htm
  10. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    One more time. Eating good nutritious food is important, especially eggs, but Aminos are the "holy grail" (mind, body and soul ) of fitness and you'll find this out one day.

Until then eat on, and feel good knowing that it's true - a good diet is all young healthy people really need. But, as you age.......things change.
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Whether aminos are the holy grail is irrelevant. You get more aminos in a single egg than in a 4 servings of an amino supplement.

In other words, an egg is a cheaper, more efficient and tastier amino acid supplement. How is that confusing?
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    And no matter how old you get, food will still be a cheaper, more efficient and reliable way to get amino acids.
  13. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    Fine, but the right combination of aminos might just slow the aging process altogether. And, there's nothing "Bro" about amino acids :happy:

What do you eat to make you sleep better at night. Some people can't get a restful sleep no matter what. Please no warm milk crap.

And, in case you haven't noticed, look at the ingredients on some of the foods you buy/ingest. There's some stuff that can cause cancers. White bread has Bromine in it.
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
  15. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    Childishness.....That figures. I just didn't know you were that immature.

There are a lot of poisons in our foods you just don't know it. Have fun and eat all you can...."Bro".
  16. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Rick, how is this childish? I'm explaining why amino acid supplementation is inefficient, you're going off on very strange tangents.
  17. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,455
    Lots of soft drinks have brominated vegetable oil in them as well. But that's a complete nonsequitur since the dietary approach to sports nutrition typically focuses on clean protein sources. I don't know anyone suggesting that white bread and Mountain Dew are better source of amino acids than supplements.
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I mean I don't care how people want to waste their hard-earned money. But if someone asked me if they should supplement with amino acids, I'd have two questions:

1. Do you participate in intermittent fasting?
    2. Do you otherwise not have access to protein?

If the answer to both of those was 'no' I would in no way recommend spending money on amino acid supplements. Instead, I'd say get some whey protein or ... again ... eat an egg.
  19. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    You're the one injecting food into this discussion, so I added to that "tangent" when you did.

In all seriousness, I really hope you find the time to investigate the thyroid gland and what it does for us. Find out why it's important and what are the most important nutrients to keep it healthy. Google "Iodine and thyroid" while you're at it my friend.

Good luck my friend..........
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    What?

This is such a weird tangent. Thyroid? Iodine? Seriously, Rick, where are you going with this?