Breaking Bad finale

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Emmitto, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    The Gretchen backstory was early on, like the first two seasons.

Gretchen was his lab assistant in college, and they were involved romantically. They had a flashback where they were in a lab and applying exact percentages of the makeup of the human body and came up a fraction of a percent short. She suggested it was the soul and Walt poo-pooed it. How the romance ended is unclear. But she ended up with Elliott.

He's always been bitter that he sold his stake in Gray Matter early for like $5000 and then it exploded into a mega-company. He has misplaced anger toward Elliott and Gretchen over missing out on the fame and fortune and possibly some lingering feelings for Gretchen too. He's always "blamed" them for missing the boat with Gray Matter.

It may be that he sold out so early to get away from the pain of seeing Gretchen with Elliott, but I don't know that for sure. That might add to his anger over the whole scenario.
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    Did you just want to scream "Shut up. Shut up! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!" like Skyler did? I don't think I realized how irritated I was with her until Skyler did that, and I was like YES!
  3. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    I don't think Walt blames them, in deft he blames himself when trying to convince Jesse to try and cook more back when Jesse wanted out in S4 or something.

I think it's more of a lack of credit at how much he actually helped gray matter.

In Elliot's birthday they talked of studying for hours and working endless nights. Seemed like walk was pretty much half of it but got no fame, or credit. I don't think it's about the money/selling stock .
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I rememember them working on an equation or something. But the rift, or whatever it was that split them never was revealed. I thought since it wasnt mentioned it was "big," but maybe it doesnt matter. It was probably just because Walt was a prick.
  5. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    He blames them irrationally. In an early season he lashes out at Gretchen over it and she tells him he's wrong. It's part of his contrived rationale for building his meth "empire", since his legit empire was denied him. But of course he sold out on his own accord. He was certainly largely responsible for the success, and seeing them disown him on Charlie Rose snapped him back to Heisenberg in the finale. And as wgb points out, they just showed him splitting from Gretchen without an explanation, so maybe that had something to do with Elliott and maybe not.

Of course that's just my take. When in doubt, better call Itssaul!
  6. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    ;)
  7. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    Just finished this last night. Wow.

Rivals Sopranos for pure awesome sauce.

Did a single character not fall from grace? A true tragedy with unparalleled anxiety.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Norcaligator

Norcaligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    I think Holly held her own pretty well. :)
    Cute baby.
  9. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +404
    I kept waiting for Holly to save Daddy with by popping out of the trunk with the machine gun.

Admit it, you wanted to see it too...
  10. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    So I don't see any one discussing how much the liked/didn't like the ending? I got to water-cooler talk about this at work today and a few folks didn't like the end.

I admit, you kind of saw that Walt was going to set things "right" on his way out of this world, the viewer just didn't really know how he'd do it. So in one sense, it was kind of predictable, but how he did things was pretty good. e.g.: Funneling the money through the gray matter people was brilliant.
  11. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    I feel pretty lucky.

I've watched two shows in the last 15 years: The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. Given how awesome my narrow view of television must be, you'd think I'd watch more TV, but I'm wise enough to know that these are outliers and TV mostly sucks. ;)

I did see some House of Cards, and that looked good. May pick that up in the next 5 years.
  12. Norcaligator

Ratings Received:
    +378
    I liked the ending primarily because of how they tried to tie up the loose ends. Did like the question above about Huell sitting in the safe house. And I would have liked to see Jesse grab a pile of cash on his way out of the compound, although that wouldn't have been consistent with his values. Particularly liked the lasers used to keep Elliott and Gretchen honest, and thought it was funny that Skinny Pete and Badger were helping with that.
    Great series.
  13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +758
    I thought the finale could be called "Walter White repents." I'm not sure anyone saw that coming, so in that way, it was unpredictable.

He learned his lesson and stopped trying to talk his way out of everything. He even confessed to Skylar and kinda/ sorta said a prayer (in the first scene.)

I've heard Gilligan has said the show's theme was "Actions have consequences." I think that's one reason it resonates with me. TV always showed a world without consequences. BB broke that mold.
  14. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    Ummm....might have to push back on you a bit here. I see your point. But in the end he was with his "precious", rubbing the very instrument of his destruction, and had just went all Heisenberg one last time. Seems to me his demented behavior was vindicated, in his mind, as he knew that his family was taken care of (pending the trust), he had performed one last act of a mad man via superior intellect and ability, and he "saved" Jesse. I didn't feel like he had a single ounce of regret. He died "knowing" that all of his actions had been "for the greater good."

Thoughts?
  15. scamgtr

scamgtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    Walter White stopped lying to himself about who he was and what he had become. He accepted the consequences of his actions; in return for that he got to provide for his family and destroy his rivals, and go out on his own terms. He stopped making excuses; "I liked it. I was good at it...it made me feel alive." I think he certainly regretted the destruction of his family and the death of Hank; but he accepted that it wasn't Heisenberg who did those things, it was Walter White. He accepted that he was a bad guy and was prepared for the consequences of being that guy. He wasn't redeemed or turned into a heroic figure. His actions had consequences that he had accepted as the price for doing them.
  16. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    Well I'd mostly agree with that, just not that it constitutes repenting. More like coming to terms. I generally think repenting involves changing to be "good." He basically embraced reality. But maybe Walter could consider that repenting.
  17. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    Seemed pretty simple to me. Walt was dying of cancer and needed to feel alive. "Precious" did it for him though he started just to leave something for his family. Also think the the Grey Matter rift was because Gretchen cheated on him and Walt was "encouraged" to leave when things got sticky and he was emotionally exhausted.
  18. The_Ultimate_Gator

The_Ultimate_Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    The ending to Lost was way better.
  19. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +404
    Apparently, you are one of WW's customers.
  20. Norcaligator

Ratings Received:
    +378
    Agreed. I thought Lost got lost at the end. Didn't feel that way with Breaking Bad, and thought the ending brought a nice closure. Loved how chained-up Jessie got to exact his own measure of revenge.