Breakfast: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by oI2ange, Jun 2, 2012.

1. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    When I first took nutrition class in college, 'breakfast being good for you' was hammered into our heads. I carried that mentality with me for a while but am just starting to change.

Benefits of breakfast (I could be wrong on all of these, but these are what I think)-

-helps metabolism get started.
    -helps cut down hunger for lunch (so you'll eat a smaller lunch portion).
    -helps provide energy early in the day.

Potential 'meh' things about breakfast-

-extra calories
    -many breakfast products aren't really the healthiest (but I suppose you can say that about pretty much any food in the U.S.).

I probably went the last 4 years eating breakfast. The last 3 months, however, I've been experimenting with NOT eating breakfast. I'm trying to keep the mentality of just 'calories in/calories out', no matter what time of day it is- meaning that while breakfast may have some potential good benefits, I'm not going to eat extra calories if I don't feel the need.

I think breakfast is good if you wake up hungry or if you have a decent amount of work in the morning. Or maybe you have a habit you've built for years. And that's okay. But if you're on the fence in terms of being hungry/etc, why eat it? And yeah, I've read some of the statistics on 'skinnier people, on average, eat more breakfast than otherwise'...but then again, statistics don't ever really tell the true story (simply due to sample sizes, variance, poor methodology, or otherwise).

What's your stance on breakfast?
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    Breakfast is neither good or bad. It all comes to calories. It does not 'jumpstart the metabolism.'

Most seem to do better with breakfast. However, skipping breakfast can and does work as part of a *conscious strategy* to restrict calories. It certainly works for me as I'm pretty much an eating machine after 7pm.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Breakfast - the only meal of the day you actually can not skip.

Also, ask anyone who skips an early morning meal about the benefits you list and they will tell you they are less hungry and have more energy without it.

I gave up early morning meals slowly over the past year and now regularly break my fast (get it) around noon. Depending on my mood that day I may eat what one would consider breakfast foods or just dive straight into lunch. The past couple of days were eggs and bacon heavy so I am thinking today will be more lunch like.

For someone like you who has a propensity to overeat in a single meal I would say cutting out one meal from your day would be a good idea. Just to lessen the blow of those monsters if anything.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    If you eliminate one meal, as long as you eat *per usual* the remaining meals, you will lose weight ... providing you were not on weight-gain track to begin with.
  5. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,400
    Does it really matter in the long run? Calories are calories right?

100 calories, every hour (24) of every day for 7 days = 16,800 calories
    Typical Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, each 800 calories for 7 days = 16,800 calories
    Skipping breakfast, eating twice a day, each 1200 calories for 7 days = 16,800 calories
    skipping breakfast and lunch, eating once a day, for 2400 calories for 7 days = 16,800 calories
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    It's all calories. Now, granted, certain dietary tweaks may help to stem hunger. Still, it boils down to calories. You can do all your eating two hours before bedtime and, as long as you do not exceed energy deficit, you will not gain weight.
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    It's more important to eat four to five times a day than to eat "breakfast" per se. Eggs, bacon and many other breakfast things are good to eat, but it doesn't matter when you eat them. It's certainly good to work out early and eat a good protein rich meal afterwards. If you have a good, healthy breakfast ritual, you probably shouldn't change it.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    You can eat four or five times a day ... but why is this better ? Where in the world, outside of America, do you see people eating four or five times a day much ? :wink:

As an aside, if you opt to skip breakfast but like breakfast-type foods, as I do, why not have breakfast for lunch ? I had a bowl of oatmeal with banana slices today ? Other days I might have an omelet for lunch.
  9. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,400
    "breakfast" for dinner!

We do that in our house often.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    BRINNER!!!
  11. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    Agree with Dream -- calories in/calories out.
    I drink a protein shake every morning. Then I have a "breakfast" usually hard boiled eggs or oatmeal at 10:30. It sets me up really well for a sensible lunch. If I dont have those two snacks, I am starving by lunchtime and usually make poor choices.
  12. angelitaB

angelitaB New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Taking your breakfast is good. It is your starting meal of the day for you to have energy to start. It is really advisable for a person to take breakfast to feel and work well.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    angelitaB -

Welcome to the forum! Most would probably agree with you on breakfast. Others would not.
  14. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    I used to eat breakfast before work, just because that's what I've always done. However, I stopped eating breakfast and brought a fruit to work with me. I've done that for a couple months now and I've found that sometimes I get hungry in a couple hours after waking up, sometimes I don't get hungry until lunchtime. The fruit holds me over to lunch if I feel I need to eat it. So far I have lost 15 pounds and I haven't changed my other eating habits for other meals/snacks, and I don't really work out (I do go for a 1-2 mile walk maybe 3-4 times a week).
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    It is a myth that you need to eat around the clock for energy. Your body already has enough energy to last you for days, weeks and even months if necessary. It's around your waist and hips and thighs!

Now, it certainly is true that if you're accustomed to eating breakfast, and then you start skipping breakfast, that you are likely to feel funny for awhile.
  16. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I've been skipping breakfast for the past few weeks. I haven't really felt an overall change in energy. I'll probably continue to hold off on breakfast until I really need energy in the morning.
  17. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    I skip breakfast 80% of the time. I find that I don't get hungry until later when I skip it.

ie If I eat @ 9 am, I'm starved by 1.

If I don't I find that I'm not even ready for a snack until 2 or 3.
  18. ClowntownGator

ClowntownGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I've tried skipping breakfast, and for me it just starts my day off weird. I get hungry not long after waking up, and if I wait til lunch to eat, I'm not the most pleasant person to be around.

Breakfast is easily the most important meal for me.
  19. bovinagator

bovinagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Dr. Cade thought breakfast was the most important meal of the day. So much so he was disappointed in his sister and me that he came up with a high protein orange drink that we could gulp down in the mornings and keep on with our busy schedule.when he tried to market it, it failed to sell well. It was placed next to orange juice and didn't pour like orange juice as it was much thicker as it had many more ingredients to make equal to the nutrition you would get from eggs, toast, bacon and juice. While running late one night dr. Cade was lamenting the fact that the product had failed to catch on, I suggested that we freeze it and call it a popsicle, with some thought a frozen confection could carry more protein we began working on same at Dr. Cade's home and in the lab. ENG was thus created. This product was bought by Popsicle industries, Inc. And I bought the product then named 10 Plus at Ralphs grocery in Long Beach CA. having finished my degree program at UF and starting work for Teledyne. The product eventually failed as some of the dairy's that make Popsicles don't have the best quality control for multiple ingredient frozen confections.
    Just a story about an attempt to make a quick breakfast that took a strange turn.
  20. TroyGator

TroyGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    "Skipping breakfast has pretty consistently been linked to health risks - high blood pressure, overweight, and an unhealthy assortment of blood-fats, among them. But what's interesting is that the health effects of skipping breakfast - even being overweight - don't seem to be the result of indulging in extra "make-up" meals throughout the day. So it's not about just the calories: There seems to be something else at play."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2013/07/23/why-is-skipping-breakfast-so-bad-for-our-heart-health/