Brad Stevens new Boston Celtics head coach

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, Jul 3, 2013.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,980
    I hate it when a guy I like goes to a Boston team.

First Timmy, Then Drisk to the BoSox.... now this...I'm a big fan of the way Stevens does things. He was great for the college game.
  2. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +601
    Don't know if this is a good choice or not, but it seems that Ainge has really rolled the dice on the new Celtics. Im sure Ray Allen is pretty happy that he bailed out last yr for Miami. As someone who has never rooted for the Celtics, this all looks pretty good to me.
  3. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +168
    This times 10.

I have a grudging respect for Stevens, because he saw how college refs had become tolerant of moving screens and hand checking and sliding under shooters and took advantage. So while I think he's smart that doesn't mean I have to like what he was doing to a game I love.

I freely admit my lack of objectivity here though. After all I had to watch my team get denied a trip to the FF because of a suddent and radical change in the offiiating to where we were being called for crap Stevens' team had been doing all game long. It still fills me with a David Bruce Banner level of fury. :devil:
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +586
    Makes sense for Stevens. Boston is in rebuild mode, and he could win only 20 games for the next two years and his job will be safe, while they build up some lottery picks, and Stevens makes bank. Then, in years 3 or 4, either Stevens becomes successful in Boston, or he leaves and returns for a big program in the NCAA, with a nice bank account, success at Butler, and "connections" in the league.

Not sure why Boston would take this chance. Successful college coaches rarely, if ever are successful in the NBA. Unless Ainge and the Celtics believe Stevens is a good talent evaluator and can build up a team that the next coach, in say 4 years, can get to the promised land. Sure, Stevens can be the exception and succeed where other college coaches have failed, but if I were Ainge, that's not a chance I would take.
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Larry Brown is the one college coach that did great in the NBA.

And when Stevens puts on his glasses he does look a little like Larry Brown.

We'll soon see if he can coach like him.
  6. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    I think the Celts were trying to make a big splash to sell some ducats & long gone in a short time. He is merely a stopgap measure until they can amass the tent to be competitive again
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    I kind of like Boston. Really like Rivers and wish he'd stayed. I can't imagine what a young coach like Stevens can do but I'll still pull for them except when they play the Bulls. Don't think I've got it in me to become a Clippers fan unless a couple of Gators end up on their roster. That or they have an amazing season next year and win four straight against the Heat in the finals. Then they'll be my second favorite team in the NBA.
  8. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I agree...I think he would still be a hot candidate for any NCAA team if he were to come back to college.