1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Breaking: Aaron Hernandez officially indicted for double homicide

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, May 15, 2014.

1. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    He was investigated in another shooting incident while he was here too. Nothing came of it, and he was "Cleared" because they didn't have evidence and the eyewitness accounts varied. He also had multiple failed drug tests and an incident at a bar, etc, etc. He's just complete trash man, don't waste any breath defending him.
  2. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,419
    Not 'defending' him; just saying that what he did after UF, doesn't undo what he did at UF.

As I said, he wasn't a model student. I was aware of the bar fight; wasn't aware of the investigation--but you say he was cleared, so I'm not going to impute guilt to something he was cleared for (while in G'ville), after being investigated, based on what he is clearly guilty of, after he had long departed G'ville (nor was I aware of 'failed drug screens', and have to question how nothing was done about it, if that were the case).

I'm not suggesting any kind of leniency at all, in any of his criminal cases up there--let justice issue, and issue swiftly.

And I'm not trying to whitewash his time in G'ville either. I know he was trouble at UF--but not nearly the POS he became later (and probably was before he came here). He did straighten up (to an extent) for a little while, and left with a northbound trajectory--that's a good thing, and had he maintained that trajectory, we would all celebrate his story as one of victory--of a former gang banger who left the streets, went to school on a scholly, and dun good for himself.

....the fact that he lost his way and reversed that trajectory, doesn't change the fact that he changed trajectory in the first place--it simply means that he failed to maintain that 'change of trajectory'.

That's all I'm saying. I simply don't think it's fruitful to gratuitously impute his later failings, however colossal, retroactively. It could have gone either way after he left UF--he chose poorly (very, very poorly, as it turns out).

The facts remain that he was a Gator, and he earned a great opportunity through UF, which he later squandered. But the fact that took a monster dump on that opportunity, doesn't change the fact that he earned that opportunity--through UF.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    92, I'm trying to figure out what you are arguing here. All signs are that even when he was at UF, Hernandez was consorting with gangster types and was up to no good. We didn't hear so much about it at the time, but later it was revealed that he was involved in some unpublicized shenanigans and none other than Tim Tebow was assigned by Urban Meyer to straighten the kid out. But even Tebow could not get through to him.

The dude is bad news now and has been bad news all along. But neither Gator fans nor Patriot fans realized just how bad until he got busted for killing somebody.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,419
    I can't lay it out any clearer than I did in that post. Here is the summary again:

The facts remain that he was a Gator, and he earned a great opportunity through UF, which he later squandered. But the fact that took a monster dump on that opportunity, doesn't change the fact that he earned that opportunity--through UF.
    Those facts did not change, due to the homicides he committed after he left UF.

The act of expunging his name from the records doesn't change any of that--it merely pretends to impute knowledge of his guilt, retroactively.

I think that is pointless.

He was a student at UF; he was a Gator FB player--however embarrassing that is now. You can't go back and change the facts--they are what they are.

JMHO.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Okay, my bad. Guess I read your response without reading what you were responding to.

I agree with you that it's strange to remove his name from the record books as if he never existed, or as if it came to light that he had been ineligible to play for some reason. He should never again be honored by the school in any way, but neither should he be erased from history due to crimes he committed after he left.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,966
    Nice choice. I'm sure the local scenery will keep your mind right...

[​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,270
    And a talented multitasker:)
  8. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,270
    I knew there was a reason I liked you oak. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,270
    Couldn't he have just shot the Boston bombers instead? Kills 2 birds w/ stone. Gets his murder fix while doing America a favor:)
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    The guy is kind of scary and I'm glad I wasn't living there at the time. :eek:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    Prolly should get the electric chair...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,176
    See . . . he learned how to do all this while attending UF; it's not that he was that kind of person all along. Oh no.

It's all our fault.
  13. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +903
    Unfortunately, this is Massachusetts, so instead he'll get food and board on the taxpayer's dime til the day he dies
  14. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    Scumbag- he'll get what's coming to him
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,915
    He's being framed by the TPD.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    WOW WEE! Who this is? Daaam.
  17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,966
    No kidding, huh?!

A lot of the Cape Verde girls are Portuguese / West African mix and very hot.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,419
    I'm not sure where you're going with this.

UF certainly enabled him to an extent (to maintain gang ties, and such), so some of the mud is properly slung back on us. We took a chance with a gang banger. We picked a gang banger off the streets, and gave him a chance at an honest, respectable life. We enabled him to get a great opportunity, and he took us up on that. We used each other, and both parties lived up to and delivered, on their respective ends of the bargain. We gave him an opportunity to play big time col. fb; he parlayed that opportunity into a starting spot on an NFL roster. He even did well for a couple of seasons before absolutely screwing the pooch, reverting to the POS he was before coming to UF (and then some)--for which he is paying, and will pay for the rest of his life--even if life in prison isn't nearly enough or true justice.

...but the story at UF, should not be dismissed as never having happened.

Lesson learned? Sure. But lessons can only be learned, when we own our mistakes--not by pretending that we never made them.

JMHO (again).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,419
    ^^^at least one sad aspect lost in the Ahern disgrace, and our attempt at cleansing the 'stank' left behind, is that we may never take a chance on a gang banger again--or at least not for a very long time--because of Ahern. Yet we could make a difference in a number of kids' lives who could be great fb players, if we maintain a culture and structure of integrity throughout the program. Meyer (primarily) failed on that last part--and therefore, by extension, so did we.

The failure of 'the experiment' doesn't mean that no such experiment could ever succeed--it is worth looking into, determining why it failed. That can only happen, by owning our share of failure wrt to Ahern.

Urbs took him in to his home; he paired him with Tebow. Both great moves that were well calculated to influence Ahern.

...but urby let the locker room go a long time ago--and the locker room is THE place, where the culture of the team is most truly manifested--not the coach's house, nor the dorm room shared by any couple of players.

Not that I want us to actively recruit gang-bangers--but it would be nice to think that we could make a difference in a few kids' lost lives every now and then (and of course, some of those thugs can flat out ball--so it's not like we're talk'n about straight up 'charity' here).
  20. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +903
    You've read this article, right?
    http://www.rollingstone.com/feature/the-gangster-in-the-huddle

• Informative Informative x 2