Breaking: Aaron Hernandez officially indicted for double homicide

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by tilly, May 15, 2014.

1. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    That is ridiculous. Why do you think it is a schools or coaches responsibility to change a grown man.
    THe school can give them opportunities but it isn't their job beyond that.
    The only thing UF did was give him am opportunity to change. He didn't do it.

Besides it was back home were he got into trouble.

Other schools including FSU were after him. I don't think any of them would have changed that guy. He is evil.
  2. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    @Bradass /2 posts above:

No, I had not--at least I don't remember having read it.

So having read your excerpt, imo, it reflects rather poorly on us (covering up for Ahern), though it doesn't change much wrt to Ahern. We should own it and learn from it, not pretend it never happened. That accomplishes nothing.

Though I should point out that it is clear that we have acknowledged the part about losing the locker room, and taken steps to recapture it, through 'champ.

But erasing Ahern from the books, accomplishes nothing--it just makes us look FSUish, in the sense of trying to pretend sh*t didn't happen, that clearly did.
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  3. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +843
    Shouldn't a school take responsibility for covering up for a student/athlete, when it serves to enable him not to change?

e.g.--is FSU completely innocent of J. Winston's future criminal acts (guaranteed), if they continue to insulate him?

The greater point however, is born out in the excerpt bradass posted. The Pouncey twins. Ahern. Reggie Nelson....hanging out after hours, getting into fights... We weren't running the cleanest of programs under Meyer. Nor under Zook, for that matter (NB: by 'clean' -for lack of a better word--I'm referring to the culture we were fostering within the locker room, not corruption, by the institution). Under 'champ, we're doing what we can to clean up the program. That's great. We don't want to be the criminoles, or Thug U (Miami).

But we delete Ahern from the recs, because he disgraced himself so epically AFTER he left UF....while we do nothing of the sort wrt to so many other shenanigan's that went on from the early 90's through the oughts, AT UF.

It's just pointless and inconsistent, imo.

FWIW.
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,776

That may say more about our former Head Coach, than about "us."
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gator Mike

Gator Mike Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    TV reporter from Boston was on the radio here this morning, and went over the timeline of the last 24 months...

June 2012 - Hernandez and associate Alexander Bradley allegedly shoot and kill two men in a drive-by in Boston.

February 2013 - Bradley alleges that Hernandez shoots him in the face outside a Miami nightclub. Bradley loses an eye, and by all accounts is fortunate to survive.

June 2013 - Hernandez allegedly kills Odin Lloyd for "spilling the beans".

Man... it sure looks like that by shooting Bradley and Lloyd that he was trying to tie up loose ends.

Also... and this is absolutely disgusting... according to the Boston TV Reporter, a spilled drink is what led to the original double murder in June 2012.

He also has a theory that the Patriots were at least somewhat concerned about Hernandez's off the field activities and that the cash from his new contract was beginning to cause some problems. He theorizes that one of the main reasons that Tim Tebow was signed was because they wanted a close positive influence on Hernandez and that the second Hernandez was arrested, Tebow's chances of making the team declined dramatically.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  6. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    SO are you saying those players who took money from agents back in the 90's are the responsibility of Spurrier and UF?
    I mean it was on their watch?
    You can tell them what is right and wrong but again they are adults.
    This doesn't mean you tolerate it. Just like a company who has exectations on the actions of their empoyees. It doesn't mean your follow them around 24/7
  7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    Just a few notes...

1) If indeed Ahern "failed multiple drug tests and they were covered up" as the RS article and other posters say, then we should be placed on serious probation. If you don't know, our athletic dept runs our drug testing program. so that means our entire athletic dept is crooked. That is loss of institutional control- a very big deal. So if a Gator poster is repeating this, I hope they have certain knowledge that this happened. It is horribly slanderous to UF to say this if not true.

2) A Hern was investigated for a shooting while at UF but the description of the suspect and A Hern did not match so it did not proceed.

3) Is it possible the guy had some bad friends up in New England, and getting out of that area helped him for a bit to he was a bit better? Then moving back up there, plus the NFL millions, put him back on his previous road? If so, then I can't see how anyone can say we "enabled him."
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +843
    So, should we delete Meyer from the books?

Seems to me he bears more responsibility for what happened AT UF, than Ahern's bloodshed, POST UF. (course I think the 2 NC's would have to go with him, but I not sure how all this 'pretend something never happened' but we get to keep others works, within any framework of consistency).

The only reason Ahern was deleted from the books, is what happened AFTER he left UF--not while he was here.

That is simply pointless.

Why not just publicly denounce him, express our grave disappointment, and disapproval, and move on.

Clear. True. No pretenses.

No pretending...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +843
    Not really. My issue is simply that it is silly to delete Ahern from the recs, for things he did AFTER he left UF. That's all I'm saying.

So many other angles & tangents seem to be getting tied in by way of analogy, or perspective, or what have you; sorry for the confusion.
  10. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +856
    That article is probably the most complete story I've read on where he came from and what led to this. It's long, but honestly if you haven't read it fully then your thoughts about all of this have less credence. JMO
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,705
    I see what you're getting at, but UF is under no obligation to honor former players gone bad.

I'd much rather we strike references to Hernandez than write a letter of commendation to the sentencing judge so we can recruit his cousin... the reFSU modus operandi.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    it's amazing how you can have all this talent and this great life - yet throw it all away
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +843
    1. I don't disagree with your assertion--I just don't think recognizing truth--what actually, undeniably happened--is 'honoring' him.

2. Certainly between those two polar opposites, I would agree.

But we can and imo should, still recognize that he played here, and what he accomplished here, without 'honoring' him (e.g.--naming him to the all 21st century team), and without going to bat for him at sentencing. And we can still denounce him, and express our grave disapproval and disappointment--without COMPROMSING THE INTEGRITY OF OUR OWN RECORD BOOKS.

But hey, I guess it's just me.

Btw-- I also happen to think Pete Rose should be in the HOF. :)
  14. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +856
    Well, Pete Rose wasn't a serial killer, so...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,850
    And a great reason to hope for Boom's success!

I don't think Meyer was dirty, just had a God complex where he truly thought he could change him.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    He should be stricken from the earth.
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    Wait- did we take him off the record books? In other words- are you saying that all his receptions and yardage and all else have been deleted? If so- then yes I agree with you. We did this to Vernon Maxwell's records at UF but I think he was found out to be ineligible but should not do this to Hernandez for something he did post UF.

I thought all we did was remove all HONORS to Hernandez- like any mention of him in the stadium, etc. I am fully on board with this and think we should do the same with all athletes that go on to commit murder.
  18. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +843
    Well damn...I thought we did 'Vernon Maxwell' him. It appears we only removed the honorable mentions of him.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/n...-removed-from-university-of-florida-1.1329407

I don't have a problem with that at all.

so...channeling Gilda Radner....

Nevermiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind.
  19. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Meyer was a really complex character. He was religious - even pious - yet he would lie with impugnity to protect his players. He really cared about those kids, but his habit of enabling certain of them led to some real problems he didnt (and still doesnt) recognize.

I think if the story of his time at UF is ever really told, it will surprise a lot of people.

I realize this thread is about Hernandez, but Hernandez ' story is really a microcosm of Meyers story. I don't blame Meyer one bit for Hernandez's dirt - some people are just crazy - but the stories will always be intertwined.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +456
    Thanks Oak. Looking at this beautiful pic makes me believe I'll make my Cape Verde reservations with a lot less introspection than fakericksuttcliffe showed.