Braves leaving downtown

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by anstro76, Nov 13, 2013.

1. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
  2. atlmover

atlmover Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    A few things strike me about this

1 I can't believe how quiet all the involved parties kept it

2 Turner field is beautiful it seems a complete waste to have it sitting.

3 when will professional teams quit holding cities hostage for new stadiums? And why in the world do the people of the city wind up paying for these stadiums?

4 why are professional team stadiums not treated like college football. ....I.e. you upgrade and expand but you do not up and move the hole facility.
  3. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,497
    Turner field will be demolished, considering it is unlikely the US will get the summer games again for decades, it's sad to see an Olympic stadium, even one that is heavily altered, get the ax.

I hope this blows up in the Braves face, not a fan of stadiums miles away from the city name they carry.
  4. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Me neither. It's always nice having the skyline as the stadiums backdrop

Sent from my mind using ESP
  5. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,245
    Shame. That stadium is not even 20 years old.

Then again, the population of the greater Atlanta area has been moving farther and farther north.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  6. AlfaGator

AlfaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Good move by the Braves. Their fan base is to the north and the area around the Ted is a cesspool filled with predators.
  7. dohcvtecpower

dohcvtecpower Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    Agreed the area where turner field is in is simply not safe.
  8. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    ^^This. The City has been promising the Braves that they would fix up the surrounding areas at The Ted for a very long time. Yet nothing has happened. NOTHING!!! Parking is terrible, traffic is worse, its dangerous, and they could care less. I think the final straw was all the $$$ the City put out of the Falcons new stadium. The Braves saw that and decided it was time to go. Cobb County will no doubt have its issues, but at least the area is a little nicer. We will see if Cobb's decades old battle to keep MARTA out of the county continues. Should get interesting.

One thing is for sure, Reed is on the hot seat right now. He was already struggling to regain the revenue lost by the Thrashers (as small as it was), and now he has to replace the Braves. At the end of the day, half of the City's pro sports teams have left during his watch.
  9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    There are several factors to this. Yes, Turner Field is a really good baseball stadium and I like it being near downtown, but there are several issues:

1 - As was stated, the population center of Atlanta is now North of I-285 and GA-400. But it was when they build the stadium as well.

2 - The real problem with Turner Filed is the location. There is little parking and no MARTA rail service. people have to be shuttled by busses from MARTA. Cobb County isn't any better now, but this may be what brings the MARTA rail service to Marietta. Cobb has long blocked MARTA from coming that way, even setting up it's own bus service.

3 - Turner Field needs some upgrades. The Braves asked the city for about $250 million in stadium upgrades/renovations and that is the real issue. Because the city just committed about that amount toward the new football stadium, they weren't willing to commit additional money to Turner Field and that's where talks broke down.

4 - I think this deal really comes down to development opportunities around the stadium. The stadium is in a really bad neighborhood and nobody wants to develop anything around it, and it's understandable. I believe a KFC and a couple of low end hotels are the only things around the stadium. They had a Crown Plaza that was old GSU dorms and they couldn't get people to stay there because of the neighborhood.

Atlanta has always wanted to build some type of massive entertainment district downtown but the problem has always been crime. There's a lot of convention business and places like Underground did well for a while living on convention business, but when the conventions or other large groups aren't there, the thugs immediately move in and end up scaring the crowds off.

I believe, while they haven't announced any specific plans yet, that they intend to build a massive entertainment complex and develop the area around this new stadium. The Galleria and Cumberland Mall are already there and there's a convention center that I expect them to want to expand, a performing arts center and a couple of decent hotels. Those things are already there. And I know they have plans to develop new entertainment around the stadium.

Again, I haven't heard anything and I'm just making an educated guess here, but I suspect Cobb County envisions developing the area somewhat in the mold of L.A. Live in Los Angeles. Probably not on that scale but I could see the area around this new stadium becoming an entertainment epicenter of Atlanta. That's something they definitely can't ever do at Turner Field.

All that said, this isn't a done deal yet. There's already a lot of push back from people wanting to keep the Braves downtown and if nothing else, the Braves have solidified their bargaining position.
  10. nmd55

nmd55 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    As a resident of ATL. If the Braves want to leave, let them!

There is no scenario where the City of Atlanta should contribute 200 million dollars to finance unnecessary upgrades to the Turner Field. That money the Braves want will go straight into their owners pockets.

I like the way Mayor Reed is handling this situation. If they leave the city will demolish the stadium and put up some low income housing that will actually help the city!
  11. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    They can spin it anyway they want, but it all comes down to getting 450million from Cobb, and getting to own the land/development deals.

Any other reasons they give are secondary.
  12. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    Wait....you think losing the Braves, dynamiting The Ted, and building low income housing in its place benefits the city? They just tore down all that around The Dome because of the problems. Not sure If youve been to The Ted lately, but it needs repairs. A LOT of them. It needs a big time face lift. The number I heard was $125M but I may be wrong. IMO that is the price you pay for having the pro teams in your city. Reed didnt balk at Arthur when they stroked the check to the Falcons. All Ive heard since the announcement was that the area around The Ted would be developed into an "enormous middle class" area. Why havent they done that before now? I know people have been calling for this type of development for a very long time. I realize there are bigger issues needing attention like roads and other infrastructure, but what kind of development are you going to get for $200M when you factor in demolition of The Ted and all that entails?
  13. pcolafan

pcolafan Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    You can't blame the Braves for wanting to get away from that high crime, thug mentality area. It's the issue many cities are dealing with all over America.
  14. GatorRider

GatorRider Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Let's see.

Falcons home games per season: 8

Braves home games per season: 80+

Mayor Reed made the decision to put the city's money on the Falcons. Don't know how 8=80. Just another example of political math gone wrong.
  15. AlfaGator

AlfaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Alpharetta people consider the Ted geographically undesirable. If I go there I carry my peacemaker. It is my responsibility to protect my family. The cops are a joke.
  16. steve6137

steve6137 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    As a resident of East Cobb, I'm very excited about the move. I've spoken with several people who will be going to more Braves games when the new stadium opens.
  17. GSU_Gator

GSU_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    White Flight, plain and simple
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,063
    Can someone explain the math- how is it more effective to move a team and build a new stadium? How do these organizations just dump perfectly good stadiums? I just don't understand the math/finance.
  19. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    Watched a lot of gold medals won by Team USA in that place, truly a shame to tear it down.
  20. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    I think you need to get your information correct before you make statements. The Braves weren't asking the city to pay them anything, so no money would go into anybody's pocket. That's just a silly statement.

The Braves were asking the city to do the improvements to the stadium to secure a new 20 year lease with the Braves. I'm not sure how necessary the improvements were today, but I'm sure the Braves didn't feel comfortable signing another 20 year lease on a stadium that would be 40 years old at the end with no improvements.

As far as what Reed and the city did, it's hard to say. To put up housing, they're going to have to find a developer that's willing to invest in developing in a pretty run down area of town. That may be difficult to find.